Full spectrum lighting

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I have finally convinced my father to allow me to switch all of the lightbulbs in my bedroom to full spectrum lightbulbs, after having it highly recommended by a bird-loving friend. She said she has had wonderful improvements to her birds' health from using them.
Has anyone here who uses them noticed any kindof a difference, and if so, what have you noticed? My bulbs wont be here for several days, but I like to know what to expect either way!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Hmm. I haven't really noticed anything, but Avery had always had exposure to either natural sunlight or UVB. I do know that when I brought her home from the pet store she came to me with terrible, damaged, and stress marked feathers. Nearly all of those are molted and her feathers are beautifully glossy, healthy, and so soft to cuddle my face into... hehe.

Especially because I live in Canada and we basically experience winter 8 out of the 12 months, having UVB in my lights gives me piece of mind, but I don't use them in my actual light bulbs simply because I'm scared of long term effects and over exposure (I'm overly paranoid...). Instead I use a light that's made for people who experience SAD, and I'm really happy with it. Avery really likes having it on, too :)

Side note edit: her feather change has, more than likely, everything to do with her diet change. I do also take her for car rides to expose her to the sun during the winter, as car windows don't have the same UVA/UVB block as house windows do.

Last edited:

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
Just a head's up: UVB, while being great for most animals, does cause sun burn on skin when you're under it for a prolonged amount of time if you're using a 10.0. At a 5.0, you may notice some tanning.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that full spectrum bulbs are also completely ineffective if not used at a proper distance. Most bulbs must be within 24" of the bird or less.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Instead I use a light that's made for people who experience SAD, and I'm really happy with it. Avery really likes having it on, too :)

What kind of light is this? I am also in Canada and that sounds like an awesome addition to their lighting.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Peeko,

Use your search function here in the forum as it's been discussed countless times on full spectrum lighting. It doesn't do a thing! It's no different just to light up using a regular florescent bulbs. When trying to replicate sun light they need high strong bulbs that would cost way more then what you would be paying for and they only generally last for about 9 months at the most before you need to change bulbs. And they don't use regular lighting fixtures either and depends on the kind you get you may need to run with a ballast.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Terry, the lamp I use is called a "Day Light" by Uplift Technologies. It doesn't come with a huge stand or anything, but you can easily wall mount it and it has two different settings of "brightness", or in other words exposure. They're quite expensive, though. Here's a link to it:

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Day-Light-Uplift-Technologies-000-Lamp/dp/B0009MFUWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394304748&sr=8-2&keywords=Day+light"]Day-Light Uplift Technologies 10,000 Lux Sad Lamp: Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
i have Avian sun lights over almost all the cages now, but will look into this as well:) It is so dark here most of the time:(
What part of Canada are you in? (If you don't mind me asking)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Hmm looks like I need to research this lamp more - it's not full spectrum, it just "mimicks" sunlight. I feel silly :p

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Don't feel silly! There are new things to learn every single day, I think:)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
I'm originally from BC and am currently living in Saskatchewan, just recently became a resident, haha! I'm finishing my schooling here in Saskatoon, I have my degree in biology and will be finishing my Education degree next year :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
A resident? Are you from another country originally? I only ask because I am originally from the US and became a landed resident a few years ago:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Have you done any research on this, Mikey? Or spoken to people who have?

Where I can't speak for Mikey, I've heard it from a couple avian vets. Now, I'm sure these avian vets haven't literally conducted scientific studies on the bulbs in order to arrive at this conclusion, so it may just be a matter of opinion or educated guess?

Then again, if zoos and professionals have used it for years, then there has to be some advantage? Unless... maybe it was the old school of thought many years ago that these bulbs did provide benefit which outweighed costs, when they really don't - and no one has looked deeper into it over the years, which is why they're still widely accepted? Perhaps? THIS IS COMPLETELY A GUESS, AND I VERY WELL COULD BE WRONG. I'm interested in your educated opinion of this NiRD :)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
I think ultimately, at the end of the day, sunlight is and always will be best, and imitating the sun is incredibly hard, hence why many struggle with SAD to begin with (thankfully I never purchased the lamp myself, it came with my boyfriend ;) ). That's why I've never relied on my lamp to begin with and Avery comes with me in car rides during sunny days during the winter.

And Terry, I wasn't out of country, just out of province. I needed to obtain provincial residency in order to have my health card :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have you done any research on this, Mikey? Or spoken to people who have?

I actually have yes! Plus I read in deep details on the testing result conducted by some top veterinarian and scientist. Plus I did saltwater fish tank for 7 years where the top bulb tester (Yoshi), he did all kinds of testing of bulbs and in the club we have a meter that test lighting. So yea I've done my home work.

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
Yes, absolutely. Nothing can or will take the place of actual real time in the sunlight. Bringing birds outside daily isn't exactly doable for some of us, though. Also, anybody who has ever rehabilitated an animal with metabolic bone disease will tell you that this simply doesn't happen with animals who are given a proper diet and have access to properly used UVB.

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Well, I feel kindof silly now I guess. But I was going off of a friend's avian vet that specifically told her to purchase full spectrum bulbs for the health of her birds. *shrugs* Oh well.

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
That is, she had a bird who was sick and the vet (I believe it was a vet from Night Owl Bird Hospital in Canada) told her to buy full spectrum bulbs to use around the bird to help him recover (along with medicines) and to keep using the bulbs to increase the overall health of all of her birds.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
I don't think it's wrong to use UVB lighting, Peeko :) I would just use it in moderation is all. And try to make sure they get as much actual sunlight as possible, if possible. It's not easy to always do, like Nird has mentioned, but it is best. I could see the medical purposes behind using it for an injured bird for sure. Moderation is always key! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts