Hello !

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yup. Parrots scream, some more than others! Muffling it down with earplugs will make it more tolerable, help save your sanity šŸ„“ and protect your hearing. And, since you won't react with as much obvious distress, your winged terrorist won't get such a thrill out of watching you cringe, so maybe he will lose interest in this game.
Do you think she screams like this when you aren't home and she's alone? If not, she's definitely doing it it pull your chain or get attention. Once she realizes she's not getting the desired, or any, reaction she may stop.

paddy1998

Oct 28, 2014
So Ik macaws are naturally very noisy birds but is there any possible way to make them happier / not so screachy. šŸ˜… I almost feel as if sheā€™s asking for something and Iā€™m neglecting her in some way. I donā€™t mind the noises but sheā€™s a frequent screamer and that is putting her noises lightly šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø she is 100% cage free and always has access to food and water as well as toys and fresh fruit a perch and even a window she also gets trips outside . Does she maybe want a friend? Lol I donā€™t know how that would go down because sheā€™s a dominant birdie and Iā€™m just confused šŸ˜ plz help lol Iā€™ve been looking for a swing that will fit her but sheā€™s truely a bigger girl so I will more than likely end up making on. Thank you in advance. Also,, she has a tendency to try to bite me and typically only me as well as any and all other females who try to give her any attention. Iā€™ve been researching shunning but I havenā€™t quiet started yet as she doesnā€™t really enjoy to be set anywhere besides the top of her cage and my shoulder, she will persistently perch herself on my shoulder and if I try to itch myself, by where she is or anything close adjust clothes ect, she will puffed up, and start to try to bite at my hands. She has never drew blood, but she has bruised my arm before. She is a rescue and her previous owner was a male and believe it or not any random John off the street and she will instantly rehome herself with that man šŸ„²šŸ˜‚ Iā€™ve already invested so much in her sheā€™s so gorgeous and unique I couldnā€™t possible part ways with her but I want to give her the happiest of lives !View attachment 50671View attachment 50672View attachment 50673
After nine years with a Scarlet, a few random thoughts in no particular order:

Cage free? Has Peaches always been cage free, or is that only since she came to live with you? If peaches used to live in a cage, not having one might be a source of anxiety.

I noticed you said she likes to be out on top of the cage. There's a theory (with which I agree) that perching on top of the cage high above you is an expression of dominance. I did not allow this. In fact, the only time I allowed my Scarlet to perch higher than the top of my head was if he was on his playstand and I was sitting down. At all other times he perched at my eye level or below.

Somebody is going to be in charge at your house, either Peaches or you. Really, you want it to be you. It's better for you, better for Peaches.

Peaches is a rescue? How long has she lived with you? It takes time for her to get used to you and her new home. Sometimes months. Unlike dogs or cats, parrots are prey, so they're afraid of everything . . . until they're not.

Parrots want security; routine, schedules, time to wake up, time to go to bed, time for dinner, time for fresh water, time to come out and play, etc. Peaches is a toddler, and needs routine in the same way.

Anytime you're holding Peaches you need to be in control of the bird. Either perched on your hand between your thumb and forefinger (so you can lightly hold Peaches foot with your thumb) or on your forearm slightly inclined so your hand is higher than your elbow. This way Peaches can't crawl up onto your shoulder.

Screaming? Or calling? They're not the same thing. Calling is loud as hell and will knock you out of your chair, but it isn't constant, 2-3 seconds. Screaming goes on and has an entirely different sound. The first time my Scarlet screamed I thought "Oh my God, somebody is murdering a baby in my living room!" I went in there and he was leaning his beak against the cage screaming. I didn't know what to do. Then he stopped. Next few times he did it I went in there and lightly touched his beak with my finger. He stopped immediately and looked at me as if to say "What do you want?" Later I wouldn't even have to touch his beak, just lift my arm and he would stop. Then he stopped altogether. To give you an idea of how long some of these things can take, it was 2 years before he stopped screaming altogether, but only a few months before he was doing it less often, maybe once a week.

Reward good behavior, not bad behavior. A treat to reinforce good behavior (bribing) is good. A treat to try and buy off bad behavior (extortion) is counterproductive and reinforces bad behavior. Don't try to get Peaches to stop doing something bad by offering a treat.

Be patient, you're not going to learn everything you need to know from a single board thread. Keep an eye on this board and others. Lots of good people with good advice on here. Read everything you can about macaws and behavior.

And remember, for every 10 macaw owners there will be 15 different opinions. Just do the best you can. Try everything reasonable, and then keep doing what works.

Good luck to you and Peaches.

[A RARE instance of Nino being above my head.]
me and nino.jpg

Grandma

May 26, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
I volunteered at a rescue, with no species expectations. When my 11yr old scarlet macaw chose me. Not knowing his history I don't push him but interact with him allday. Just wondering if the are any signs I should be looking for that he needs something more?

Most Reactions

Latest posts