Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey guys, the title says it all. Thursday morning one of my family members came in holding a female house sparrow! She is missing her primaries, secondaries and it appears what would be the 'wrist' of her wing, but the weird part is there no cut to speak of no blood at all as if she was possibly born without that much of her wing. What is weird is she's an adult, fully feathered, her other wing appears as normal.
I put her in a 20gal. tank I have so that I could put a heat lamp over her, keeping it at about 85-86F. Laid down a comfy pillow case and paper towels in it and a bowl of budgie seed, crumbled nutriberry and a spray of millet. So far out of the seeds she's only at a few.
I made her some egg food of sorts which she eats like a champ about every hour to hour and a half. I mashed a hard boiled egg yolk, mixed in water until it was creamy, then added ground flax since Omega 3s are very important at a time like this, I also added a pinch of ceylon cinnamon so she'd eat it better, then a bit of a powdered herbal mix I have (it has chia seeds, more Omega 3s)
She's so full of energy, I tossed a feeder cricket into the tank with her and she chased it down, running back and forth to get it, caught it, crushed its head but didn't even eat it!

Of course your all thinking did I contact the local game warden and wildlife department ? I did and they said no one within 4+ hour drive will take songbirds of any kind, only raptors and owls. He said don't post pics of the bird or tell the world you have her and if she can't be released then just keep her! I guess I'm stuck with a little sparrow! I have her far from my parrots and wash my hands well after feeding or doing anything concerning her, so anything else I should do for her? If she continues to improve I guess I'll get her a cage but since she's a handicap it will have to be short and horizontal for her ease of movement? Any advice for further care is appreciated!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh, I'm so glad she ended up with you! I bet she may like some mealworms to eat:)
Now you need to think of a name:)

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh, I'm so glad she ended up with you! I bet she may like some mealworms to eat:)
Now you need to think of a name:)
I'm glad too! I have some mealworms and offered her one yesterday, but she didn't eat it, I'll offer another today. Hmm, I have to think hard on a name for her! She's got such a fiery attitude!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
A long, low cage would be great! Prevue has a flight cage thatā€™s 18in wide x 30in long by 18in tall. If you rig it with lots of small rope perches she/he should be able to travel up and down it easily.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
A long, low cage would be great! Prevue has a flight cage thatā€™s 18in wide x 30in long by 18in tall. If you rig it with lots of small rope perches she/he should be able to travel up and down it easily.
Yeah, I was looking at that cage yesterday, in fact. I think I'll wait a 2-3 more days so she can stay more warm in the tank. I get her nice rope perches, a few platforms and teeny toys! I bet she only weighs 20-25g, I haven't weighed her yet though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That sounds neat!

Do you think this bird is this yearā€™s chick?
I canā€™t think how she could have survived unless she was just kicked out of the nest.

The cage recommended above sounds great! If I have another disabled bird I will look for that.

Good luck!

Heather

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I heard most wild sparrows that ended up in captivity would refuse to eat and starve to death. Yours is eating, and I'm surprised. Maybe it's meant to be with you.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
That sounds neat!

Do you think this bird is this yearā€™s chick?
I canā€™t think how she could have survived unless she was just kicked out of the nest.

The cage recommended above sounds great! If I have another disabled bird I will look for that.

Good luck!

Heather
I guess so, that's all I can think happened

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Update: Sheā€™s still doing great. She is now eating more budgie seed and some spray millet, she also ate a cricket.
I ordered her the low cage, 2 plat form perches, a corner platform perch, and a rope perch. Iā€™ll make her some toys too.
CC8B17DD-B46D-4FC5-A96E-B9FDD75455BD.jpeg

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I guess so, that's all I can think happened
I think if she was a ā€œreal adultā€ then like Sun conure baba wrote she would be frightened and not eat.

Indeed she is a lucky bird!

If you end up keeping her, maybe your vet can help you treat her for worms and parasites that a wild bird might naturally have, so you can worry less about quarantine.

I would think theyā€™d be sensible if you tell them how you acquired her and that she canā€™t be outside nor find a home in a rescue. Yes, little ā€˜commonā€™ birds donā€™t get much excitement or resources; not like raptors and exciting big birdsā€¦

Dried mealworms could be yummy!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think if she was a ā€œreal adultā€ then like Sun conure baba wrote she would be frightened and not eat.

Indeed she is a lucky bird!

If you end up keeping her, maybe your vet can help you treat her for worms and parasites that a wild bird might naturally have, so you can worry less about quarantine.

I would think theyā€™d be sensible if you tell them how you acquired her and that she canā€™t be outside nor find a home in a rescue. Yes, little ā€˜commonā€™ birds donā€™t get much excitement or resources; not like raptors and exciting big birdsā€¦

Dried mealworms could be yummy!
Yeah, I offered her a live mealworm and she wasn't too interested, maybe dried would work better!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Or a bit of cat or dog food? Iā€™m not sure what would be best. Maybe it doesnā€™t matter what protein as long as thereā€™s a bit of protein given.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Or a bit of cat or dog food? Iā€™m not sure what would be best. Maybe it doesnā€™t matter what protein as long as thereā€™s a bit of protein given.
I was gonna try that at first, but thought the insects and egg would be better, I can put other things in the egg mixture really easily and she doesn't know it. I'll probably still offer some though

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think whatever you can feed her and still keep her safe. You know enough not to let uneaten egg food sit in her cage. Not everyone would be that careful and in that case the dog or cat food would be better!

A lot of bird diets are based on what the owner/ parront can manage safely. For example I used to feed seeds and lots of fresh food. Then I went to pellets and some fresh food. I wasnā€™t home enough to exchange the fresh food so quickly.

It is nice and more interesting to feed all fresh/ whole/ raw foods but may not be necessary or practical. In which case I think itā€™s better to feed a formulated diet and know your bird gets its needed nutrients, albeit in a more boring way.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think whatever you can feed her and still keep her safe. You know enough not to let uneaten egg food sit in her cage. Not everyone would be that careful and in that case the dog or cat food would be better!

A lot of bird diets are based on what the owner/ parront can manage safely. For example I used to feed seeds and lots of fresh food. Then I went to pellets and some fresh food. I wasnā€™t home enough to exchange the fresh food so quickly.

It is nice and more interesting to feed all fresh/ whole/ raw foods but may not be necessary or practical. In which case I think itā€™s better to feed a formulated diet and know your bird gets its needed nutrients, albeit in a more boring way.
Oh, actually I have seed and millet in there always, every hour from 7am-12pm I offer her the liquid egg food by spoon. I tried to offer during the night too, but she was upset that I'd woke her!
I keep pellets present for my birds always, but they still get their 'meals' breakfast is chop, and dinner is birdie bread and a little seed.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh, actually I have seed and millet in there always, every hour from 7am-12pm I offer her the liquid egg food by spoon. I tried to offer during the night too, but she was upset that I'd woke her!
I keep pellets present for my birds always, but they still get their 'meals' breakfast is chop, and dinner is birdie bread and a little seed.

Yes I understand. But the egg or fresh food doesnā€™t sit in their cages all day. Sorry that I was not clear.

Thatā€™s how I feed my parrots, and softbills when I have them. Seeds and dry formulated foods are there all the time. Fresh are in another dish and offered for a couple of hours, then thrown out.

Somehow, I thought I had offered egg food that came dry and powdered and was just pecked out of a dish?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yes I understand. But the egg or fresh food doesnā€™t sit in their cages all day. Sorry that I was not clear.

Thatā€™s how I feed my parrots, and softbills when I have them. Seeds and dry formulated foods are there all the time. Fresh are in another dish and offered for a couple of hours, then thrown out.

Somehow, I thought I had offered egg food that came dry and powdered and was just pecked out of a dish?
It's ok šŸ˜Š

I have seen dry egg food before in pet stores, I think made by VitaCraft

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
What an adorable little critter! Now sheā€™s *really* a ā€œhouse sparrowā€. ;)

Iā€™m seeing some pretty decent resources online for house sparrow diet and one of them does say that theyā€™ve successfully offered some Harrisonā€™s Superfine if you have any of that for your parrot! It isnā€™t nutritionally complete enough for them I think, but it can be a part of their diet and offer some rounding out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts