Advice on hormones

Eccie-centric

New member
Joined
Jul 2, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
5
Parrots
Eclectus and Queen of Bavaria
Hi, this is my first post.

I visit a sort of parrot zoo every week, and have been going for 16 years. There's the cutest eclectus, and In the last 2 years I've been getting to know a Queen of Bavaria conure too. She's always been a real sweetie, she loves cuddles and is great with nervous children. I'll sit for 4 or 5 hours just talking nonsense to them, and now they chatter their noises back. In the last month, however, I've noticed she's been more vocal, and she's been changing towards me. 4 weeks ago she started to bite me hard, she's only ever nibbled before. She'll bite anywhere she can, my ears, face, neck, hands etc. It's do out of character, I mean in the past when she's been unwell and stopped eating, the zoo staff give her to me to see if I can tempt her, and I'vebeen able to. I've only ever stroked her on her head or beak, as I know stroking all over can cause hormonal behaviour. She seems fine with everyone else. I wondered if the problem was that I'd done something to upset her, so last week I didn't hold her. This week, though, when I said hi to her she started to flutter her wings, and when the staff brought her over to me, she flutted so excitedly that she almost fell of them, they had to catch her. She's been regurgitating a lot over the past month, but not trying to feed me, she just sits on my shoulder and does it. Today it was like she had multiple personalities, and the only time she seems completely happy is when she's trying to put her beak in my ear.
The one thing I can think of is, about 6 weeks ago another visitor and his children were crowded around my shoulder, trying to pick her up and feed her, and wouldn't back off when I tried to tell them she had had enough. Is she hormonal, or does she now see me as the bad guy? If so, why is only me she's attacking, but also trying to get to?

Sorry for the long post, and TIA for any advice and suggestions
 
  • Care
Reactions: AMD
Back
Top Bottom