GPS tracker for free flight

MysticMagic

Jul 19, 2018
Also, I'd just like to add that it might be useful to put your bird's scream on command. I've seen it done in falconry a few times. Basically if the bird got lost, you could blow a whistle (or do something similar) and they'd scream back at you. I see no reason parrots couldn't do something similar. It's also supposed to lessen the frequency that birds of prey screamed, as you basically put that behavior on a command and never gave it at home, but I don't want to recommend it for that purpose. Especially since, with an animal that has a completely different mindset and a psychological need for their companion's attention, it could increase the instance of screaming behavior.

But it's not a difficult thing to teach, and could be useful for non-free flying birds that just happen to get lost. You blow a whistle, the bird screams back. Built in GPS.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Also, I'd just like to add that it might be useful to put your bird's scream on command. I've seen it done in falconry a few times. Basically if the bird got lost, you could blow a whistle (or do something similar) and they'd scream back at you. I see no reason parrots couldn't do something similar. It's also supposed to lessen the frequency that birds of prey screamed, as you basically put that behavior on a command and never gave it at home, but I don't want to recommend it for that purpose. Especially since, with an animal that has a completely different mindset and a psychological need for their companion's attention, it could increase the instance of screaming behavior.

But it's not a difficult thing to teach, and could be useful for non-free flying birds that just happen to get lost. You blow a whistle, the bird screams back. Built in GPS.

I trained my U2's the same way and if they get lost they just scream flock call for me and then I whistle and they come back.

As far as GPS goes the trackimo mini guardian is great for larger birds like a macaw but can get heavy for them. I use a Marshall GPS system as much lighter.

Last edited:

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Most free-flyers in SE Asia use the Marshall GPS tracker. They tend to hang it off a leg, but also possible to modify a harness.

Too expensive for me, but it's good.

Direct connection (so no need mobile towers or worry about dead zones). No SIM card (so no need mobile provider and their limitations). Real-time streaming (so no delay of info, can run right over to where they are). Closed body design since no SIM card (so it's waterproof).

Bluetooth means you're limited by proximity, and considering they're birds..... the need for close proximity nullifies the point of the GPS. It'll likely work for smaller mammals, but not flighted avians.

Most Reactions

Latest posts