Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
My gc laid three eggs at first last year it was only two. I know to leave them and wait for her to lose intrest. One broke and she laid two more so now she has 4. She has been siting on them continually for about a month. She hasnt lost intrest in them, she spends all night and most of the day with them. The cage is left open but she dost come out unless we take her out by saying step up. She dosnt bath only eats when given food well outside or if we put food next to her in the cage well shes on them. I dont know what to do is this normal

Unless she has been with a male that could fertilize them, the eggs will not be fertile, however, she should be allowed to set her clutch until she abandons them.....

Yes to allow them to sit on them until she abandons them, BUT I've seen females that will continually care for their eggs regardless. So if the month time is up, give her a little more time til the middle of the second month, if she don't quit, remove the eggs cause they're rotting away....

This is typically what I recommend...

• Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage

• Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Main thing is, if you want to prevent a hen from laying eggs, or if she has already laid eggs and you want her to stop laying eggs, you need to remove or change the triggers to egg-laying. Triggers for egg-laying could be due to the cage, cage placement, diet, day/night hours, nesting sites, petting, etc.

If you have a determined egg-layer, removing the eggs wont do her any good, regardless if you remove the eggs immediately or allow her to sit on them for an allotted time, unless you also remove the triggers to egg-laying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back