Fruits and Veggies vs Pellets

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello
I took Moses to a new Avian Vet on May 25th. Dr Hall has over 30 years avian experience and also does volunteer work for Florida Fish and Wildlife in Citrus County area.
I communiicated with Ecky Owners on Parrot Forum and was surprised to hear that some of their avian vets recommended a diet of pellets over fresh fruits and vegetables. The rational was the pellets were consistent in contents.
My avian vet recommended 85% fresh fruit and vegetables and only 15% pellets ( i use Tops) Moses loves them.
This was the 3rd Avian Vet I visited because the other 2 traumatized Moses when they went to take blood for the annual exam. I asked Dr Hall to give a little gas to Moses before trying to take blood and she agreed. Well everything went well Moses had no trouble or Trauma. I an hour or less he was back to Happy and Playful and Talkative self:)
The blood test revealed I need to lay off too many walnuts and use alomonds in stead and very small quantity to prevent fatty liver problems although his levels are good right now but slightly high.

So we are back to fruit and vegetables and 15% Tops pellets:)
Stay well and God Bless our fine feathered friends:)

Attachments

• Moses1.jpg
    Moses1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 22

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Moses is so beautiful! My vet said about the same for Nico’s diet.

Nico at the shelter was on a seed mix diet with pellets. From the research I did online immediately after getting Nico I came to the determination that pellets were a no/no for Ekkie’s. I was doing a lot of research because he was wing flipping, and toe tapping. So I didn’t feed him any pellets. I just fed him chop when I first got him. Then when I was finally able to find an avian vet I was told I was giving him the wrong diet.

I give Nico some treats like a boiled egg. He loves a piece of shrimp with nothing on it. I’ll give him a tiny piece of grilled salmon too. He gobbles this stuff right up. These are treats I give maybe once a month. They are his favorite surprisingly.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I think the ones that advocate that is due to the fact that a lot of people think fresh fruits and veggies means corn, carrots, peas, apples, and grapes. My vet asks for you to list all the veggies and fruits. She is the one that told me that for some people she suggest more pellets because all they are feeding is a bag of thawed frozen mixed vegetables consisting of peas, carrots, and corn.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I think the ones that advocate that is due to the fact that a lot of people think fresh fruits and veggies means corn, carrots, peas, apples, and grapes. My vet asks for you to list all the veggies and fruits. She is the one that told me that for some people she suggest more pellets because all they are feeding is a bag of thawed frozen mixed vegetables consisting of peas, carrots, and corn.
That could be why vets add pellets into their patients diet. Nico’s on the bird tricks chop. It has a lot of ingredients. I don’t see how he’s missing out on anything.

I made many batches of chop that Nico declined to eat so I caved, and followed someone else’s chop. It helped!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
That could be why vets add pellets into their patients diet. Nico’s on the bird tricks chop. It has a lot of ingredients. I don’t see how he’s missing out on anything.

I made many batches of chop that Nico declined to eat so I caved, and followed someone else’s chop. It helped!
Tequila wasn't a fan of their chop. I use Birdstreet bistro as my base and then add in a lot of fresh vegetables. Tequila doesn't care for Tops pellets either. So far her blood work has come back fine, so I am going to stick with what I am doing.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Tequila wasn't a fan of their chop. I use Birdstreet bistro as my base and then add in a lot of fresh vegetables. Tequila doesn't care for Tops pellets either. So far her blood work has come back fine, so I am going to stick with what I am doing.
I don't have an Ekkie but I love using Bird Street Bistro as a base for homemade chop. I add fresh diced red peppers, broccoli and some corn kernels for my budgie. Its fun to watch her hold a corn kernel in her beak and work the contents out into her mouth before dropping the empty kernel. The red peppers are a huge hit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts