Help! Mold

zdragon

Oct 28, 2019
Let me just get this out of the way: Yes, I know mold is bad. Yes, all of the birds are upstairs in our split level house. No, there is nowhere outside the house for them to go.

Ok, so my question is, how do I get rid of mold? I've heard vinegar is okay. Any specific instructions? From anyone who has had this issue before? I need home remedies as I do not trust 'outsiders' (handymen). Any and all information is welcome!

Thank you feathered family! :yellow1:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Is this a serious mold issue that needs professional treatment or like a little mold in the bathroom or around the windowsills?

We get small amounts of mold around our windows in the winter from moisture and I just hit it with straight vinegar, let that sit for an hour or so and then wipe away. If we ever had a major mold issue, I would consult the appropriate mold remediation experts on what exactly needed to be done, then consult my avian vet about how long my bird would need to be boarded for during/after any chemicals needed to be used. A major mold issue isn’t just going to resolve itself and must be addressed. Minor mold growth should be handled as you notice it happening to keep it from becoming a bigger issue.

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
A dehumidifier, depending on how bad the mold is, may need to remove drywall and etc and requires professional help.

Most Reactions