Had A Trio Of Budgies. One Died & I Feel POWERLESS On What To Do Next(THEY ARE LONELY)

John6670

Feb 25, 2013
I had 3 Budgies

1 Green Male(3-4 years Old)

1 White Female(3-4 years old) (Passed Away)

1 Blue Female(7 years old)

They used to all be in the same big cage, in the same room. However, earlier of this month: Both females got sick. The White one with a tumor, and the other with a prolapsed cloacae. As a result, I had to separate both females from the male. And I had to keep him in my room. Unfortunately, the White female passed away yesterday, due to the tumor. So as of now, I currently only have the Male and 7 year old Female Blue Budgie. The Biggest issue? The Blue Budgie has a BIG history of Chronic Egg Laying issues and Prolapsed Cloacae Issues. It started off several years ago when she'd constantly lay eggs. Then for the last 2-3 years, she'd have a prolapsed cloacae. The most recent being 2-3 weeks ago. Now that the white female has passed away, I don't know what to do, since my Blue Female Budgie has no bird companion.

I feel extremely powerless. Because if I keep the current male and 7 year old female in the same cage, I fear that she will try to lay an egg or her prolapsed cloacae will appear again. Every time my 7 year old budgie is around him, she becomes very hormonal. However, if I separate them in different rooms, they constantly cry for each other. And while I currently work from home, and am home 90% of the week, there will be moments in my life where I'll work outside of home, or go out for several hrs. The Male is currently in my room, and the 7 year Old Budgie is in another room(Where my family member lives)

And then if I get new budgies, I feel like I'm restarting the cycle. Get a new female budgie, the male gets hormonal or she lays eggs. Get a male budgie, the female gets hormonal. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do right now. Can putting the Male and Female Budgies in two different cages, but in the same room help to lower the loneliness and still reduce chances of my Blue Female budgie from becoming hormonal, possibly laying an egg or prolapse? Am I supposed to get a new male bird for the "male" budgie, and a new "female" bird for the female budgie?

Am I supposed to get an entirely different species of bird that keeps both my budgies company? What do I do?

CLIFFS:
-Used to have 3 budgies. 1 Male, 2 Females

-One of the females passed away. The only Female Budgie I have now is 7 years old.

-The Male and Female "tolerate" each other. However, the current 7 Year old female bird I have has a HISTORY of chronic egg laying, and Prolapsed cloacae issues. She actually had another prolapse earlier this month. So I had to separate her from the male

- I currently dont' know what to do, now that the white female has passed away. Because if I keep them in the same cage, she becomes hormonal and I fear her reproductive issues will come again. But If I keep them separated, they get lonely.

-Seeking advice

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hm, kind of a hard situation. You could try putting them in the same room in separate cages and see how it goes, or possibly you could get a female budgie for your female and a male for you male? I don't know, that may not work, especially if your budgies don't like the new ones or vice versa. Then your female may become hormonal around another female, could be too risky. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sorry for your loss.

If this was me....and I don't claim to have all answers ..just sharing how'd I would manage, and hopefully you will get others to share.

I would get a second male budgies for your male. I have had 3 boys no issues. They are so flock oriented. I would house them all in the same room , but keep female in her own cage. See how her hormones do....

Let's see what others advice

Most Reactions

Latest posts