Hello from a total newb.

ThatBikeLady

Mar 11, 2023
Parrots
Pinky & the Brain, a blue with a white face and a grey-green with a yellow face, respectively
My name is Jenn! My (common-law) hubs and I own and run a bicycle repair shop. Last year, a blue budgie appeared at our wild bird feeder. We watched over him for two weeks while looking for someone who lost a bird, but then, in the second heat wave, we noticed that she was dying. So we brought her inside, got him a home, got better pictures and put him up on all the local lost pet boards. No one came forward, so we named her Fixie and fell in love. That bird was totally my bird. Nestled against my neck, groomed my hair, flew down whenever he saw me, shouted like mad whenever I left the room, and stole my food. Unfortunately, she died in February. We think it was an impacted egg. (And I know better now what to do. I am devastated that my lack of knowledge led to her death while we were sick with covid and couldn't come into the shop more than once a day to check on her.) When we were well enough to come back to work, Mike bought us (me) two more budgies. One is a yellow-face who started out green and grey and is turning grey and indigo, his name is Brain. The other is blue, black and white, and is named Pinky. I'm not sure where they fall in the realm of which budgie types they fall into. Especially with Brain changing colours everywhere but the face. They still have their forehead stripes. They are super-bonded with each other. It is making it hard to get them to bond with me but they don't freak out every time I go near them anymore lol.

Nice ta meetcha!

Attachments

• IMG_20230228_162405.jpg
    IMG_20230228_162405.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 31

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Hello!
As far as I can tell from that picture, your little yellow face is a Grey yellow (or golden) faced.
Your other one is a Normal blue, though I cannot pinpoint that blue colour maybe mauve?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My name is Jenn! My (common-law) hubs and I own and run a bicycle repair shop. Last year, a blue budgie appeared at our wild bird feeder. We watched over him for two weeks while looking for someone who lost a bird, but then, in the second heat wave, we noticed that she was dying. So we brought her inside, got him a home, got better pictures and put him up on all the local lost pet boards. No one came forward, so we named her Fixie and fell in love. That bird was totally my bird. Nestled against my neck, groomed my hair, flew down whenever he saw me, shouted like mad whenever I left the room, and stole my food. Unfortunately, she died in February. We think it was an impacted egg. (And I know better now what to do. I am devastated that my lack of knowledge led to her death while we were sick with covid and couldn't come into the shop more than once a day to check on her.) When we were well enough to come back to work, Mike bought us (me) two more budgies. One is a yellow-face who started out green and grey and is turning grey and indigo, his name is Brain. The other is blue, black and white, and is named Pinky. I'm not sure where they fall in the realm of which budgie types they fall into. Especially with Brain changing colours everywhere but the face. They still have their forehead stripes. They are super-bonded with each other. It is making it hard to get them to bond with me but they don't freak out every time I go near them anymore lol.

Nice ta meetcha!
So cute! Looks like a little mauvey blue girl on the left and a little boy on the right but they are very young to tell for sure- about three months old. Their colors will intensify a bit after their first molt at about four months.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed!

Yeah, taming out a bonded pair of budgies is an uphill battle for sure. Do-able but much slower in most cases then if there was a single budgie. Never the less, try to act with a high probability of success! Working with one budgie, away from the other one can help a lot. In any training or taming process, Be immediate - have your treat ready! Be consistent - don't confuse him. Be patient - parrots are smart AND stubborn sometimes.

OP
T

ThatBikeLady

Mar 11, 2023
Parrots
Pinky & the Brain, a blue with a white face and a grey-green with a yellow face, respectively
So cute! Looks like a little mauvey blue girl on the left and a little boy on the right but they are very young to tell for sure- about three months old. Their colors will intensify a bit after their first molt at about four months.
I took that pic about a month ago and I've been noticing some feathers lately when I'm doing the feed & clean in the mornings. If they are molting like they're supposed to be, I can quit worrying lol. (Plus, I gender-labeled them for differentiation when talking about them as a girl and boy, left and right, respectively, like you're estimating.)

OP
T

ThatBikeLady

Mar 11, 2023
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed!

Yeah, taming out a bonded pair of budgies is an uphill battle for sure. Do-able but much slower in most cases then if there was a single budgie. Never the less, try to act with a high probability of success! Working with one budgie, away from the other one can help a lot. In any training or taming process, Be immediate - have your treat ready! Be consistent - don't confuse him. Be patient - parrots are smart AND stubborn sometimes.
One at a time? That would make things easier.

They're going to have a shift in their surroundings shortly. I have to have my hip replaced and they're going to go home with my for most of my recovery. They'll get more one-on-one time and better dedicated training then. (Plus, learn how to deal with a cat and the dog lol)

I am trying very hard to be patient, to remember not to chase them around the cage. I go and talk to them often through the day, usually bringing some food with me (this morning, apple slices, they love stripping the wedges to the peel). They don't consider millet a treat, though, so I need to get creative. They love veggies and a number of fruits - once I taught them that it is indeed food. lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts