Help me understand..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
..took the green dino out once again for a short adventure promising chic drum stix. Pulled into Popeyes and as we waited our turn at the speaker he see's a couple crows scavenging around. He lets out what all I can call is a warning trill. I tell Amy "it's ok,you're safe,you're with me" We move up the line and he's giving those thugs the hairy eyeball and still trilling. Again I say it's ok..you're with me. He turns to me and says "I/m with you" I SWEAR he said that! Honest!
I put in our order,the girl behind the video/speaker recognizes him and says HI Birdy and he mumbles back in Amazon speak.
On the way home I tell him what a good bird he is and as I pull into the driveway I tell him we've have drum stix today and this time he comes out with "Chicken???" in the form of a question. Really folks can't make this up :eek:

So...are they REALLY that intelligent? To comprehend what their person is saying? To "put all the pieces" together? i.e. the adventure..the same popeye's,asking for the same order? I mean years ago when I opened the front door for him to look out,thats when he started with "outside? in the car?" thats what I asked him when I opened the door. Boggles the mind :confused:

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

That's awesome, Jim. Not mind boggling at all, my friend. Amy is one seriously smart cookie! :)

I dunno Jon...this summer he's been unbelievable..and this summer we've gone out quite a bit..maybe all these adventures is stimulating his mind...I dare not ask him coz he just might answer :)

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Amy is smart, and been with you, what 32 years? Im sure he understands a lot more than you think. Funny though. Salty just started saying some new stuff in the last week or two, contextually. Not as splendid as Amy's out burst for sure, but still.... I know if i ask him "Where's Amy?" he looks around, thats pretty funny to see.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Amy is smart, and been with you, what 32 years? Im sure he understands a lot more than you think. Funny though. Salty just started saying some new stuff in the last week or two, contextually. Not as splendid as Amy's out burst for sure, but still.... I know if i ask him "Where's Amy?" he looks around, thats pretty funny to see.

Crap Al..if I felt better we'd be there with you guys,
Just got back from cumbies and the kid behind the counter said "where's Amy??" lol

Jim

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I read a sci-fi story about the earth going through an area of the galaxy that increased human intelligence.
Can?t remember anything else about it.

Maybe something similar happening to our parrots.;)
Wes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There's a lot going on when two sentient beings share lives. Longtime married couples almost intuitively complete thoughts and sentences. Who is to say this cannot be shared among species until proven otherwise?

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Dr. Irene Pepperberg's studies with Alex and her other Greys have demonstrated how intelligent parrots are-- and Amy's cognitive speech is further proof of parrots' intelligence. I've often wished that studies like Dr. Pepperberg's would be done with other types of parrots. I'm sure that would show how smart they all are, from little budgies and parrotlets all the way up to the large macaws, and everybirdie in between. Even without formal studies, there are plenty of examples to be found here on the Forum-- like Amy. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It sometimes sounds old, but Welcome to the Wonderful World of Parrots and especially Amazons!!

I'm going with the we are traveling though a place in the Universe that our Parrots are amping up their minds! I kind of like that possibility as it explains so very much regarding our Parrots. Likely not having the same effects on Humans as it seems that most have shutdown and tuned-out. But that is a different story.

Amy, has a ton of things he is planning on telling you, when he is ready! Enjoy the special moments as they will just keep flowing!

Yes, they are that smart!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Some folks here might be thinking this is all tom foolery..Honestly,on Smokeys ashes,it is not.
Case in point..we just got back from Cumberland Farms,just about to get out of the car with him on my shoulder. All of a sudden the passenger door opens and an old coot (like a lot of us lol) slides in and sits down. I say "ummm...hey bud,you're in the wrong car" he looks at me,then Amy,and Amy says "Hello???" like in a supprised manor..The guy loos at us and says "holy crap! so sorry!" as he gets out he is holding Amy's carry-me-around perch,which was laying on the passenger seat, and says "I wondered what this is for"
Seriously...can't make this up!
Yanno?? If I had a go-pro none of this would have happened.

Jim

Last edited:

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
I can picture this happening and believe it. Thanks for the mental imagery here. Gave me a laugh picturing it!

Yup they are that smart and know what they are saying. Our DYH blows my mind everyday at the things he says and how so much is used in the proper context even at a young age.

The first time I realized he knew how to put words together was a few months ago when he was 5 months old just starting to try to speak words more than just human like sounds. I asked him where my eldest son was and he answered “up there” (I was lucky to have camera out when it happened because no one would believe it otherwise) And what he said he was totally right because my son was upstairs. We never taught him to say it so he must of picked it up. I was shocked at the response and glad I had recorded it. Seems like most of the things he says are things he picks up from listening to us. Stuff we try to teach just seems ignored, it’s the random things we aren’t trying he says.

I had seen a documentary about a bird rescue and the woman had a toddler learning to speak and was working with an African grey , kind of teaching the child to speak alongside the parrot and she found they were both learning together. I believe that’s what’s been going on in our house since we have a son thats almost 4 in speech therapy and often I can’t tell which one of them is saying what. When we are working on things the therapist gives us to do at home with our son, our feathered son is up on his playstand quietly listening.
I think parrots absorb everything rapidly like a toddler and try to figure us out more than we do them.

This week his new thing to say is tongue clicking sounds with “here boy, come here” when he wants my kids attention. If we had a male dog I’d think he was repeating it but our only dog is a female and the clicking sounds is how we call to our dog with “here girl”. We don’t do that sound to any of our parrots, just the dog. So he must have some idea how to put it together.

I hope our Mummer is like Amy when he’s in his 30’s! Amy sounds like a real character and a blast to take around! One of my newly realized joys in life is taking Mummer out for a drive and in whatever places he’s allowed in. He won’t speak to anyone when we go in anywhere but he loves to yell at cars when we’re at the light!

Your post made my day! Thanks for that!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I can picture this happening and believe it. Thanks for the mental imagery here. Gave me a laugh picturing it!

Yup they are that smart and know what they are saying. Our DYH blows my mind everyday at the things he says and how so much is used in the proper context even at a young age.

The first time I realized he knew how to put words together was a few months ago when he was 5 months old just starting to try to speak words more than just human like sounds. I asked him where my eldest son was and he answered “up there” (I was lucky to have camera out when it happened because no one would believe it otherwise) And what he said he was totally right because my son was upstairs. We never taught him to say it so he must of picked it up. I was shocked at the response and glad I had recorded it. Seems like most of the things he says are things he picks up from listening to us. Stuff we try to teach just seems ignored, it’s the random things we aren’t trying he says.

I had seen a documentary about a bird rescue and the woman had a toddler learning to speak and was working with an African grey , kind of teaching the child to speak alongside the parrot and she found they were both learning together. I believe that’s what’s been going on in our house since we have a son thats almost 4 in speech therapy and often I can’t tell which one of them is saying what. When we are working on things the therapist gives us to do at home with our son, our feathered son is up on his playstand quietly listening.
I think parrots absorb everything rapidly like a toddler and try to figure us out more than we do them.

This week his new thing to say is tongue clicking sounds with “here boy, come here” when he wants my kids attention. If we had a male dog I’d think he was repeating it but our only dog is a female and the clicking sounds is how we call to our dog with “here girl”. We don’t do that sound to any of our parrots, just the dog. So he must have some idea how to put it together.

I hope our Mummer is like Amy when he’s in his 30’s! Amy sounds like a real character and a blast to take around! One of my newly realized joys in life is taking Mummer out for a drive and in whatever places he’s allowed in. He won’t speak to anyone when we go in anywhere but he loves to yell at cars when we’re at the light!

Your post made my day! Thanks for that!
Amy has started talking to strangers,mostly HELLO or What'cha Doing? For some reason a young girl/woman voice get's him going,talking in what I call "Amazon Speak" saying/talking in a not-so-clear mumble with inflections in his voice,sometimes sounding like a question or making a statement. The girl's laugh which get him more animated..starting to freak me out he is :D

Jim

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Amy has started talking to strangers,mostly HELLO or What'cha Doing? For some reason a young girl/woman voice get's him going,talking in what I call "Amazon Speak" saying/talking in a not-so-clear mumble with inflections in his voice,sometimes sounding like a question or making a statement. The girl's laugh which get him more animated..starting to freak me out he is :D

Jim
I love their parroty mumbles! We have started to use a few of the mumble sounds ourselves in place of words. Seems like there’s a sense of emotion in those sounds we can’t capture with just our words alone. Parrots gotta educate us humans on how to improve our communication!

Most Reactions

Latest posts