Future owner researching and looking for input!

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
I am a 21 year old college student in a physics major. I have owned a few birds in my life and waited for a long span to mature enough to own a parrot on my own. I will either be living with my parents or hopefully in my own ( bird friendly) apartment. I have done a good deal of research and have narrowed my choices down to only a few species, and I have plenty of time to decide because at the moment my parents will not allow a bird into the house, thanks to my brother and him breeding lovebirds for a few years. So I am here looking for advice, and recommendations on everything from the breed I should get to the cage and perches to buy.

I can't wait to get involved and have a companion.

Drezzan

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Welcome to the forum ! You'll find all the information and research you need right here , we give good advice ! What kind of breed do you have in mind ?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You never did say what did you narrow down to???

OP
D

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
I have really come to love the green cheeked conures. They are adorable and seem to be what I would be looking for, a companion that wasn't too big or insanely hard to care for, well more than any other bird.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
That's a good popular choice, if I ever decide on a conure again that would be my choice as well....as I'm not a super big fan on conures....

OP
D

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
I only have a few thing that determine the type of bird I would like. I can't get a known screamer, I know they all can and will scream but the sun conure does it consistently and that would not suit for an apartment. I want my bird to be my friend not a decoration. I would rather an affectionate 'in the way' parrot than have it be stand offish. I would want it to like to 'ride' around on my shoulder. I owned a cockatiel as my first bird and I loved having a companion where ever I was and I would like to find that again.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
They're noisy and needy, LOL. You will find people who love or dislike most every species. Why not go with another tiel?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
LoL.....I'm with henpecked there....I can not stand their scream!!!! I have macaw and cockatoo here, I can tolerate them better then conures.....

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
How can you tolerate a bunch of macaws and cockatoos, one of the worlds ear splitting birds and not stand a small little parrot ? Lol its the opposite for me

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Green cheek conures are PERFECT. Friendly, quiet, lovely. I would liken them to budgies and cockatiels on ease of care but have more personality and appeal. And less bitey. LOL

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I'm not so much a conure person but that's just me. My old roommate's gcc had to be on you, all the friggin time. It was cuddly and smart, but there are times when I want to play games or read a book and not have a bird on me.

I've always liked the ringneck species for their independance. I know a lot of people are turned off by them because they're not known to be cuddly. I've had two irns and an Alex. One irn was cuddly, the other liked petting on her terms, and the Alex will flip his lid if you try and pet him. They all, however, are extremely affectionate, interactive, and clearly like humans. The advantage about them is that I can put them on a playstand or give them toys and they can occupy themselves while I do something else.

Of course, that's just me. I say get the bird you want, but try and handle as many birds as you can. I've always wanted a grey and Sun conure, but in the end it was the ringnecks who won me over.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
How can you tolerate a bunch of macaws and cockatoos, one of the worlds ear splitting birds and not stand a small little parrot ? Lol its the opposite for me

Go to a place where they have all types of birds around. Conure's scream is constant, at least my Macaw and Cockatoo doesn't do that!!!! My partner used to want a Sun Conure, when we got Dixie the LSC too, they also had two Sun Conures they asked me to take along with me. I declined them! My partner wanted them and I said no you don't want them. After we've been to bird shows and others who have conures, my partner finally understood what I mean and neither one of us wants conures in the house. I've had conures in the past and that's why I know how they can be. I had two at one point and one passed away but the other one is still with my best friend up north. IF something were to happen to him, I'm gonna have to take that conure in cause I'm sure she will be willed to me cause my brother bought them for me...I'm not looking forward to that ever....

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I'm with you Mikey! LOL I am not a fan of birds who make repetitive noise, especially if its high pitched and the exact same sound each time. Sun conures... never, ever, ever again!

Green cheeks are different though. Ive owned three now and they are nothing what so ever like the suns and nandays. I rate them with cockatiels and budgies. They rarely make any high pitched sounds, more little squawks here and there, mostly they "peep" and chatter like a budgie. Mine are silent most of the day :)

But if you dont like in your hair birds, then a GCC isnt the bird for you either. They are the snuggliest bird under the sun.

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
i am bias - i LOVE my alex!!! abit bigger than a concure, and i dont know much about conures, so good luck in your choice. have you got a large bird shop or breeders that you could go in and spend time with the birds?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I almost brought home a sun conure. Almost. She said he was a good apartment bird, but the one squawk he did make during our meeting was super loud and ear piercing. I have a macaw now, and when he screams for me (it's not too bad, but I'm working on it anyway), it's nothing like that. It can be annoying and loud, but not ear piercing.

Just my two cents. =)

Each bird is individual though. Macaws are reputed for being very loud, but this one isn't particularly noisy most of the time. He only screams if he is in the cage and wants attention (which isn't most of the time; he is either out, or wanting to be by himself), or sometimes if I leave the room, but not usually. I have also read of GCCs on here being loud. I wouldn't get a 'too though, because I read too many horror stories about them, LOL.

Marley69

Nov 9, 2012
Cali
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
African gray
2 ring necks
I heard conures are really atach to people where the point that they cant leave ur side for a minute... It migh not be true even tho i heard it from in expert but i believe all birds are different an cant judge a breed just cause one did it lol i like the sunconure more, never owned one tho lol i have a b&g macaw, 2 ring necks and a african gray :D

OP
D

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
Th research I did, through many things including videos of their call, showed many types of conures to be very loud namely the sun conure. I have seen all of the sites list green cheeked as the quietest conure and one of the quieter birds in general. The videos all show them having a more crackling chatter instead of an ear piercing screech.

To address henpecked's question, I would rather a conure because I have had tiels and lovebirds and wanted to get a bird with some more personality. There is the other smaller factor that it is nice to be different!

OP
D

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
I was wondering if a parrot will be ok if I spend some one on one play time and then have it out with me as I complete school work. Other birds I owned would hop around and chew the papers or sit on my head. I never minded it and actually like having them pal around. My question is more about social needs. I won't get the bird if I can't keep it happy, so if I have my lunch and play with the bird then keep him out and do work will he be happy? I don't mind taking breaks and playing but I do have long study sessions, especially during exam time.

OP
D

Drezzan

Nov 8, 2012
Oh and Thingamagigs, I don't mind the cuddlyness in fact I'd rather have an affectionate bird. As for the hair it wouldn't bother me if I had any, I went with the buzz cut but my gf wants me to grow it a bit so maybe the little guy will be able to catch a ride when i finally get him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts