(help!) how long does egg laying take?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
<3 <3 <3

You are a good mamma-

Seriously-- I will say a prayer for you..I can't imagine how stressed and scared you must be, but again, I want to keep repeating that you have done everything you could and that you have done an amazing job.

A kid in a hospital might also be scared, but it's the right thing to do- if you didn't do it, you know you would wonder...SO...I'm sorry it was so expensive, and hopefully you can do a payment plan or something, but I think that mentally, you will feel better in the long-run than if you hadn't gotten her in (at least, that's how I would feel, personally). They really are family, as you know better than some. There is no doubt how much your care.

Last edited:
OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
EGG IS OUT Y'ALL!!!!!! no surgery needed! But vet did say "it was huge!!!!!"!

Pip is still super lethargic and STRESSED out but no more egg!! We are home now! She's hopping a lot? Which she's done before if she gets poop on her vent (not v common) but she's all wet down there (gross) so i'm assuming it's just a way of her to shake stuff off? I can't wait for her to eat and SLEEP

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
OMG YAY!!!!!!
I was super mentally invested in this whole situation for some reason and I don't know either of you really lol, so I can only imagine how you felt!!!!!!!!

I am so happy it's out!

In the future, if she has any shadowy spaces, huts, boxes etc in cage, remove those. They can be triggers for egg-laying in most birds.

Did you ask them if there could be others coming? Usually eggs come in clutches, so while they are open, I would verify. You should probably also see if you need to make dietary adjustments due to the bodily tax of laying an egg.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well thank goodness for that, I'm so happy for you and Pip!

Noodles is quite right though, where there's one egg there's often another already forming, so do watch her closely over the next 48 hours. Going forward you'll need to make sure she doesn't have access to any spot that remotely resembles a nest or nesting material - and as the fellow owner of a tiny bird I know how tricky that can be!

Hopefully though there's only the one egg and Pip makes a full and speedy recovery - she's had quite the misadventure!

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Oh, no. Pip is doing not well anymore. I took a nap (to recover from the all nighter aha) and found her looking worse than all the other times put together. She's weak and sputtering and can't lift her weight anymore. She won't even open her beak when I try to drop her water and medicine in. Her eyes haven't opened at all. I've called two emergency hospitals and they've turned me away because they don't see birds after all despite websites' info. I'll keep reaching out and widening the radius of hospitals but it doesn't look good. I'm heartbroken. I hope she's not in pain. Sorry for the bad news — i know y'all have been invested in her wellbeing like I have and I really really am grateful

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry, I'm heartbroken for you too! There may have been some internal trauma involved with her passing that egg. I know you will keep trying and keep doing everything you can for her though. Stay strong for her, for what it's worth I'm sending every bit of positivity I can to you both!

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I'm so sorry, I'm heartbroken for you too! There may have been some internal trauma involved with her passing that egg. I know you will keep trying and keep doing everything you can for her though. Stay strong for her, for what it's worth I'm sending every bit of positivity I can to you both!

thank you. <3

three hours later and pip is unchanged, which i suppose is better than nothing. the great (??) thing is that she woke up for a few seconds and swallowed a few drops of water that i mixed with her antibiotics (which the vet told me to do) as well as calcium carbonate and a littleee bit of orange juice. i know it's an unsanctioned concoction (as in, it's not solely water), but she hasn't eaten anything in nearly 24 hours and I'd really like to see her with some calories. Plus, the vet wasn't able to give her a calcium shot during her visit since she she seemed too stress, they said. I think maybe her weakness is due to hypocalcemia.

I've called seven emergency vets and all have turned me away on account of the patient being a bird. Plus, it's Sunday.... there's a vet an hour away that's open at 10 AM. I think I'll try to take her.. I don't want her to suffer in the car, but if she's held on being sick for that long (by 10 am, it'd be at least 12 hours of weakness), then I think the vet is worth a shot.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I wish I could be more help to you, but you really do sound like you're doing everything you possibly can, and no little birdie could ask for more! It's lousy you can't get help closer to home, but at least you do have some options, especially on a Sunday!

While there's life there's hope and I have every finger, toe and eye crossed for you!

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I wish I could be more help to you, but you really do sound like you're doing everything you possibly can, and no little birdie could ask for more! It's lousy you can't get help closer to home, but at least you do have some options, especially on a Sunday!

While there's life there's hope and I have every finger, toe and eye crossed for you!

Thank you LaManuka. Being a solo+broke college student handling this has been weirdly lonely, thank you (and everyone else on this thread) for being really calming presences over the past few hours.

I want to update that Pip passed away about an hour ago. She had started drinking water so I took that as a good sign, but she was just too weak I guess. I could tell she was suffering though, so I'm really glad she no longer is. Tomorrow I'm going to bury her tiny lil body in my family's garden. She's flying free now, but of course I'm really going to miss her. Sorry this story didn't have a happy ending. :"( </3

I'll post some photos of Pip when she was chipper and healthy here so you all can see how cute she was. :")

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I'm so sorry, I know how this must be hurting you. But you did absolutely everything you could and Pip passed while loved dearly, and that's a precious gift. And I'd love to see some pictures whenever you're ready!

Godspeed on your way to the Rainbow Bridge sweet little Pip, until we all meet again.

"I will lend to you, a bird," God said, "and teach you all you have to do,
And when I call her back to heaven, you will know she loved you too.":smile016:

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I present: Pip! She lived a very boisterous and gluttonous life (lol).
pip yellow.jpg
pip young.jpg
pip sweater.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you for sharing these, Pip was so precious! She looks about the same size as my Lilly.

I hope you continue to celebrate her wonderfully "boisterous and gluttonous life" with a smile - I think she was one lucky little birdie :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I am so very sorry for your loss.
:(
So sorry...
You gave Pip a life she never would have had otherwise and I'm sad you had to see her go, but the fact that she was with you and wasn't suffering anymore is, hopefully, a bit comforting.

Thank you for trying and caring and giving Pip a great life!

Her epitaph is AMAZING btw "boisterous and gluttonous"...sounds quite good lol ;)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m so very, very sorry about Pip. I think we should all aspire to live boisterous and gluttonous lives. [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Pip. Thank you for rescuing her and being so dedicated. I hope in time her sweet memories will outweigh sadness.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Sorry to hear this, but it does sound pip had a great life that she most likely would never have had without your help. Aren't sparrows beautiful birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts