Getting a new oven. Should I be worried?

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Hello everyone! I haven't been around in a while and I missed the forums! I have a question regarding a new oven. My current oven is only 5 years old, but something got messed up and it's not worth repairing so I am going to just buy a new one. I am really nervous about using it since it will be brand new and may give off a smell. You know, like any new appliance or a new gas fireplace for example. Of course, I'm not talking about self cleaning which will never happen. I'm worried about cooking a lasagna LOL.
Should I take the birds to the basement for the first month that I use the oven? Has anyone here got a new oven and used it with no problems? I don't know if I'm being a bit paranoid about this, but I just wanted to be on the safe side and see what your experiences were.

Thanks everyone!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forum Kalel, you certainly have come to the right place with a question like that!
As far as I know the most dangerous part of an oven is if it has a self-cleaning function. If the interior of the oven is coated in non-stick material, the self cleaning function heats that to a much higher temperature than during regular use, resulting in fumes that are definitely deadly to birds. Whether youā€™d have a similar problem using a brand new oven Iā€™m not sure, but another member here will probably advise you.

You also need to be VERY careful of any item containing non-stick coating, including irons, hairdryers, non-stick cookware, anything containing Teflon essentially. One member here lost a bird due to the gases given off by an airfryer. Even those cook-in-bag oven bags are trouble, as are scented candles, diffusers, air fresheners, hairspray, perfume, cigarette smoke, the list goes on! Also heavy metals such as zinc and aluminium will kill a bird and sometimes youā€™ll have no idea how on earth they managed to get hold of it!

Other members will no doubt add more no-noā€™s to that list. Thank you for reaching out, in doing so you may have saved a little birdie life!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hmm very good question. I know you won't use the self-clean function etc...and make sure there is no Teflon/PTFE/PTFOA in your new oven walls/coils etc. Assuming all of that checks out, I would still be initially cautious.

I am scared to use things for the first time around my bird as they often have a sort of chemical odor when they get started...one that goes away after 1-2 uses.

If it is possible, could you run the oven while your bird is out for the day (At a friends)? NOT EVERY TIME YOU COOK, but just in case there is some factory residue in there that needs to burn off or off-gas on the first try ? I am paranoid too--- No matter what, I would get are circulating/ windows open etc.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi Kalel! I am so happy to see you posting, I have missed you!
Hope to see you at the next bird show next weekend!

Take Lemon outside and run the oven up to 450F for 30 min! Air the house out afterwards!

This is also what I have heard to do.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Do two things: 1. Make sure it's PFC- free (PFany2letters) and Teflon- free (polytetraflouroethylene, PTFanything); 2. Regardless, do not use the self-clean function. The first time you use the oven, remove the birds from your house for at least 1 hour after and open the windows (preferably with fans running).

Last edited:
OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Thanks everyone! I was thinking along the lines of getting them away from the oven, but taking them out of the house completely would make the most sense! So thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply.

Terry, I have missed you too! But, wait....there is another bird show this weekend? How did THAT slip past my radar??

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks everyone! I was thinking along the lines of getting them away from the oven, but taking them out of the house completely would make the most sense! So thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply.

Terry, I have missed you too! But, wait....there is another bird show this weekend? How did THAT slip past my radar??

Yep, I'll PM you!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Any time I buy a new appliance, whether big like an oven or small like a blow-dryer, I always call the manufacturer BEFORE I buy it. I find the one that I like, get the information off of the box or the appliance itself, like the model name/number, and then call the manufacturer's customer-service number and specifically ask them:

#1.) Does this contain any type of Teflon-coating inside of it/anywhere on it, or is there ANY Teflon used in it anywhere?
#2.) Is it "Bird-Safe"? (Manufacturers are becoming more and more aware of this situation due to lawsuits, so many of them actually know the answer to this question)
#3.) Does it contain any materials/coatings that contain PFOA's, PTFE's, etc.? (Asking about these specifically is a must, as depending on the appliance, they may be required by law to list these and make the public aware of their presence).

That's the first thing you should do. Yes, putting the birds in the basement behind a closed-door for the first month could possibly help, however, there is always the risk that it will offer no protection at all, and unfortunately a lot of the time this gives bird owner's a false sense of security. Many birds have died from Teflon-fumes while they were on different floors of the house and behind a closed door from the source.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Excellent comments above!

You did not mention whether you where getting an electric or gas oven. There can be more concern regarding electric ovens as it is possible, but rare for the coils to be coated. The higher and longer time at temperature commonly results in quality manufacturers not using such products.

With both electric and gas ovens manufacturing processes use products to protect the parts and also ease assembly, and packaging. This in all cases requires the heating and airing out of your home after that first start-up, prior to use.

NOTE: Avoid the ovens that come with all kinds of 'smart' stuff as they greatly increase the cost, especially when needing to be repaired and commonly require a individual outlet that is wired directly back to the Power Panel.

Last edited:
OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
EllenD,

Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to type that for me. I really appreciate it.

Sailboat, I am getting an elecric oven. The stovetop has the glass covered coils. Not sure if that makes a difference vs the older traditional exposed coils.

So I contacted the manufacturer and asked EllenD's three questions and the answer I got back was. There is no teflon and there is no bird safe....not sure if that means it's not safe for birds or if she means there's no such thing as bird safe. I was kinda confused by the comment to be honest.

Here's that part of the transcript:

Selena: Thank you for waiting.
Selena: I have checked the information for you.
Selena: It does not have Teflon and there is no bird safe.

I did not receive an answer to the PFOA's, PTFE's, etc.

I hope that since there's no teflon that I will be ok. I'm still going to take the birds out and run the oven for an hour or two and air out my house and maybe bring them back the next day just because paranoia isn't all too bad of a thing in our bird world :)

OP
Kalel

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
I think I will either call or email them for clarification. The "no bird safe" comment isn't sitting well with me.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sad to say it but Iā€™m not sure ā€œbird safeā€ would be a priority for manufacturers.:(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sad to say it but Iā€™m not sure ā€œbird safeā€ would be a priority for manufacturers.:(

I believe that the Manufacturer is attempting to define that a stove (top with oven) can never be defined as Bird Safe. The hot surfaces represent serious concerns for all.

The glass top commonly seals the elements within the glass. As a result the sealed elements do not 'off-gas.' But, the surface can remain hot for an extended period.

Most Reactions

Latest posts