|| Orange Winged amazon ||
African gray(Congo) ||
Quaker parrot ||
2 Eclectus ||
Caique ||
Cockatiel ||
Budgie ||
Red breasted Cockatoo ||
ok so now my Amazon parrot had lost all his feathers on his belly and its been about 4 months now and they have yet to grow back. Is he sick or no? I mean I give him shows regulary and give him fresh food/water. I give him treats, toys, tons of attention so I doubt he has been plucking them. I read that parrots molt but I dont think it should be taking almost a couple of months. All responses are highly appreciated.. thanks ! :D:green:

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
Quite a collection of Parrots you have there!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It's definitely not a molt. If it's not due to plucking then I wouldn't have any other ideas. Didn't you say you were bringing him to the vet in the other thread. I would get him in as soon as possible.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Yeah, I have to agree, it's not a molt. In a natural molt a parrot wouldn't lose all of their feathers at once as this would leave them overly vulnerable to many different situation (e.g: loose all down feathers at once they'd be in danger of getting cold. Or loose all flight feathers at once they couldn't fly ... ).

Molting is a systematic way of replacing old or damaged feathers with newer more effective ones. I am guessing this situation is going to require a Certified Avian Vet's visit ... if you are sure that your 'zon isn't plucking then the other big thing that pops into my mind is that you might have a case of "mites" ... but again, this is something that only a Certified Avian Vet can diagnose and treat.

Good Luck :50:

OP
FJV993

FJV993

Dec 6, 2007
Parrots
|| Orange Winged amazon ||
African gray(Congo) ||
Quaker parrot ||
2 Eclectus ||
Caique ||
Cockatiel ||
Budgie ||
Red breasted Cockatoo ||
Yeah, I have to agree, it's not a molt. In a natural molt a parrot wouldn't lose all of their feathers at once as this would leave them overly vulnerable to many different situation (e.g: loose all down feathers at once they'd be in danger of getting cold. Or loose all flight feathers at once they couldn't fly ... ).

Molting is a systematic way of replacing old or damaged feathers with newer more effective ones. I am guessing this situation is going to require a Certified Avian Vet's visit ... if you are sure that your 'zon isn't plucking then the other big thing that pops into my mind is that you might have a case of "mites" ... but again, this is something that only a Certified Avian Vet can diagnose and treat.

Good Luck :50:

gah!, but if he would have mites, wouldnt they make him completely bold?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Didn't you say that you just got a cat? Cats can carry mites ... either way you should take him to an Avian Certified Vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts