getting my first bird

mikeler

Oct 28, 2010
well 7 weeks from now i will have my own blue and gold macaw i ownd a cockatile when i was little i have right now 7 boas and 5 ball pythons i have more then enough money to support this bird i got my own house i have bought 2 macaw sized cages and made them into one big one for the last year i looked after my friends moluccan cockatoo when he was at collage that was easy i have more then enough time to spend with it and i have bought and read all the possible stuff there is for the last year so what you think am i ready?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Are you ready? We do not know you so there is no way to answer this question. Do you think your are ready? There is much more to being the guardian for a companion bird than having big cages. It is a lifetime commitment. You need lots and lots of patience, time and dedication. That means if you have a big change in lifestyle what happens to the bird? I do hope you have the snakes in a totally different room as they are a natural predator for birds. Parrots are complex creatures that need to be treated as a member of the family. They are not domesticated like dogs and cats. You need to spend time with them every day when they are both outside and inside the cage. Be prepared for a mess to clean up on a daily routine. The reason I am going through all these requirements is that hundreds of birds are homeless because someone purchased them and was not prepared to meet the birds many needs.

If you are willing to cope with a bird that may bite you till you bleed, screem very loud, pick it's feathers off, cost you money at the vet or reject someone in your family then you may be ready. They are truly complex, wonderful creatures that you can treasure every day despite what they may do or not do. I wish you good luck and hope that you will do a rescue.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeler

Oct 28, 2010
yeah i they will be in diffrent rooms the snakes are under lock and key and for the biting owning snakes i have been bit countless numbers of times and had to get teeth removed my my body so that just comes with ownership i believe i a fully ready to take care of this bird even though of my young age wich is 19 but i have a stable job wich means i wont be leaving this area for the rest of my life pretty much just wanted some in put on anything else i would need or should think about and learn

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You are 19 now and the parrots will live for over 60 years then you have a chance for a lifetime companion. I wish I had discovered birds at 19!! We have another forum member here with snakes. She lives in South Africa and she is known as Wildheart. I am sure you two would get along.

OP
M

mikeler

Oct 28, 2010
yeah i have always wanted a parrot so when my friend needed a home for his for a year i took it right away best year ever i am lonely as for my snakes i have had them since i could walk they also live for like 20 years i just got an amazing job as a powerline tech so i have money to blow so first thing i did was buy this parrot i dont get it till feb its still a baby i already got the cage stand and filled with toys set up waiting i am to excited

Most Reactions

Latest posts