Harness training for dummies?

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Okay, so the dummie in this case is me. :p

I've found a lot online about how to get your bird used to the harness and realize that's half (three-quarters?) the battle, but what about the other participant:you?

1) What kind of "leashes" do you use, especially for smaller birds? I'd been thinking fishing line, small-pet leashes, even those long plastic spring keychains would probably help a bit with any recoil but I'm up for suggestions. I'd hate to hurt my bird when/if they come abruptly to the end of the line.

2) Once they were used to wearing the harness, how did you get them used to flying with it on-leash without traumatizing them?

3) How long a leash/cord/etc do you use, especially if you want your bird to get the most out of flight? How long is too long/short?

4) Did you notice, once you began taking the birds out on jaunts, any previous bad behaviors disappear? Any issues get better (health etc)?

5) Speaking of health, what should you lookout for when taking your bird outside in a harness? Are open areas devoid of people or distractions always best? Should you keep away from all traffic?

I'm WAY ahead of myself here (as usual :p) but I thought I'd research the "other" side of the lanyard and would love to know what observations you all have made about your harness trained birds. ;)

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
I have an aviator harness for mikki and am planning on getting one for pheonix to ( I thought it may fit him as a baby but the head bit is presided and boof head don't fit lol )

The leash that is comes with ( sewn into it ) is 1m long it is an elastic string which they claim helps prevent the shock reaching the bird if it teachs the end of the lead

They do also sell extension leads for full flight purposes

What I have found with it :
Great design really easy to get onto the bird
fits well under the feathers and has nice movment within the harness if they do fly off
leash that comes with is great although I little long for average use ( I usually drap it around my neck so it dosent get caught on my arm or leg )
It is harder to get off than on ( but that may just be mikki ) I never really did any conditioning with him as he's 21 and very go with the flow ( he has done really well and gets better each time ) he loves having it put on as he knows something good is going to happen

I would say ( and also what I do living in the city ) is to perch him
on one shoulder and hold the extra harness lenght up near my neck etc ( sorry it's hard to explain ) this means I have only a short leash for him should he flap off or such and that he won't be able to reach down onto the road and in amongst traffic

I would use this for day to day and only use to long lead in an quiet open area where there's no risk of traffic or being caught up on something

Mikki is flighted but never ever has so I can't help you with that side of it I'm sorry

I also have a friend who owns s gallah and she has a small d link atrached to the birds leg
which she attachs a long elastic strectch lead ( home made with small clip ) to and uses that when out and about

I think the main trick with free flight ( harnesed ) is to have a good recall
walk and move with the bird and asking for
a recall when needed

Goodbirdinc is great for free flight training

Most Reactions

Latest posts