Ava.rg

Jun 27, 2020
California
Parrots
Pineapple Greencheek Conure: Hilo (hee-loh) 8 weeks :)
Hello everyone! I want to start harness training my 2 month old pineapple conure and I was wondering which harness I should get. I’ve heard the best is aviator but I’ve been told avianweb as well. Also any tips on how to do it or go about it? Right now when he goes places with me he rides in a little carrier. Also if Hilo (my bird) tries to fly with it on will it yank him back how would that work? That’s my only concern as I don’t want him to hurt himself.
Xxxx thanks

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Almost all here will agree the Aviator is the one they chose. Its the one there is the most info on how to train in use and its very strong. Any harness has the potential to give your parrot a yank if thet fly to the length of the attached leash, but you can attach a longer line if you want to free fly ( sort of) your bird.

But really you need to be able to handle your parrot, like touching wings, and neck and belly, without him freaking out, before you should attempt to harness train. The biggest hurdle with Aviators is getting your parrot to accept his head going thru the head loop. A few parrots take to harness like its no big deal, but most have to be gradually trained to accept it. It took me a year of every day training to get my Amazon to accept it with out complaint and not to be constantly biting it. 365 +/5 days. So yeah its a battle some times.

Most Reactions

Latest posts