Looking to adopt a hand tamed parrot as our new family member

Carolmarol5

New member
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Parrots
I used to have a double yellow, headed at Amazon. Looking for another medium size parrot to adopt.
Hello! I am brand new to this forum. We had a double yellow headed Amazon for 30 years that passed away June 2025. Went back-and-forth (not sure if I wanted to get another one) but after much time and consideration, we are now looking for something a little sweeter. (Yes we all know double yellow headed Amazon’s can be quite cantankerous). After doing a lot of research, these are the parrots. I’m most interested in… Mexican redhead, blue front, eclectus and possibly a cockatoo. We are looking for something sweet that will interact with the entire family. If anyone out there is looking to rehome one of these guys, I would be interested in possibly adopting after meeting your baby. I’ve been to a few Parrot Rescue places and going to my fourth one tomorrow. I live in the Tempe area. And I am definitely not interested in having a bird shipped. I want to find something local in the Phoenix Metropolitan area… would travel up to 50 miles.
 
I have 3 Mexican redhead Amazons.
Not looking to adopt them out but….
Two of them are friendly in a distant sort of way.
We can pick them up and carry them here/there but don’t want to spend time with us.

Any parrot can become fixed on one person to the exclusion of everyone else.

From what I’ve read the eclectus may be your best bet for universal acceptance but I can’t speak from experience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
I have 3 Mexican redhead Amazons.
Not looking to adopt them out but….
Two of them are friendly in a distant sort of way.
We can pick them up and carry them here/there but don’t want to spend time with us.

Any parrot can become fixed on one person to the exclusion of everyone else.

From what I’ve read the eclectus may be your best bet for universal acceptance but I can’t speak from experience.
I actually just went to go look at one today and she was extremely sweet, but my daughter and I are going to a Parrot Rescue Pl. in Tucson tomorrow so won’t be making any decisions today
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom