Green wing Screams to be picked up

Leteasophi13

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
Green wing macaw
Hi! So Iā€™m new here but not new to birds. My first macaw I just got 6 days ago today and heā€™s incredibly bonded to me and has been since day one. His name is Carlos, (not dna tested) and is about 12 years old. Heā€™s been really great so far but I have noticed when I put him on top of his aviary/cage to go do something he will SCREAM bloody murder. Heā€™s extremely cuddly with me but not my partner (who is admittedly scared of him even though he know him 5 years ago) which I didnā€™t expect so quickly.
Iā€™ve noticed when heā€™s screaming if I walk over to talk to him or see if heā€™s ok he just wants to be picked up. Puts out his cute little foot and wags it. I walk away sometimes but he will scream (loud enough for my watch to tell me Iā€™m in a loud environment) over and over again. Today I had to end up giving him a couple time outs under the blanket to get him to settle and relax a little.

My question is this.
Heā€™s new to me and I to him but I donā€™t want to encourage him screaming equals being picked up. Iā€™ve read here that giving any attention is still attention but how can I curb this or train him to use a different cue?

Thanks yā€™all
Photo of my love for eye candy

Attachments

• IMG_6531.jpeg
    IMG_6531.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 16

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thats right , your teaching him to scream for attention.
When my 'zon goes on a screaming jag, I whisper to him, which causes a full stop! Or try interesting him in a toy, thats more heathy then screaming.

OP
Leteasophi13

Leteasophi13

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
Green wing macaw
Thats right , your teaching him to scream for attention.
When my 'zon goes on a screaming jag, I whisper to him, which causes a full stop! Or try interesting him in a toy, thats more heathy then screaming.
Yeah Iā€™ve tried both. So far the only thing that makes him stop screaming is to put him in his aviaryā€¦ no more than 5 mins at a time. Heā€™s freely allowed out when someoneā€™s home and thankfully with mine and my partners schedule heā€™s only alone for 5 hours a day. This is like the fourth time heā€™s been rehomed, and I think heā€™s just scared that heā€™s going to be left behind again. Of course I would never do that and itā€™s going to take time for him to adjust but he definitely loves me and I love him back.

The funny part is that he will scream for attention when I am home, but if I leave for work and my partner comes home and let him out. He doesnā€™t scream at all. Itā€™s like heā€™s only triggered by seeing me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts