Hello from NJ

sweetnancy

May 4, 2021
Hello, I am from NJ with 2 small (7 and 4) kids who are insisting on getting a bird. When I was a teenager I had a young Indian Ringneck parrot who was with us for almost 2 years before flying away one day.

So I thinking of getting a parrot again. Something of the size of IRN suits us. I am looking for a friendly species and plan to keep it out of cage mostly or in an open cage. Please provide suggestions and also where can I get a parrot in NJ area - I can travel to NY, PA, NJ states to bring the bird home.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Small children and parrots ( of any size) don't usually mix well. Parrots bite, even the smallest and 'friendliest'. Small kids can scare parrots with their quick movements, and high pitched voices and sounds. And can easily squeeze a small parrot to death if they are not super careful when handling them. Seen it happen unfortunately. Suggest:

Budgie
Cockateil
BeeBee parrot (species Brotogeris Chiriri or other Brotogeris ) as close as I know of as a 'friendly' species

Read up on IRNs, do your homework, I dont think they are suitable for a home with small children. Dont refer to any website that has Pets in the name, those are all sales pitches and only want you to think every parrot is an ideal one. IRNs are loud, w/strong big beaks, and 99% of them do not like being touched.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for researching and seeking advice before buying. Agree with preceding suggestions by wrench13!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Welcome to the forums!!

I grew up with an IRN, I loved him quite much but my only issue was that he was LOUD. I honestly don't recommend as their shouts could damage young children's hearing, I know that I had mental breakdowns from his shouting... also they love to bluff, they act all sweet and all, and other moment they just latch onto your finger. Or try to make a new ear piercing. And he was obsessed with me, anyone who would come near me would end up with a bite on their face.

I second a cockatiel, they usually don't really bite and will give a very good sign of "don't touch me". Their body language is very easy to read, they can be very affectionate and silly, and the males can sing quite nice. From experience if they want to bite, they will do some bickering movements which isn't a bite. Good family pets, really. I would suggest getting an already tame bird, because an untame one will take a lot of time and patience, which I believe with children can be quite hard to achieve.

All other parrots I had usualy became a one person bird, which isn't good for families. While conures (Green cheeks for example) are very common these days and quite fun to have around, they are like big parrots in small bodies, and have a strong tendency to become a one person bird, so I would suggest from staying away from them. Also their bite can hurt quite much.

I honestly don't know if Lovebirds would be a good choice as well, if someone has any eperience to share, that would be awesome!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! Another concern with little ones. Continual opening doors! I am alone and I have to lock the doors when JoJo is out and about!

Most Reactions