HELP! Importing an Endangered Species.

Brittany-Jean

Sep 20, 2010
everywhere
Parrots
I have one very dear African Grey named Norman.
I recently adopted a now 8 month old African Grey but have since discovered that Greys are considered an endangered species. Now, I've known for a long time that I would eventually be moving overseas and never considered taking my pets an issue or a burden but his status as an endangered species complicates things immensely.

I need advice. My heart tells me I should keep him and hope that in the next ten years laws in Europe don't change to make it illegal for me to import him into France (there are groups fighting to have these laws changed now) but I'm concerned that what's best for the bird would be to find him a new, more secure home while he's young and adaptable and not risk his future. What do you think? Has anyone tried to get the necessary importation permits for endangered animals before? How difficult are they to obtain? I'll need one from America as well as France. Note: it is already illegal to import African Greys into the United States.

Thank you.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I'm unclear as to when you're taking him....? In the immediate future?

Also, where from and to? From the USA to France?

I doubt anyone can help without this info. :)

OP
B

Brittany-Jean

Sep 20, 2010
everywhere
Parrots
I have one very dear African Grey named Norman.
I'm importing him from America into France in the next four years.

Thank you for responding. :D

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I knew someone would/ could help you ;)

I hope you find a solution! It would be a shame to part with your AG if it's not necessary.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Shipping to France from USA, entails a cities permit, health certificate from vet. Your bird will have to be quarantined for 30 days upon arrival.

Most Reactions

Latest posts