Hello! (waves)

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
Hi everyone!

I had budgies as a kid and in my 20's. Now 2 decades later, I've acquired another pair a week ago. I missed them!

I got mine from kijiji, which is the equivalent of Craigslist. Both unwanted, throwaway pets. There are literally thousands of unwanted budgies in Canada it seems. One is very young and will be a snap to train (finger trained after 2 days) and the other maybe about 6 months and is more challenging and flighty. I have them in separate cages and spend time with them while I work from home.

Any training tips are welcome. Especially for the older budge.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Be patient time is key i just adopted 3 year old budgie a week ago and he just now lets me sit up next to him the older they are the longer they are gonna take to tame i mean i had a scared possibly abused budgie for 4 years she never really trusted me you just have to love them and care for them and eventually they'll warm up to u even if it takes years i know that better than anybody.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
I also got several of my birds through Kijiji, and there are so many budgies there. I'm so glad you brought these two into your family.

This is a wonderful link with great info in it:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I'm so happy you joined us!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard and return to parronthood! Respect for adopting unwanted budgies, they will reward you with boundless love!! We love pics if you'd like to share!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
congratulations on your new buddies! So wonderful to hear of you taking them on.
There is an avalanche of parrots being passed off as they are more work, noise and mess than the people ever knew.

In my area quaker are always listed, they turn to screaming if not out of cage for several hours and eell provided for. Budgies also by the hundreds, then IRN .

So glad these 2 were found by you! Can't wait to see them and hear everything.

Glad you joined

OP
Tiki Bird

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
Thanks for the warm welcome! Finger training is going.... Well it's going. The young bird is a super star. The older one is a bit if a flighty dolt but coming around. I spent a few weeks going really slowly now I'm being a little more persistent. Had them both on my finger the other day, super cute. I can't remember how I tamed my budgies as a kid at all, but I did.

They are both little gals I think. It's nice to hear budgie chortles in my house again.

Here are my little bird brains. Are they pied?
DSC_0049.JPG

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Thanks for the warm welcome! Finger training is going.... Well it's going. The young bird is a super star. The older one is a bit if a flighty dolt but coming around. I spent a few weeks going really slowly now I'm being a little more persistent. Had them both on my finger the other day, super cute. I can't remember how I tamed my budgies as a kid at all, but I did.

They are both little gals I think. It's nice to hear budgie chortles in my house again.

Here are my little bird brains. Are they pied?
View attachment 36160
yep, welcome to the forum :)

Most Reactions