Parrot keeps on laying eggs

Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Parrots
Cockatiel
Literally made an account here cuz I'm loosing my mind at this point.

My Cockatiel won't stop laying eggs
(I'm gonna refer to him as a "he" cuz it was a suprise when he started laying eggs and im used to it as well as he reacts to it)

He first started two years ago, when i found a single egg on my desktop (i don't remember if there was more). The next year he laid 2 eggs, which cracked on the impact (cuz he was sitting on a high point in his cage) and literally didn't care about them.

But this year? He kept laying eggs around my room and they would usually brake on impact with the floor. I put him in his cage so he would finally stop breaking his eggs. He finally made a little corner for himself where he would sit on the eggs and lay them. After laying 7 eggs in there (after a couple broke) and sitting on them he finally stopped caring about them but i left them in his cage for a little bit longer (ngl I've tried everything I've read online, even buying blinds to make "nights" longer) but he started laying even more eggs.

Currently there's 11 eggs that he's sitting in and idk what to do. There aren't any parrot specialist vets around for me to ask. Should i leave him be again? Take the previous 7 eggs or would that just make him lay 7 more to fill out the taken ones? Idk on how many more eggs he can sit on before he won't cover them completely

I read about replacing eggs with fake ones but i figured that since they're definitely not fertile i wouldn't have to? Should i do it anyway?

He's 10, in December he will be with me for 10 years. Never pet him on his back only his head. His diet never changed. Could it be that the unusual heatwave had caused it? Cuz it's never been this hot in my country ever and he only started laying eggs after the heatwave returned after some time of cold/usual temperatures.

i do apologise for any grammatical/spelling mistakes, english is not my first language
 
First OFF.....Welcome to the forum! It has been a long time since I had a femail teil, but YES....replacing the eggs is recommended. Secondly make sure that She is getting enough calcium while this egg legging is going on. It can make them really sick laying so many eggs. Hoping that someone with more recent experience can give more adice.
 
First OFF.....Welcome to the forum! It has been a long time since I had a femail teil, but YES....replacing the eggs is recommended. Secondly make sure that She is getting enough calcium while this egg legging is going on. It can make them really sick laying so many eggs. Hoping that someone with more recent experience can give more adice.
One of my Cockatiels
 
One of my cockatiels (Angel) has been laying eggs this year.

They seem to come in 3’s
She only gets scratches on neck and head.
But she……self pleasures herself on thin air.
Nothing you can do to stop it.
We give calcium supplements.
If it was worse I would look into hormonal implants that can reduce egg laying.
 
Oh wow... sounds like you've got one determined cockatiel! The others have offered good advice. I would also limit the soft foods they're getting. It, with everything else, can trigger a hen to lay.
 
First OFF.....Welcome to the forum! It has been a long time since I had a femail teil, but YES....replacing the eggs is recommended. Secondly make sure that She is getting enough calcium while this egg legging is going on. It can make them really sick laying so many eggs. Hoping that someone with more recent experience can give more adice.
I've been adding calcium vitamins to the food to make sure he has enough, as well as he has 3 calcium blocks in his cage so that is taken care of ‼️ I will try to get fake eggs to replace, god knows how much i actually have to buy 😭
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
One of my cockatiels (Angel) has been laying eggs this year.

They seem to come in 3’s
She only gets scratches on neck and head.
But she……self pleasures herself on thin air.
Nothing you can do to stop it.
We give calcium supplements.
If it was worse I would look into hormonal implants that can reduce egg laying.
Do you maybe know it that kind of behaviour is a one off thing or can it return next year? And is there any way i can prevent it from happening next year?
 
Do you maybe know it that kind of behaviour is a one off thing or can it return next year? And is there any way i can prevent it from happening next year?
It’s just my opinion but I think cockatiels are opportunistic breeders .
Time of year doesn’t matter, if the conditions are right it just turns on a switch.

Angel turned 10 years old this year and she never layed eggs before this. She hatched in my home and I helped raise her so age is for sure.
Her sister from the same clutch doesn’t lay eggs, at least not yet.

If it was more constantly I would try to get the hormon implant for her.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Back
Top Bottom