Moses has Polyuria

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello, My poor guy Moses. He misses his buddy who passed on Oct 13th from cancer:(
Now for the past few days he has POLYURIA :( i noticed him drinking quite often and then of course peeing often. Never saw him do that:(
Research says Parrots are not usually observed drinking because there is usually enough water in their fruits and vegetables.
Our vet said it appear Moses has liver disease but she cannot see him for 3 to 4 weeks appointment January 14,2023.
I believe I need to take Moses in for blood tests and check up NOW.
Does anyone have experience with Polyuria?
Please advise
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Attachments

• 20220130_185700.jpg
    20220130_185700.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello, My poor guy Moses. He misses his buddy who passed on Oct 13th from cancer:(
Now for the past few days he has POLYURIA :( i noticed him drinking quite often and then of course peeing often. Never saw him do that:(
Research says Parrots are not usually observed drinking because there is usually enough water in their fruits and vegetables.
Our vet said it appear Moses has liver disease but she cannot see him for 3 to 4 weeks appointment January 14,2023.
Please advise
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
Oh Larry, I'm sorry to hear this news about Moses, especially so soon after having lost your beautiful Duchess! Parrots are so sensitive to our emotions though - I recall when I lost my little lorikeet Lilly, Fang my cockatiel reacted to my distress with a bout of polyuria. I took him to my vet for a check because of it and he could find no particular cause, but suggested he may very well be reacting to the way I was so devastated over Lilly's loss. Fang was not particularly fond of Lilly, but still he may have been distressed over her sudden absence and all the upset that surrounded it too. So I'm wondering if Moses' polyuria may have that as it's root cause? And perhaps your vet may be able to put you on a waitlist for an earlier appointment too. Praying that he will be ok!! 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Oh Larry, I'm sorry to hear this news about Moses, especially so soon after having lost your beautiful Duchess! Parrots are so sensitive to our emotions though - I recall when I lost my little lorikeet Lilly, Fang my cockatiel reacted to my distress with a bout of polyuria. I took him to my vet for a check because of it and he could find no particular cause, but suggested he may very well be reacting to the way I was so devastated over Lilly's loss. Fang was not particularly fond of Lilly, but still he may have been distressed over her sudden absence and all the upset that surrounded it too. So I'm wondering if Moses' polyuria may have that as it's root cause? And perhaps your vet may be able to put you on a waitlist for an earlier appointment too. Praying that he will be ok!! 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏
Hello and Thank you so much for your reply to my post.
I was thinking maybe his grieving caused the polyuria:(
My avian vet is not available for the next 3 weeks.
I contacted the University of Florida Hospital and Animal Clinic in Gainesville and they gave me advice and a contact with an avian vet in 3 days.
They stated it did not appear to be an emergency (and they really take emergency cases) and could wait for 3 days.
I believe they felt since he is eating normally and still active as he does wish to be with me and he does play with his toys as well.
So again thank you so much
Stay well and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I contacted the University of Florida Hospital and Animal Clinic in Gainesville and they gave me advice and a contact with an avian vet in 3 days.
They stated it did not appear to be an emergency (and they really take emergency cases) and could wait for 3 days.
I believe they felt since he is eating normally and still active as he does wish to be with me and he does play with his toys as well.
Stay well and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
You're most welcome, Larry! I'm so glad you were able to get Moses into a vet a bit earlier, and I hope he goes well 🙏🙏🙏 Emotional distress is hard enough to deal with, without there being anything else going on. It took Fang probably a good few months or so to come good again but he's back to his regular grumpy self now, so I hope the same is true for Moses. Without the "grumpy" bit of course, that is!!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Stay well and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
That's sad to hear.
We can't always get to a vet when we want to and knowing how quickly birds can deteriorate we hope and pray that it goes well.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I’m so sorry to hear Moses is not feeling himself. you Must be finding it very hard at this difficult time and of course just want your boy well again. I hope the vet will be able to give you some advice and medicine to help. I expect Moses is grieving with you and will be picking up on your emotions too. I really hope that it will all come right again for you x best wishes from Solo and me.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You're likely correct that Moses has POLYURIA, but I do not think that it was the loss of his close friend. as Polyuria is fairly common in the environment.

Change-up the home cleaning practice as it can spread with some easy. Primarily target separating his stuff from everyone else's and running the dish washer on hot! (remember to not wash light plastic parts in the dish washer).

Replace his water dish often and provide Cold water.

Good on you for getting him into a Vet quickly!

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
You're likely correct that Moses has POLYURIA, but I do not think that it was the loss of his close friend. as Polyuria is fairly common in the environment.

Change-up the home cleaning practice as it can spread with some easy. Primarily target separating his stuff from everyone else's and running the dish washer on hot! (remember to not wash light plastic parts in the dish washer).

Replace his water dish often and provide Cold water.

Good on you for getting him into a Vet quickly!
Please advise
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
One of my parrots had polyuria when he went super hormonal-which is one symptom of it. He also has possible kidney disease & had liver issues. The liver issues were cured by giving him a lactulose/milk thistle/dandelion root extract solution (this is prescription only by the vet) 2x's daily in his food for about a month. It helps heals the liver. If you are unable to see a vet & you know for sure he has liver problems, you can buy the milk thistle extract (it comes in a dropper bottle) & also the dandelion root extract online from amazon or drug stores. Make sure you buy organic & made with NO alcohol. A couple drops of each over food 2x's daily will start to help him. A full blood panel at the vet will show if he has liver or kidney issues, etc. Kidney issues are not uncommon in older birds & if they eat a lot of pellets that are high in protein (like Harrison's), it can cause excessive water drinking & polyuria. I have 2 parrots now who are older & both are becoming intolerant of the pellets they had eaten for years with no problems & I've had to switch up their diets. Just like humans who get older & suddenly develop a food allergy, the same can happen with birds, or they can no longer tolerate so much protein or other ingredients like soy & corn.

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Please advise
Thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN ?

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN ?
Hello I am 100 miles north of Tampa Florida in Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida. The problem i see after going to 4 different so called avian vets is that they may know chickens and other birds and act like they know Solomon Island Eclectus (or they assume the eckies are like the african and south & central american parrots) (Wrong) so i m thinking of trying orlando or gainseville florida. Do you have any suggestions my friend
Thank you and Happy New Year and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m so sorry to hear about Moses. I hope he feels better. Hopefully by now things have improved.

I have seen this in all 3 of my parrots. The watery stools. This especially took place when I was changing their diets. I’ve also noticed it during molting times?!? A few of my parrots were adopted, and were on a seed diet. I changed them to pellets, and use seeds as treats. This is the worst I’ve ever seen it. Sometimes after I give veggies this happens too. I guess I never investigated it further because it cleared up, and my parrots looked, and acted healthy other than this watery stool symptom. They were still eating, playing, and coming out of their cages to engage.

If you find out anything please do share. Maybe I can learn more about this, and why it takes place.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I’m so sorry to hear about Moses. I hope he feels better. Hopefully by now things have improved.

I have seen this in all 3 of my parrots. The watery stools. This especially took place when I was changing their diets. I’ve also noticed it during molting times?!? A few of my parrots were adopted, and were on a seed diet. I changed them to pellets, and use seeds as treats. This is the worst I’ve ever seen it. Sometimes after I give veggies this happens too. I guess I never investigated it further because it cleared up, and my parrots looked, and acted healthy other than this watery stool symptom. They were still eating, playing, and coming out of their cages to engage.

If you find out anything please do share. Maybe I can learn more about this, and why it takes place.
Hello and Thank you for your advice:) I suspect it also may be hormonal? i am looking for an avian vet who really know Solomon Island Eclectus in north central florida at this time:) last vet insisted i give 80% pellets, 15% vegetables and only 5% fruit:(

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hello and Thank you for your advice:) I suspect it also may be hormonal? i am looking for an avian vet who really know Solomon Island Eclectus in north central florida at this time:) last vet insisted i give 80% pellets, 15% vegetables and only 5% fruit:(
Hello thank you for your reply
I recently read a post and i believe in Moses case it may be the issue.
The post indicated Moses may be drinking more water and he is more hormonal than usual. At east three times a day he is observed humping the front door floor mat,, also going under the wall unit of the tv, bringing toys objects, etc under the wall unit.
The post indicated definte hormonal and may be cause by enlarged testicles...here is the post- "If he's doing that (masturbating on things). he is 100% hormonal. This is the most common thing male birds do & they only do that behavior normally when they are hormonal. So, there's a real good change the polyuria could be from that-swollen testicles
I did research this and it appears accurate:)
I hope this will add to your knowledge as well as mine
stay well and God Bless
Larry az fl cowboy

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The post indicated Moses may be drinking more water and he is more hormonal than usual. At east three times a day he is observed humping the front door floor mat,, also going under the wall unit of the tv, bringing toys objects, etc under the wall unit.
The post indicated definte hormonal and may be cause by enlarged testicles...here is the post- "If he's doing that (masturbating on things). he is 100% hormonal. This is the most common thing male birds do & they only do that behavior normally when they are hormonal. So, there's a real good change the polyuria could be from that-swollen testicles
stay well and God Bless
Larry az fl cowboy
I am a bit skeptical of the "swollen testicles" theory as Birds are fundamentally designed for minimum weight to support flight!. Hormonal season and how often sexual activities occur should reduce the weight and swelling should not become an issue unless an injury occurs. Swelling as a result of an injury, I can support that thinking, but not being active.

Just my two cents!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
stay well and God Bless
Larry az fl cowboy
Nico also mates with perches, toys, and me 😑 he’s one hormonal Ekkie. It’s a daily occurrence. I do my best to ignore it. Putting him back in his cage doesn’t change anything. Telling him no obviously he doesn’t care about. He regurgitates on the three above as well. He’s a lover. I just wished I understood the feather plucking that is linked to hormones so I could cure the issue. Unfortunately I’m not that smart. Nico has a good diet. I’ve tried changing his environment around. He is still hormonal 🤦‍♀️ I’ve just learned to enjoy his company, and the funny things he does.

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Hello I am 100 miles north of Tampa Florida in Beverly Hills, Citrus County, Florida. The problem i see after going to 4 different so called avian vets is that they may know chickens and other birds and act like they know Solomon Island Eclectus (or they assume the eckies are like the african and south & central american parrots) (Wrong) so i m thinking of trying orlando or gainseville florida. Do you have any suggestions my friend
Thank you and Happy New Year and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
It may be worth the trip to see Dr. Joel Murphy . He is in Palm harbor , Fl people travel all over to bring there feathered babies to see him and to opperate if they have a broken wing etc. This man has wrote books , he has maid pre biotics . He goes out to the amazon and gets things he needs , and he is a major scuba diver and photographer . He is the guro of vets and birds .. If you go Tell him michele piazza sent you . He is a nice guy very smart . Good luck my friend ..

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Nico also mates with perches, toys, and me 😑 he’s one hormonal Ekkie. It’s a daily occurrence. I do my best to ignore it. Putting him back in his cage doesn’t change anything. Telling him no obviously he doesn’t care about. He regurgitates on the three above as well. He’s a lover. I just wished I understood the feather plucking that is linked to hormones so I could cure the issue. Unfortunately I’m not that smart. Nico has a good diet. I’ve tried changing his environment around. He is still hormonal 🤦‍♀️ I’ve just learned to enjoy his company, and the funny things he does.
Hi sorry for the delay , havent been on .. not really why dont you look him up or you can do a goole search . but like i mentoned my friend owns Florida Exotic Bird Sancutary and she brings her birds there for all kinds of issues . Dr. Murphy even is know South Naples by another Avairy owner same with her . Surgeries they go to him . you said he has pylora ? As for the mating my other Eckie he did the mating thing with me that was a mistake once they start for get it . but sugar and the pellets have a lot to do with that . is he on any fruiti pellets . if so Stop them . They have fake dye and sugar . Harrisons is the best designed by a avaian vet . my guy loves red peppers , orange some green beans corn . but not a big vegie eater . you have to watch sugar with them will make hormones go nuts and cause a yeast infection . As for nuts Wallnuts very important , almonds , pistachios . Fruit not much cause its always ripe , green banana , plantain green . small pice of apple . They are tree top eaters so the fruit is not ripe yet unlike cockatoos my other favorite there bottom feeders . So if you go see doc joel murphy go by the sancuary let me know will give you the address and see my friend pat she can help you also .. you will love seeing all the birds she has just about everything you can imangine .

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hello Yes my Moses is also a Lover, he only tries to feed me somedays, He also calls out for "Where's Daddy" when I go out for a few hours, my wife responds "he went out but he will come back" then he says "Daddy come back, NOW" my wife says he come back soon, then he says "Okay" quite talented:) he usually makes love to the front door mat first thing in the morning then he is find the rest of the day:) he lost his best friend (my 14 year old german shepherd service dog:( and Moses oftens says - "Where's my Duchy", or sometimes "Duchy want to go outside". Duchess favorite toy was a red ball, and now Moses treasurers that red ball and looks for it everyday in his toy box.
I use a snatizer machine to santize it every night so it will be clean and santized for the next day:) thank you for your post and god bless

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-09-08-00-14-271.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-09-08-00-14-271.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 5

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Have you gotten your blood panel done yet? This is an older post and honestly I didn't read every single comment from everyone so I might be missing some context!!! I got overwhelmed lol but I wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

I've never had an eclectus and I do know they can be more delicate in terms of GI business, but I've had multiple birds who've gone through polyuria issues which sent me into a panic... but their blood panels came back normal. My cockatiel Bitty just drank like a fish and her poops were very wet but her blood work never came up with liver function issues. My lovebird has very wet poops as well, jury is still out on whether that's just "a lovebird thing" honestly since she's the only lovebird I've ever had but her bloodwork has always been perfectly normal and she has no other clinical signs.

Bitty would stress drink. She was a generally anxious tiel and I think that while polyuria can of course be a sign of some bad things, in her case it was purely anxiety, and I wonder if it's the same for Moses, since he just went through a big life change??

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Have you gotten your blood panel done yet? This is an older post and honestly I didn't read every single comment from everyone so I might be missing some context!!! I got overwhelmed lol but I wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

I've never had an eclectus and I do know they can be more delicate in terms of GI business, but I've had multiple birds who've gone through polyuria issues which sent me into a panic... but their blood panels came back normal. My cockatiel Bitty just drank like a fish and her poops were very wet but her blood work never came up with liver function issues. My lovebird has very wet poops as well, jury is still out on whether that's just "a lovebird thing" honestly since she's the only lovebird I've ever had but her bloodwork has always been perfectly normal and she has no other clinical signs.

Bitty would stress drink. She was a generally anxious tiel and I think that while polyuria can of course be a sign of some bad things, in her case it was purely anxiety, and I wonder if it's the same for Moses, since he just went through a big life change??
Hello
Yes this is an old post.
I did have all the bloodwork done and all appears normal.
We are suspecting Hormonal issuse.
But Moses is doing well Now
Thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts