Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Barankin (2006 - 2013)- peachface lovebird
Tihan - Yellow naped amazon (6+ years)
Hello,

I have an amazon that has several "trees" around the house. He doesn't have a cage, because those are ugly and we both hate them.
For many years, keeping an appropriate temperature wasn't too hard, since I love heat, however, now that I live with my partner, it's either the parrot freezing, either partner overheating. There's no "middle ground" it seems.

I've searched on amazon, but all the bird heaters are flat and attach to the cage. I have no bars to attach to and putting the heater on the floor would be useless since the bird is several feet above.
I'm looking for something like a heated perch, that I can somehow attach to his tree, so he can go warm up when he's shivering.
Do those even exist?

Thanx

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
There are perch heaters - at least there were when I got my in-cage heater from Amazon.

AT the time, there were many many reviews saying they were great BUT a few reviews where there had been problems --- and, when the Perch Heaters have a problem it causes Injury to the Bird.

That is, in the rare chance of a defect and IF the cage-mounted heater overheats, the bird simply moves Away.

However IF a defective perch-heater gradually overheats, it will burn the birds' feet before they realize it has gotten too warm. So, in my view, the risk of a perch-heater is much to high of a risk.

I would suggest getting an Cheap Cage and dismantling it. Use one piece of it to mount the cage heater, and attach that to one of your bird's trees.

Alternatively look up the "Sweeter Heater." This is like the in-cage heater but significantly larger and also, I believe, freestanding. At least, it is Not cage-mounted. You may be able to place in a convenient spot for your bird.

ALSO I suggest keeping one room more warm than all the others, so partner can escape heat and bird can escape the cold. Either - by slightly opening window (s) in a few rooms (with screen of course!) to let cool air IN, or, using a space heater in one room to keep one room warmer. IF you go the route of a space heater, you must do good research to make sure it has NO TEFLON, PTFOA'S or any of those letter-chemicals (i dont have the memorized, others can specify), which will endanger your bird if heated.

Alternatively

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
There are perch heaters - at least there were when I got my in-cage heater from Amazon.

AT the time, there were many many reviews saying they were great BUT a few reviews where there had been problems --- and, when the Perch Heaters have a problem it causes Injury to the Bird.

That is, in the rare chance of a defect and IF the cage-mounted heater overheats, the bird simply moves Away.

However IF a defective perch-heater gradually overheats, it will burn the birds' feet before they realize it has gotten too warm. So, in my view, the risk of a perch-heater is much to high of a risk.

I would suggest getting an Cheap Cage and dismantling it. Use one piece of it to mount the cage heater, and attach that to one of your bird's trees.

Alternatively look up the "Sweeter Heater." This is like the in-cage heater but significantly larger and also, I believe, freestanding. At least, it is Not cage-mounted. You may be able to place in a convenient spot for your bird.

ALSO I suggest keeping one room more warm than all the others, so partner can escape heat and bird can escape the cold. Either - by slightly opening window (s) in a few rooms (with screen of course!) to let cool air IN, or, using a space heater in one room to keep one room warmer. IF you go the route of a space heater, you must do good research to make sure it has NO TEFLON, PTFOA'S or any of those letter-chemicals (i dont have the memorized, others can specify), which will endanger your bird if heated.

Alternatively
> However IF a defective perch-heater gradually overheats, it will burn the birds' feet before they realize it has gotten too warm.

How is that possible? Technically, a if you stand on something gradually overheating, you'll feel when it starts burning and move.
(I have a heating blanket that malfunctioned under my butt)

> I would suggest getting an Cheap Cage and dismantling it. Use one piece of it to mount the cage heater, and attach that to one of your bird's trees.
The problem is that everything that's not a perch, it's a toy. He'll try to chew it.
He's not allowed to chew things that are not on his tree, but everything on his tree can be destroyed.
The perch heater would not be destroyed, because I plan to route the cables inside the tree. It wouldn't make sense that the cables came out randomly from a weird spot, so I expect the cable would be at the same place where the perch attaches to the tree.

> Alternatively look up the "Sweeter Heater." This is like the in-cage heater but significantly larger and also, I believe, freestanding. At least, it is Not cage-mounted. You may be able to place in a convenient spot for your bird.
I did google that (suggested in another post), but all I find is oil heaters and things that are "too big", meaning they would heat the room. I'm looking to heat up the parrot "locally", without affecting the room temperature.
I don't need a space heater because I can just raise the temperature (but it would be uncomfortable for ppl)

> ALSO I suggest keeping one room more warm than all the others, so partner can escape heat and bird can escape the cold. Either - by slightly opening window (s) in a few rooms (with screen of course!) to let cool air IN, or, using a space heater in one room to keep one room warmer. IF you go the route of a space heater, you must do good research to make sure it has NO TEFLON, PTFOA'S or any of those letter-chemicals (i dont have the memorized, others can specify), which will endanger your bird if heated.

None of those are an option. We work from home and the bird sits with us all day. The point to have several trees is that he can chill with us and be "part of the flock".
Having different work places is also not an option, while the bird is mine, he's in love with my parthner and only tolerates me because I bring him to my parthner(who's terrified of my dragon) and feed him.
If we go the separate office way and the bird sits with me in the office, he'll just sleep all day and then chew his feathers. He really wants to be with my parthner.

If he's left alone in a warm room, he'll also sleep all day and then chew his feathers.
He's a rescue and I got him when he was 8. He already had the chewing problem and I've got him to the point it's almost gone, however, stress/boredom will trigger feather chewing. He doesn't pluck, just chews the feathers until they're gone, making a bald-ish spot. It re-grows each time, since he doesn't pull the feather.

Keeping the office warmer is not an option, since parthner won't be able to focus.
The room is kept at 21 degrees Celcius (33.8F), so it's not THAT cold, it just feels colder than it actually is because we're in autumn. I'm looking for something like a "heating blanket" but for parrot, so I can warm him up "locally", without setting the room temperature to "sauna" levels.

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
FYI: What temperature is the Home /Apartment maintained at?
Parrots can tolerate cooler or warmer temperatures as long as it is consistence. Rapid changes and/or drafts are dangerous.
21 Celcius / 70 Farenheit.

I had parrots who lived in 15 degrees Celcius and were perfectly fine (some countries don't have central heating), so I'm not worried about him getting sick or something.

I just want him to be comfortable. When he's not comfortable, he hates me more than usual. At 21, he's shivering all the time.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
> However IF a defective perch-heater gradually overheats, it will burn the birds' feet before they realize it has gotten too warm.

How is that possible? Technically, a if you stand on something gradually overheating, you'll feel when it starts burning and move.
(I have a heating blanket that malfunctioned under my butt)

> Alternatively look up the "Sweeter Heater." This is like the in-cage heater but significantly larger and also, I believe, freestanding. At least, it is Not cage-mounted. You may be able to place in a convenient spot for your bird.
I did google that (suggested in another post), but all I find is oil heaters and things that are "too big", meaning they would heat the room. I'm looking to heat up the parrot "locally", without affecting the room temperature.

Having different work places is also not an option, while the bird is mine, he's in love with my parthner and only tolerates me because I bring him to my parthner(who's terrified of my dragon) and feed him.
If we go the separate office way and the bird sits with me in the office, he'll just sleep all day and then chew his feathers. He really wants to be with my parthner.
Sweeter heater. Try looking for heater for chickens. Here is the one I find. I know another member uses sweeter heater, I don't know if its this one or a different one, they seem to have a variety of models. Presumably other chicken coop heaters might work also. Could provide a comfortably heated Area for the bird and not just one perch.

Sweeter heater for chickens on Amazon

Regarding the perch. Here is a link to the One-Star reviews for the heated perch. Amazon One-Star reviews for heated perch

Yes, there are Thousands of Positive reviews. And only a very few negative. But those negative reviews talk about birds with burnt feet. Here are the quotes that influenced my decision to Not get the heated perch, Despite thousands of positive reviews:

-"We've had birds and parrots over 35 years and have never seen a bird with burnt feet before."
-"After plugging it in, my bird started screaming. She now keeps lifting her feet. My vet said she burnt her feet. "
-"At first I loved this product but then I realized it was burning my poor birds feet." ===THIS review has a pic attached of a Sun Conure's feet that are burned.
-The temperature seemed comfortable when I tested it with my hand. However, my budgie's feet ended up getting burned, causing him to not be able to navigate his small hospital cage to get food because of the pain."

Obviously, you should make the choice you are most comfortable with. But for me, the risk is not just about the likelihood, but about how bad the results IF the problem occurs. I chose note to get this and do Not recommend it based on these (relatively few, but very serious!) reviews.

Also I suggest getting your partner involved with brainstorming about this.

Myself I have to keep my home warmer than I would prefer for the safety of my birds. I would love to keep it in the mid-60's F here. BUT historically if outside temp drops suddenly, the interior heat does not keep up for about 24 hours. With sudden wind and cold, I can have dramatic temp drops inside. So I must keep my starting temp Above 70-F for the safety of my birds. (Well, with the new insulation, that might change this year - we shall see.)

This means I wear summer-weight clothes inside my home much of the time in winter. Perhaps your partner could try dressing more lightly, as well?

Last edited:
OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Sweeter heater. Try looking for heater for chickens. Here is the one I find. I know another member uses sweeter heater, I don't know if its this one or a different one, they seem to have a variety of models. Presumably other chicken coop heaters might work also. Could provide a comfortably heated Area for the bird and not just one perch.

Sweeter heater for chickens on Amazon

Regarding the perch. Here is a link to the One-Star reviews for the heated perch. Amazon One-Star reviews for heated perch

Yes, there are Thousands of Positive reviews. And only a very few negative. But those negative reviews talk about birds with burnt feet. Here are the quotes that influenced my decision to Not get the heated perch, Despite thousands of positive reviews:

-"We've had birds and parrots over 35 years and have never seen a bird with burnt feet before."
-"After plugging it in, my bird started screaming. She now keeps lifting her feet. My vet said she burnt her feet. "
-"At first I loved this product but then I realized it was burning my poor birds feet." ===THIS review has a pic attached of a Sun Conure's feet that are burned.
-The temperature seemed comfortable when I tested it with my hand. However, my budgie's feet ended up getting burned, causing him to not be able to navigate his small hospital cage to get food because of the pain."

Obviously, you should make the choice you are most comfortable with. But for me, the risk is not just about the likelihood, but about how bad the results IF the problem occurs. I chose note to get this and do Not recommend it based on these (relatively few, but very serious!) reviews.

Also I suggest getting your partner involved with brainstorming about this.

Myself I have to keep my home warmer than I would prefer for the safety of my birds. I would love to keep it in the mid-60's F here. BUT historically if outside temp drops suddenly, the interior heat does not keep up for about 24 hours. With sudden wind and cold, I can have dramatic temp drops inside. So I must keep my starting temp Above 70-F for the safety of my birds. (Well, with the new insulation, that might change this year - we shall see.)

This means I wear summer-weight clothes inside my home much of the time in winter. Perhaps your partner could try dressing more lightly, as well?
I've miscalculated the celcius to farenheit in my previous reply... we keep 21 Celcius which is 70 farenheit, but he's just always shivering, unless he's moving. Parthner is wearing very light panths and a T-Shirt at this temperature
I'll google chicken heating after work, maybe there's something that I can attach to the tree safely. Would definitely not buy one star product.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
So I've owned a heated perch and the grey K&H Snuggle up bird warmer. Nike loved the perch but I noticed some redness on the bottoms of her feet so I discontinued it's use. It could also have been that the one I got (only one available) had sand glued to it and that could have been the irritant.

No matter, I bought the K&H and she loves it. I think snuggling up to it is a natural behavior. I have a dragon wood perch with the heater at the end and back side of the cage. She sleeps on the perch next to the heater. I run it 24/7/365 and she uses it every night.,

My house is not air conditioned so in the summer it can get pretty warm and then in the spring and summer there ae some chilly mornings.

I keep my thermostat 60°F in the winter, sometimes up to 66° when we're chilled and not wanting to put on a sweater but Nike only uses the heater at night.

Personally I think the K&H is the best and safest option.

k&hheater.jpg

OP
U

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Thanx a lot. Won't waste my money on a perch heater.
It seems I'll have to figure out how to safely attach a non-perch heater to the trees, in a way that Tihan won't chew the cable. I've read the reviews on the perch heater and not a fan of them.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Thanx a lot. Won't waste my money on a perch heater.
It seems I'll have to figure out how to safely attach a non-perch heater to the trees, in a way that Tihan won't chew the cable. I've read the reviews on the perch heater and not a fan of them.
The heater comes with 2 threaded studs, each centered top and bottom.. You should be able to easily strap it to the branch.

The cable comes covered in a plastic cable wrap but obviously not good enough for a chewing parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts