Have Cage Already

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
I'm new to birds so hopefully this is the right question to ask. I have a bird cage that is 18"x18"x23" (LWH) and was wondering what bird would be appropriate for that size. The bar spacing is half an inch.

The bird won't be in the cage that often because I am home a lot. I just got a new job, but it's part time and not a lot of hours. I am looking for a bird that is sociable and will enjoy sitting on my shoulder and playing with me. Like I said, I am new to birds and would like to know if what I'm looking for is unreasonable. Thanks everyone for the help.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Kinda small, but I would say nothing bigger than say a cockatiel or maybe a green cheeked conure, at those measurements that would be on the MINIMUM side ;)

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the help! I figured it would be too small for most species.

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
What about a blue crown conure? Would that be a sufficient cage for one? I have heard a lot of great things about these birds. Thanks once again.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Conures are very active birds and need a bigger cage to fly in. If you must use that cage then think about a Parakeet.

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thank you Spiritbird. I do plan on getting a larger cage sooner or later. Maybe I could start out with a parakeet and move up to a larger bird later. I absolutely love the female eclectus parrot! I could get a cage suited for one and study up on them a lot.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
A love bird is another choice as eclispe would testify to if your imtrested in pm her
small , colourful, full of charector ,

Negatives are they can be noisy and nippy
but it's not loud like the bigger parrots just mire consistent than anything

And thr nippyness can be dealt with my
a : a good breeder who really handles the babies well etc
b : research on your part into their body language etc and
c: some positive reinforcment training

I raised 2 for a friend of mine and they are just awesome
always on the go total clowns
never a dull moment watching a love bird play

I'd suggest an alexandrine as a starter bird on the bigger side but you'd definatly need a bigger cage etc

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yi30ynk0BQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Multi-Tasking Head Rubs[/ame]

this video was posted by another member not long ago but it's super cute

Not sure where in USA these people live but they specialize in love birds if you decide that's the way you'd like to go

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Conures adore space. Cal is a real cage climber! You can pick up some really great decent bargains on places such as ebay or craigslist etc.

I got one for Cal that is intended for an african grey for £23.51 lol. Melly another member, got one for £40 and it's rrreeeaaaalllly nifty ;)

As long as you scrub scrub scrub and replace any wooden perches, you're good to go!

OP
M

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone! Pheonix Rising, thanks for the suggestion on the Alexandrine Parrot! They are so beautiful! I will definitely be doing more research on those. :)

Most Reactions