HELP Budgie has a sore/tumour?

Bellabudgie

Mar 11, 2021
Hi all, recently our pet budgie has gone off her food and water, she’s all fluffed up and is sleeping nearly all day. Today we found this on her around her bum and we don’t know what to do! We don’t have any avian vets near us, so any recommendations as to what this could be would be so helpful!
Thank you x

25965d1615485867-help-budgie-has-sore-tumour-7d6d9639-84b2-49fd-b7a0-6b08b32c68e8.jpg

25966d1615485881-help-budgie-has-sore-tumour-0844a153-f8b3-4ce7-82e9-e08a5e72c5e8.jpg

Attachments

• 7D6D9639-84B2-49FD-B7A0-6B08B32C68E8.jpg
    7D6D9639-84B2-49FD-B7A0-6B08B32C68E8.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 0844A153-F8B3-4CE7-82E9-E08A5E72C5E8.jpg
    0844A153-F8B3-4CE7-82E9-E08A5E72C5E8.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 3,537
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This could be from egg binding a life threatening situation, that need a vet.

This is the birds vent, were they pee and poop from. Or females also lay eggs from. Also your burd has diarrhea, fir little ones become serious very quickly.

Regardless, what you describe is a very very sick bird. You don't have much time to save her. Vets will do video consultation or at lest many will.
You need to find a vet , even if you have to drive 2 hours. You can let us know were you live, many people cannhelp find a vet.

In this situation to do nothing, is let your bird suffer and die.

Here are some nursing tips, extra warmth helps them .
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Budgies are susceptible to egg binding as Laura (above) suggests. If absolutely no avian vet or potential for video conference, any local poultry farmers or zoological societies?

Proper medical care best if diagnosed egg binding, but there are home treatments that are better than doing nothing. Time is critical!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Do you feel something hard near her vent ? ( do not press too hard- if it’s an egg you don’t want to break it). I dealt with egg binding but I saw symptoms pretty immediately. I gave my button quail a magnesium bath for about five minutes (made sure the water stayed warm). I also fed her with e a syringe apple sauce (At one time I did add sugar) a little magnesium and a bone pill mixed in the apple sauce. I set up the hospital cage making it toasty because she is wet from the bath. The hospital cage had a bird friendly space heater and heating pad. I enclosed all sides of the hospital cage and added a line of oxygen. After the second magnesium salt bath I lathered her vent in coconut oil - they hope is some oil manages go inside her ve by. The coconut oil is warm - not hot and not cold.

I had a phone consult for this with an experience bird person(Rescue) who suggested the coconut oil. He also suggested give them egg shells because it’s the best source of calcium- the egg shells has minerals to help calcium absorption.

I’ll try to find the article I followed. I believe the water to epson salt was a cup of water to a tablespoon of epson salt.

Your bird may need a vet and they well do a calcium and magnesium shot.

Make sure you keep the bird warm- this is so important! And the apple sauce will help give energy.

My bird with egg binding was a button quail similar size to your budgie.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
https://www.communitychickens.com/egg-bound-zw02009ztil/

https://www.thechickentractor.com.au/how-to-help-an-egg-bound-chicken/

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/egg-bound-chicken/

The last link has the video I used to follow how too.

I bought epson salt from local pharmacy and used a medicine spoon to give the apple sauce to my bird ( the apple sauce i used was organic apple sauce - only ingredient was apples) if you don’t have apple sauce (I initial didn’t) I used brown sugar water. Wishing you luck.

OP
B

Bellabudgie

Mar 11, 2021
Thank you for your responses, we’re taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning! Very worried, we’ve had a closer look and I’ve attached the photo, the lump is underneath her vent and the skin at the bottom of it looks like there’s blood underneath?

25967d1615499234-help-budgie-has-sore-tumour-78021bfe-cbfb-4d39-ba96-11badebd6d37.jpg

Attachments

• 78021BFE-CBFB-4D39-BA96-11BADEBD6D37.jpg
    78021BFE-CBFB-4D39-BA96-11BADEBD6D37.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,448
Last edited by a moderator:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Could this be a prolapse due to an egg ? Has this bird been an egg layer in the past?

OP
B

Bellabudgie

Mar 11, 2021
No not a prolapse, and she’s never laid any eggs before and she’s 5/6. She’s ok, still not really eating or drinking, she’s still able to climb and move around her cage though. We’ve neber felt an egg before but we don’t think so, it feels more just a solid lump rather than an egg shape?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The bottom of her feet are aldo scraped up. Those plastic perches with sharp edges should be removed.

Good luck. Keep her warm. Offer egg food, millet spray molting mix anything she will eay.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Could it be a papiloma or hernia? Infection with pacheco's herpesevirus (?)--this can sometimes papillomas in some survivors (internal papilloma disease)??
papillomatosis/papillomavirus?

I'm just throwing stuff out there for the sake of research

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Are you able to get her in to see a vet? When you palpated her abdomen and under her rib cage to feel anything hard? How’s her poop? Is there any improvements?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm hoping the vet was able to help. I know she was in serious condition. Im adding my prayers.

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Yes, in any case, you should visit a vet. I do not see visibly a tumour there, there might be an agg, but you could feel it by touching. If the egg is bound, she would breath heavily and moving the tale. The vet would better know if there is a cyst, tumour or egg bounded.
HEr feet has pododermatitis. Buy some self sticking bandage to use it on wooden perches and maybe buy some aloe vera plant, cut from the leaf and use it like a creme or gel on the feet. Keep us informed. I pray for your budgie. you should keep at least 2 budgies.

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Yes, of course, the liver can be enlarged and she would have yellowish drops. Also the kidneys are secondary affected.

Most Reactions