Help indentifying what kind of amazon parrot this is.

Cristin111

Jul 26, 2017
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what kind of Amazon. I have. I got him from a private party that didn't know what kind he was either. To me it looks like some kind of hybrid. He looks a lot like a red lorded amazon except for its dark brown on the crown of his head instead red. He is only 4 months old and I know his colors might change but I haven't been able to find any pictures of any Juvenal red lords that have brown instead of red. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is a baby red lored. The reds just haven't grown in yet. Give it a couple of molts, and they will...

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
His beak will get darker, too. He looks friendly. Since no one involved seems to know much about parrots, you probably need to look into proper care and perhaps consider seeing a certified avian veterinarian. He's young enough that you can probably switch him to a better diet if needed. That needs to be done carefully, but it's easier at his age than it would be for an older bird. :)

Welcome to being owned by an Amazon.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
that's a little tweetie bird.

I have two Red Lored Amazons they are both super sweet, with vastly different personalities, and do not get along with each other at all.
Primor is about ten and Aba is 35ish

all the info you need, to have a happy, healthy, and well adjusted amazon is on this forum .

good luck.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Red lored are about, what? 350 grams? That's bigger than Salty, who runs around 282 to 295 grams, he's almost 2 and not likely to get any bigger (unless he gets fatter).

The baby in the pics is a real cutie, he has that upturned beak some birds have. Natural smile.

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Red lored are about, what? 350 grams? That's bigger than Salty, who runs around 282 to 295 grams, he's almost 2 and not likely to get any bigger (unless he gets fatter).

The baby in the pics is a real cutie, he has that upturned beak some birds have. Natural smile.

Wow, Salty is just a little guy. Aw! He's even cuter now, if that's possible. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts