getting a new parrot:)

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
I hope you guys could help out.I have been doing a lot of research on other parrots because I'm getting one on my birthday but I don't know which one I want to get.Its between the African grey timneyh parrot, Hahn's macaw,or the cockatoo.I'm torn between the three.If anyone has personal experience with anyone of these I would love to hear what you have to say.This is the deal I have kids so I'm wanting to get a parrot that is more family oriented and isn't just going to pick one person to attach to.Please help!:white1::green2::grey:

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
I've heard great things about the Hahn's Macaw! I met one this year and he was friendly to all. They also have better manners than the Cockatoo. As for Timneh's I know they can be shy but loyal birds. My bet is the Hahns, I suggest going to youtube and look up videos. c:

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
I've heard great things about the Hahn's Macaw! I met one this year and he was friendly to all. They also have better manners than the Cockatoo. As for Timneh's I know they can be shy but loyal birds. My bet is the Hahns, I suggest going to youtube and look up videos. c:

O GOSH LOL,Don't laugh at(don't judge me).I do that all the time...Your gonna get me started on the you tube videos today.I just think that the videos be hilarious.lol.Well I'll go look some up now:)

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure

O GOSH LOL,Don't laugh at(don't judge me).I do that all the time...Your gonna get me started on the you tube videos today.I just think that the videos be hilarious.lol.Well I'll go look some up now:)

I love watching youtube videos as well. When I was waiting for Pyro to be old enough to come home, I would spend so much time on you tube watching different conure videos. I used to drive my husband crazy with that.

Pim

Aug 19, 2011
If you have kids I would not recommend a cockatoo as they can be very bitey and temperamental as they get older. I would suggested a hahns macaw.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Hahns are a lot of fun but I don't know how they would be with children....I have grown sons and Dusty (my hahns) loves one of them and bites the other one every chance he gets.....
Maybe someone on here has a hahns that has been around younger children and can offer more advice...

By the way, nothing wrong with those youtube videos...I enjoy them.

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
The Hahns I met was actually a family pet meant for their 8 year old son. But I guess it all depends on the bird's personality!

Also! I watched videos for like 6 hours a day while waiting for Prim. x__X

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My understanding of greys is that they tend to be one person birds. Some also get very stressed by a household with commotion. Toos can be great family pets, but before considering one, do plenty of research. They need to learn to be independent and play on their own or they tend to go psycho, and scream and self mutilate.

Macaws are known to be friendly with many people, and might make a good bird for a family.

My understanding is that male Eclectus and Pionus tend to be good family birds as well.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
im not sure how those birds are around children, with any bird, if the children learn how to treat and respect the bird and are taught how to handle it, that goes a long way on saftey. alo the childrens friends should respect the bird too. if you can find one, golden conures are very sweet, cuddly, like a cockatoo but not as hormonal, and ive heard they are not nown to be agressive, like you guys have said, youtube is great, and there are tons of videos about these wonderful birds!theyre medium sized
thumbnail.aspx

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
from what ive heard they are also less beaky than other conures but i dont own one so i cant say much, good luck with whatever bird you get though :)

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
The Hahns I met was actually a family pet meant for their 8 year old son. But I guess it all depends on the bird's personality!

Also! I watched videos for like 6 hours a day while waiting for Prim. x__X

lol awwww,I like watching them hatch and be born and the dancing and singing videos.there sooooo funny!

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
My understanding of greys is that they tend to be one person birds. Some also get very stressed by a household with commotion. Toos can be great family pets, but before considering one, do plenty of research. They need to learn to be independent and play on their own or they tend to go psycho, and scream and self mutilate.

Macaws are known to be friendly with many people, and might make a good bird for a family.

My understanding is that male Eclectus and Pionus tend to be good family birds as well.

thanks for the help Im gonna look up the electus.I know what they look like but dont know much about them.Think I saw a video of one talking lastnight on you tube.

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
im not sure how those birds are around children, with any bird, if the children learn how to treat and respect the bird and are taught how to handle it, that goes a long way on saftey. alo the childrens friends should respect the bird too. if you can find one, golden conures are very sweet, cuddly, like a cockatoo but not as hormonal, and ive heard they are not nown to be agressive, like you guys have said, youtube is great, and there are tons of videos about these wonderful birds!theyre medium sized
thumbnail.aspx

those golden conures are pretty.Im gonna look up some videos on those.

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
lol i cant help it i love birdie videos there sooo smart!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Watch the videos with your birds. It's a lot of fun! They enjoy watching them as well.

My cat went after a budgie on one though. I'm not sure how she could tell from a video that it was a small bird, but she could. She just watched the others of the larger birds, but as soon as I clicked on a budgie she went after my computer screen. Obviously I should not bring home a budgie anymore.

OP
alana

alana

Oct 9, 2011
georgia
Parrots
Sun conure
Watch the videos with your birds. It's a lot of fun! They enjoy watching them as well.

My cat went after a budgie on one though. I'm not sure how she could tell from a video that it was a small bird, but she could. She just watched the others of the larger birds, but as soon as I clicked on a budgie she went after my computer screen. Obviously I should not bring home a budgie anymore.

Lol i just started doing that and he goes crazy,he like walks up to the computer speakers and starts squawking and peking at it.hes crazy.My conure is a scrooge.lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts