Hello to all and question about a CAG.

SamMorrison

Jan 29, 2020
Kerrville
Parrots
A baby CAG in 4 months
My name is Sam and I am preparing to welcome home a baby CAG in approx 3.5 months. I want to make sure that I am the best companion this bird will ever have. I am making sure everything is safe here, removing toxins, reading everything and will spend 3 months after the birds birth to help be a part of it's life.....at the breeders before I finally can bring him or her home. I will spend 8 plus hours a day one on one and have made this decision after years of consideration. I have a concern. I recently read that Jane Hallander, an avian expert, wrote in 2000(after an extensive study) that 63 percent of male CAG reject or change who they care to bond with while 16% of females do. I do not know if that is true and I ask because I want this bird to never feel that it is cared for by someone it does not like (as it will be me). I do not want an ornament, but a friend that will have the best life possible. I am not married, do not have children or other pets. Am I overly worried? Any advice would help. And I apologize if this is a silly question, but I do not take the birds feelings lightly. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sam:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello Sam & welcome to the PF family. Glad you joined us and are asking questions. A new baby so exciting!! :)

Check these links out first, you'll find them very helpful.

http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

If it's only you and the CAG, I wouldn't worry about him/her bonding with another. There is no one else to bond with in the house. Unless, I'm missing something?

Please keep asking questions and best of luck.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Sam, deep respect for preparation and motivation! Tami's links above are an excellent prelude to homecoming. While there is never a guarantee a bird will bond, being the sole consistent human bodes well. Spending quality time at the breeder's facility will ease the transition.

OP
S

SamMorrison

Jan 29, 2020
Kerrville
Parrots
A baby CAG in 4 months
Thank you so very much!! I apologize for the personal info. I am so so excited and terrified that I won't be the best. You did help me. I will slowly socialize my baby, but want to be a valued flock member as well.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
CAGs are extremely intelligent, expect the occasional two steps forward/one step backward experience curve for the first few weeks. They are in many aspects similar to a 3 year old child! Love, patience, and consistency are key to building a strong bond.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My name is Sam and I am preparing to welcome home a baby CAG in approx 3.5 months. I want to make sure that I am the best companion this bird will ever have. I am making sure everything is safe here, removing toxins, reading everything and will spend 3 months after the birds birth to help be a part of it's life.....at the breeders before I finally can bring him or her home. I will spend 8 plus hours a day one on one and have made this decision after years of consideration. I have a concern. I recently read that Jane Hallander, an avian expert, wrote in 2000(after an extensive study) that 63 percent of male CAG reject or change who they care to bond with while 16% of females do. I do not know if that is true and I ask because I want this bird to never feel that it is cared for by someone it does not like (as it will be me). I do not want an ornament, but a friend that will have the best life possible. I am not married, do not have children or other pets. Am I overly worried? Any advice would help. And I apologize if this is a silly question, but I do not take the birds feelings lightly. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sam:confused:

I would be very cautious spending 8 hours a day one-on-one. That is not realistic long-term and it is not enough socialization. Your bird needs to be around other people as well if at all possible and while time-out-of cage/interaction is important, 8 hours one-on-one is not sustainable (plus it doesn't provide proper interaction with others). It is also not fair to the bird because if you ever don't have as much time, it will be too needy to understand independence when you start it at 8 hours a day. If you are worried about rejection, adult birds are a safer bet and they need homes too. Many birds push back at puberty--some also change preferences long-term---but it doesn't always happen.

Avoid the temptation to spoil/overindulge this bird with/for behaviors that you cannot maintain until you are 85 years old (as you know, a baby is going to live a long time--barring health issues). Establish boundaries and appropriate behaviors early (rather than waiting for the bird to become obnoxious at puberty etc).

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! The bond will form, but you really want a socialized companion too! You want the closeness, I understand, but you want a baby that is a real gentleman/lady around others!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcomed to the forum! Congratulations on your new soon to be CAG. If 3 months is 12 weeks, you might want the baby to spend a little longer at the breeders. As long as the breeder is exposing them to lots of new things, and foods, allowing them to fledge and lear to fly well. A very critical time in parrots development both mental and physical. Also be prepared to supplement with warm feedings, as young often regress, or as a support. There is some thoughts on the bennifit of this with parrot species that would stay for almost a year with parrents. It's thought to promote security and confidence. I offer food ( pellets, veggies, seeds, ECT) by hand every day. It's been great for introducing new foods, and giving medicine, and reafirm our bond.

Noodles is right, your bird needs to be able to entertain themselves as well. I'm stay at home, my birds out all day. Then one day I was very sick, and so sick for 3 days I just couldn't have the birds out, as I kept passing out, falling asleep. Well the whole time I had them in the cage they screamed non stop, non stop for 8-10 hours!!! I've since taught them to be caged an hour or two during the day, it took time, but now they can be caged and entertaining themselves when needed. Thank goodness!!!

I also took in a rehome from a college student and he had very much socialized this parrot. He such a dream , will step up and hang out with anyone who comes to the house.

Teaching foraging, recall flight training in house, perhaps have breeder work with having the baby wear a harness, as babies are by far the easiest to harness train. Read up about that so it's not a negative thing.

I'm going to link an article on stress in parrots. Because it just has lots of good info and ideas. Like pattering to music, rituals and routines, I shape behavior but don't use a clicker, I just say good bird and give the treat works the same.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:
OP
S

SamMorrison

Jan 29, 2020
Kerrville
Parrots
A baby CAG in 4 months
Thank you all for the information. I misspoke about one of one with the parrot. What I was trying to say was that I have the majority of my day free and would have plenty of time to spend with the parrot. I know that 8 hours of anything is not sustainable(it would be great if my sleep was though). I will spend as much time with the breeder as possible and he has stressed the importance of using the three months to be "taught" what is right and how to properly feed, socialize, find a great vet, have boundaries etc. And the bird won't leave until we are both ready.

Most Reactions