Green Cheek Breathing Issue/Panting

Fujiconure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
It has been extremely hot lately, and yesterday I caught my green cheek doing something that looked like panting on and off for about a minute or two. He made no noises, and his tail wasn't bobbing- but I fear it was breathing difficulty. I am worried this may be my fault, as it happened again today for a few seconds and I realized it was after I had used deodorant spray- though I don't think he's ever reacted like this before. I spray it in the bathroom with closed doors and open windows, and only return a few minutes after everything seems to have dissipated- is this still unsafe? I am getting non-spray deodorant immediately, and Fuji will be visiting the vet tomorrow to be safe.

I suppose my question is, could it simply be the deodorant? Heat? Or something else/ a mixture of both making him extra sensitive? And if anyone is familiar with what I should be asking the vet to do, that would be much appreciated. I do trust the vets, but everything happens in another room where I can't see- so I have no real idea what they do with him or if they might miss out any important checks. I also believe they are not purely avian vets either, so I just worry they might miss something.

I was referred to this particular practice by a purely avian vet a little further away, so I assume they are trustworthy- I really do just worry.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Hopefully your vet visit will give you good answers.

I would suspect that if your green cheek is in another room and you've been careful about ventilation with your deodorant it's not as likely as your heat wave to be the cause of discomfort. But I'm with you on switching just to be safe :)

From what I remember birds do pant when they are overheated so I hope that's all that's going on; I'm glad you're having him seen to make sure he's not ill.

Does your conure like to bathe? Cool water baths available, or misting him might help him cool down if your home has been much warmer than normal.

OP
Fujiconure

Fujiconure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hopefully your vet visit will give you good answers.

I would suspect that if your green cheek is in another room and you've been careful about ventilation with your deodorant it's not as likely as your heat wave to be the cause of discomfort. But I'm with you on switching just to be safe :)

From what I remember birds do pant when they are overheated so I hope that's all that's going on; I'm glad you're having him seen to make sure he's not ill.

Does your conure like to bathe? Cool water baths available, or misting him might help him cool down if your home has been much warmer than normal.
I really hope it was just the heat too, I'd feel awful if it were me causing his issues! Fortunately he absolutely adores baths. One time he was panting I did fill his little tub and he jumped right in, the panting stopped immediately! And his feet have been quite hot to the touch... Maybe it's just the awful heat! But at least I should get answers tomorrow :) For now he's doing really well!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Ok your description is the cutest thing ever!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts