Hello, I’m new. My Beautiful Amazon.

Kat57

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
African Grey ~ 33 years old
I’m new here and have recently lost my beautiful beloved 34 yr old double yellow head Amazon suddenly. My heart is crushed, as I raised her from a baby. She was my beautiful little friend and she was such a radiant ray of sunshine in our family’s lives. We are heartbroken. I’m keeping our 33 yr old African Grey extra occupied with activities and extra TLC, but I worry about him missing her. It’s nice to have found this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_5624.mov
    8 MB
Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
I’m new here and have recently lost my beautiful beloved 34 yr old double yellow head Amazon suddenly. My heart is crushed, as I raised her from a baby. She was my beautiful little friend and she was such a radiant ray of sunshine in our family’s lives. We are heartbroken. I’m keeping our 33 yr old African Grey extra occupied with activities and extra TLC, but I worry about him missing her. It’s nice to have found this forum.
Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here. Sorry to hear about your loss. You are more than welcome to share your Double yellow head Amazon story. Don’t forget to mention their name :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss, I know how much your heart must be hurting. Your little girl was SO blessed to have known your love for her whole life and I hope you can take some comfort from that. You will see her again at the Bridge, where we will all be reunited with our beloved ones one day 🙏 🌈

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Amazons become so deeply connected with us and our World seems to go silent when they pass! They are bigger than life and their ownership of our life is felt. This is true with all members of our home and so very true with your dear Grey.

Yes, your direction of attention toward your Grey has great merit as he also built strong relationship and being highly intelligent understand the family loss a beloved member. He is grieving with all of you, as well.

With huge, warm, Amazon Feather Hugs, know that we understand and stand with you in your families loss!

Within the Amazon Forum, near the top is a sticky Thread that has a Title something like: I Love Amazon -... Within that Thread is a Segment that is dedicated to; The Passing of an Amazon. Passing of a Feathered Friend May it provide you comfort!

Last edited:
OP
Kat57

Kat57

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
Amazons become so deeply connected with us and our World seems to go silent when they pass! They are bigger than life and their ownership of our life is felt. This is true with all members of our home and so very true with your dear Grey.

Yes, your direction of attention toward your Grey has great merit as he also built strong relationship and being highly intelligent understand the family loss a beloved member. He is grieving with all of you, as well.

With huge, warm, Amazon Feather Hugs, know that we understand and stand with you in your families loss!

Within the Amazon Forum, near the top is a sticky Thread that has a Title something like: I Love Amazon -... Within that Thread is a Segment that is dedicated to; The Passing of an Amazon. Passing of a Feathered Friend May it provide you comfort!

Thank you. Your message, so eloquently said, touches my heart. Kelly’s ownership of my life is so greatly missed. I hadn’t thought of, or realized that aspect and the void is huge. My tears streamed reading and re-reading your passage in Passing of a Feathered Friend, and thank you for giving me a comforting vision to ponder.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am so very sorry for your loss.
I know how it feels having lost 2 Amazons.
What you are doing is just exactly what I did.
I doubled down on my attention to my flock especially those closest to the bird that passed.
It helped both of us.

We hear about how long lived our amazon friends are 40,50,60 years.
But those are just averages.

OP
Kat57

Kat57

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
I am so very sorry for your loss.
I know how it feels having lost 2 Amazons.
What you are doing is just exactly what I did.
I doubled down on my attention to my flock especially those closest to the bird that passed.
It helped both of us.

We hear about how long lived our amazon friends are 40,50,60 years.
But those are just averages.
Thank you. I’m so very sorry for your loss too. Yes, I had a guess estimate number in my head, as to how long Kelly would live, and it was way beyond 34. I used to breed African greys in S Fl decades ago, and I lost my first hatchling, JJ, in 2020 at the age of 30 due to heart. That hurt deeply. It’s sad to see my Rocky here solo, but he’s getting lots of TLC and he’s enjoying my snuggles and watching PBS Kids network accompanied by music. Thank you for sharing that you doubled down with extra TLC too. Brings some confidence in my heart that his grief might be lifted a bit. My Kelly had such a dominant personality & we miss her calling for us & her constant interactions and bells and toys jingling. It’s so startling quiet without her now and we’re home all day. All the music in the world can’t hide that she’s not here, and even emphasizes that she would be singing along. Thank you again for your comforting message.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Oh man, so sorry to hear of your loss! Amazons are on a different level...and if my Amazon ever passes, it will be a massive hit to the whole family. I would definitely pay more attention to the African Grey, without a doubt he or she knows of the loss. My Amazon (Manolo) knew when i was deeply stressed, and was hurt when i found out terrible news of a close family member, he specifically wanted to be near me, and would try and groom my beard or continuously give kisses..and normally he's a grouch, so i knew he was feeling everything.

It is nice having parrot forums, back in the day there was nothing, just your vet which at times can be a shot in the dark. I have been around parrots for a large majority of my life and i still run into issues or have questions...back in the day you would hope the vet had a clue and ran with it. These forums are packed with some really nice people as well. again, so sorry for your loss.

OP
Kat57

Kat57

Jan 17, 2024
Parrots
Oh man, so sorry to hear of your loss! Amazons are on a different level...and if my Amazon ever passes, it will be a massive hit to the whole family. I would definitely pay more attention to the African Grey, without a doubt he or she knows of the loss. My Amazon (Manolo) knew when i was deeply stressed, and was hurt when i found out terrible news of a close family member, he specifically wanted to be near me, and would try and groom my beard or continuously give kisses..and normally he's a grouch, so i knew he was feeling everything.

It is nice having parrot forums, back in the day there was nothing, just your vet which at times can be a shot in the dark. I have been around parrots for a large majority of my life and i still run into issues or have questions...back in the day you would hope the vet had a clue and ran with it. These forums are packed with some really nice people as well. again, so sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much for your message. So many people don’t understand this heartbreaking loss of a beloved parrot family member, and I agree that this forum is so compassionate and caring, and “knows.” My Grey definitely feels Kelly’s absence and is wanting my extra love. I’m sorry for your family upset, and it’s heartwarming that Manolo wanted to be there for you. I think that’s what my Rocky’s doing with me too. It sure hurts a lot going through this. Thank you again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts