General Questions about Lovebird Pairs

AmazonServant

Jun 24, 2011
I've been really tempted lately to get a lovebird, or two. I love alone in a studio apartment with my Amazon. Essentially, I'm pretty guilty of the "I want another pet, but nothing too big or demanding" thing. Don't want to leave a dog alone while I'm at work, don't want to get another loud, messy expensive parrot who would take too much of my time or attention away from my Amazon. I've always thought lovebirds were absolutely adorable, and I'd love to have some little guys chirping away at home with me. I'm not about to go out and buy some (I prefer adoption), but I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for unwanted birds whose owners have gotten bored or tired of them. So, I guess I should break down my questions:

-How much daily attention do lovebirds need? The same amount as parrots?

-Does having a pair of lovebirds make them require less human attention?

-I'm fine with them loving each other more than they'd love me, but do lovebird pairs generally allow humans to handle them and pick them up? In that case, would they have to remain inside their cage all the time?

-What if I don't want them to breed? Does not having a place to nest discourage breeding? What about same-sex pairs, does that work out or does it lead to disaster?

-Are there any behavioral differences between the different kinds of lovebirds, or do they only differ in pigment?

-What do you think makes lovebirds so special that you decided to get one?

Steadam2011

Jul 15, 2011
seattle
What you need to do is keep both pairs in separate cages away from the aviary and also to quarantine your new birds,

If they are the same species,release them at the same time into the Aviary,the reason for this is to show that they are new to the aviary and not one pair is the dominant,or this could lead to disastrous results,such as death, maiming,because one pair have taken over.

Lovebirds are not as loveing as their name suggests and can be very aggresive to new comers.

Famous Gossip
Celebrity News bulletin
World Entertainment News[/URL]http://applebeescoupons.ws/

Last edited:

IolaniAviary

Aug 2, 2011
Parrots
Lovebirds- Mango, Spyros, Ele, Aonani
Cockatiels- Pineki
Quakers- Maggie
Conures- Paco
If you want a quiet bird, do NOT get Lovebirds. My Lovebirds are the loudest bird I own. It's a constant, non stop chatter on top of the random screaming.

-How much daily attention do lovebirds need? The same amount as parrots? Yes! If you want a tame Lovebird, expect to put just as much time into it as you would any large one.

-Does having a pair of lovebirds make them require less human attention? Yes! Just don't expect them to have a bond with you. If you don't work with them both constantly they will revert to a much more wild behavior and bond together instead of with you.

-I'm fine with them loving each other more than they'd love me, but do lovebird pairs generally allow humans to handle them and pick them up? In that case, would they have to remain inside their cage all the time? I'd say no. My female Mango used to fly out of the cage to try and bite our faces if you opened her cage. She has came along way, but will draw blood. I have 3 others who are ok with being held, but they were hand-raised and then not worked with which caused them to revert.

-What if I don't want them to breed? Does not having a place to nest discourage breeding? What about same-sex pairs, does that work out or does it lead to disaster? Same sex pairs can become a problem once they reach the age of sexual maturity. That friend is now competition for finding a mate. Lovebirds can be known to lay in dishes and on grates, which is a chronic laying condition. Removing the nest can help though.

-Are there any behavioral differences between the different kinds of lovebirds, or do they only differ in pigment? I work with Peachface, but none of the mutations change their attitude. Do you mean sub-species?

-What do you think makes lovebirds so special that you decided to get one? They are my favorite! They have the personality of the big birds in a little package.

Most Reactions

Latest posts