alleycat39402

Aug 9, 2011
Media
Houston, TX
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw "Gryffin", Eclectus "Gonzo",
Sun Conure "Maggie", Green Cheek Conure "Nugget", and Goffin "Bubeaux"
RIP Green Cheek "Cheeko", RIP Eclectus "Gypsy"
I am just curious....when you all leave to go on vacation or out of town, what do you do with your birds? Is there such thing as a bird kennel?

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Most avain vets offices have pet or bird sitting services. But be adivised, it's not cheap. They charge in my area about $15.00-$20.00 a day. I have a nephew that usually takes care of the bird(s).

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Normally Polly go with us on vacation but nex year she will be at a "kennel" when we go to Italy

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
omg poor polly!!!! and i bet pasta is one of herfav foods!!! lol

but if a could take the nut i would lol i'd hate to have to do all the re-training with her

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
I no longer do vacations because you simply cannot trust ppl to take care of your animals the way you would . Nope my animals are just too precious to me to let anyone other than myself or my husband take care of them .

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
They do have bird boarding places, everyone is different. Make sure you get a tour of where ever you are thinking of going so that you can make sure its nice (i.e. clean, safe, cage isn't in a drafty area, dark room...etc.)

Romeo's previous owners acquired an RV so that they could take the birds with them on vacas, expensive but interesting concept.... :20:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
If we go somewhere for the weekend or just a few days, our 22 yo and/or 24 yo kids stay at our house and care for the birds and dogs. If we're gone for more tha 3-4 days, we board the birdies at "Grandma" Wendy's - she's our breeder and we know they'll get well cared for with her.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
They do have bird boarding places, everyone is different. Make sure you get a tour of where ever you are thinking of going so that you can make sure its nice (i.e. clean, safe, cage isn't in a drafty area, dark room...etc.)

Romeo's previous owners acquired an RV so that they could take the birds with them on vacas, expensive but interesting concept.... :20:

We have a travel trailer and have kicked around the idea of taking Ruby and Jade camping with us, but we need to harness train them first.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Next year my sister is getting married, and since she lives four hours away, we will have to be gone the weekend. Normally, if I went somewhere for a weekend, I could ask my mom or other sister to petsit, but of course they will all be at the wedding too. So that leaves me worried sick! We're going to have a friend take care of the animals, but it's so stressfull thinking of them here for a whole weekend with nobody to keep them company. River is used to getting to come out to play everyday poor guy. Our friend doesn't have a bird, so I think I would just have him leave him in the cage. I would worry too much if he was taking him out without me there. One of my cats get insulin injections, I'm sure our friend will be fine learning how to give them, but it stressed me out. Our vet would board the diabetic cat, but I don't really want to do that, because I think if he stayed in a cage at the vet, he would end up not eating. Sigh.....

Dragonwyke

Aug 12, 2011
Oneco, Florida
Parrots
Bugg - 8yr old female Senegal
Sylvio - 10yr old male U2
Lolita - 15yr old female Alex
:grey:i can't even remember the last time we had vacation. between birds, dogs, and fish, and occasionally other critters, there's just no way to leave them all and have them well cared for. especially since some of them need special care.

i haven't even considered going anywhere for more than a few hours at a time in years. lol

DW

Most Reactions

Latest posts