GCC- Standing on One foot-- When to worry?

creedfire

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello! I have had my GCC for a little over a year now, and after her most recent vet visit she has been favoring her left foot. Now she does stand on one foot, but not this frequently or with this much favoritism. I've looked at it, now visible cuts or wounds; she still uses it to run around and grab things. The only thing different is the frequency of the foot standing and the temperature, the foot she is keeping up is a bit warmer.

She frequently attempts to lift heavy bowls so the running theory is she dropped something on her foot and bruised it.

Am I over-reacting? Is she probably fine or should I call the vet?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Update 4/11

Hi everyone! I ended up taking Asa to the vet and the vet said she was perfectly fine!
Unfortunately, this does mean I haven't gotten any reasoning for her 'Flamingo-ing' and Extra cuddly behaviors. My new theory is that she just wants my attention or is just really happy!

I don't know if Asa is smart enough to fake being sick for attention, but I know that if she is smart enough, that is 100% something she would do.

Last edited:

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
A good rule of thumb is to always see a vet if you are concerned. Birds can be very good at hiding their illnesses and injuries until it becomes more of an issue. My conure Maddox will often stand on one leg. especially when sleeping or just resting. This is a very common behavior in birds, so its likely not a huge issue with your conure, especially if she is still using it to hold onto and grab things. To ease your mind however, a qualified avian vet will be able to easily tell if there is some kind of injury to your birds foot. Keep us updated!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Phoenix as well did this a lot. Sleeping with one foot pulled up into.his feathers. But he switched feet on a regular basis. If yours is always pulling the same foot up that may be an issue.
20220706_180420.jpg

Sleepy Phoenix, as you can see he has it right foot up in his feathers.
20200301_132404.jpg

And here it's his left one tucked.

Mya the ringneck

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Texas
Parrots
Indian Ringneck(Mya)
African Greys(Curly)(Sydney)
Galah Cockatoo(Max)
Hello! I have had my GCC for a little over a year now, and after her most recent vet visit she has been favoring her left foot. Now she does stand on one foot, but not this frequently or with this much favoritism. I've looked at it, now visible cuts or wounds; she still uses it to run around and grab things. The only thing different is the frequency of the foot standing and the temperature, the foot she is keeping up is a bit warmer.

She frequently attempts to lift heavy bowls so the running theory is she dropped something on her foot and bruised it.

Am I over-reacting? Is she probably fine or should I call the vet?
the only thing i could think of would be maybe arthritis in her feet or for some reason her foot is inflamed maybe. i work at a pet store where we have mainly birds some of which being green cheek conures and i have not seen this in that species

OP
creedfire

creedfire

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
the only thing i could think of would be maybe arthritis in her feet or for some reason her foot is inflamed maybe. i work at a pet store where we have mainly birds some of which being green cheek conures and i have not seen this in that species
The vet said she didn't have anything wrong with her which is a relief!

OP
creedfire

creedfire

Mar 30, 2024
Media
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Phoenix as well did this a lot. Sleeping with one foot pulled up into.his feathers. But he switched feet on a regular basis. If yours is always pulling the same foot up that may be an issue.
View attachment 58504
Sleepy Phoenix, as you can see he has it right foot up in his feathers.
View attachment 58505
And here it's his left one tucked.
Phoenix is such a handsome young man!
Asa does switch, but she definitely favors her dominant foot. Luckily the vet said she was healthy!

Most Reactions