Help My albino bird Breathing with open mouth

M.Mughal

Jun 15, 2018
Hi Everyone i have a Female of Albino Lovebird which she is breathing mouth opened ...when she goes into box she stablize while when she came out and just fly for a second she goes heavy open mouth breating and when i try to catch her ahe fly here and there for 4 5 second she starting breating heavily with mouth wide open ....i have a video but cannont share it here because forum dont support ....i have alreasy used .... Oxytetracycline .....and Cipro x Amoxil combo but didnt get any betterment ....while in box sometimes she stops opening her mouth and look normal but just a little Fly and there u go ...dysepnic...so one on friend here suggest to use ventolin Syrup for her as he thought she is having a problem while breating ....so i ask everyone here plz help do using ventolin safe ...if not then what medications i can use .... because didnt have any access to nearby vets right now as the clinics near me are closed because of lockdown ...so have to home treat ....anyone ? One more thing i cannot see any nasal discharge .. clearly also its winter season so temps are low .... I am not shifting her to heated room as i am afraid she already heaving difficulty breathing heated rooms have low oxygen then outdoors ...while the temps around her remains around 14-18 c ....

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, very sorry your lovebird appears in respiratory distress after flying or when stressed. Ideally she would be diagnosed and treated by avian vet, and I understand Covid lockdowns severely curtail visitation. Is it possible to have phone or video consultation? In the absence of medical assistance, please carefully consider the use of medications - I realize you are doing your very best. None of us are veterinarians or techs, yet some meds carry a lower risk than others.

Best method to upload video is via YouTube or perhaps Vimeo. My best guess is your lovebird has some form of respiratory infection, and the cause may remain unknown without lab testing. Please see attached article for excellent summary of potential causes and helpful medications. https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/treatments-recommended-for-avian-respiratory-problems/

Wishing you luck and healing for your lovebird. Please keep us advised!

OP
M.Mughal

M.Mughal

Jun 15, 2018
Welcome, very sorry your lovebird appears in respiratory distress after flying or when stressed. Ideally she would be diagnosed and treated by avian vet, and I understand Covid lockdowns severely curtail visitation. Is it possible to have phone or video consultation? In the absence of medical assistance, please carefully consider the use of medications - I realize you are doing your very best. None of us are veterinarians or techs, yet some meds carry a lower risk than others.

Best method to upload video is via YouTube or perhaps Vimeo. My best guess is your lovebird has some form of respiratory infection, and the cause may remain unknown without lab testing. Please see attached article for excellent summary of potential causes and helpful medications. https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/treatments-recommended-for-avian-respiratory-problems/

Wishing you luck and healing for your lovebird. Please keep us advised!

Thanks brother for fast Replay. ..so I just uploaded 2 videos one in which she is Sitting inside the box and while second i which she just came out of box ...and hrdly fly for a second in both u can see ..

https://vimeo.com/485694276

https://vimeo.com/485702846

Here i just posted the links of both the videos uploaded on Vimeo ...if we ignor her mouth opening breating she seems fine playing around here and there
Rubbing her beak on wooden perch...not seems ill not fluffy seems fine the only problem is when she fly or work for some seconds he starting breating heavily ...while her eyes getting closed ..and it takes some time to stablize to came into position that u can see in videos ...anyway about calling i called diff vets most of them recommend antibiotics ...oxy m cipro but i have used them no effect ...one of them recommend Ventolin syrup (u can search on internet about its formulation) anyway heavent used that ...thatsway i am asking here if anyone can guide is it safe for Parrots ? Thanks once again:green:

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I see an egg, so egg binding is a possibility. This type of housing can lead to aspergillosis infections.
Or you could have air sac mites.
Low Vitamin D, or low Vitamin A
Yeast or other fungal over growth from antibiotic use
Warmth is helpful for all sick birds.
And cleaning the bottom trays, as aspergillosis or other nasties can be growing there.
A proper diet, including fresh vegetables, and check all feed for spoilage.
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-...,more broadly distributed systemic infections.

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Egg binding can be life threatening. You should go to an avian vet immediately. Feel her vent area if you can feel something hard in this area it’s probably an egg. The vet will give an injection of calcium to help the muscles contract. I believe they also give magnesium supplement to help muscles to relax to help release the egg. If you can’t make it the vet google egg binding in a chicken- I’ll try and find the article and post it. You need to do an epson salt bath. I used a bone pill (empty the entire capsule ) sprinkled magnesium pill, a teaspoon of brown sugar, teaspoon of apple sauce and two tablespoons of water and have the take bird little sips.(I’ve used a little medicine spoon and just dipped the tip of the beak in and I’ve used soaked Qtips and touched the tip of the beak- this is all done very gently). After I gave her some sips of this water I’d stick her in a warm epson salt bath until the bath started cooling and she went directly in a warmed paper towel a heating pad. It’s important to maintain warmth. I then lathered her vent in coconut oil in circular motion with NO pressure, the hope is some of the oil slips in. This happened to me twice. Both times I couldn’t make it to avian vet - we have one emergency hospital that has one avian special who isnt always available. In the one bird the egg just popped out as I lathered her vent area and she wasn’t breathing heavily. The second time this happened the bird was like your little lovebird and I had to guide the egg out or she would have died. I followed these steps for the second bird before I guided the egg out. I had a bird rescue help me over the phone. These are button quails who lay regularly. And they had a calcium deficiency. Oyster shells are hard for the body to absorb calcium. Eggs shells are the best source of calcium. I Now buy quail eggs and I’ll give half of the egg (shell and all). Have to be extremely careful not to crack the egg inside the bird. If you don’t have bone pills I’m thinking maybe you can grind a cuttle bone or egg shells into a powder for calcium.

After the egg was out I did supportive care ie heat and I was able to create an oxygen chamber type thing. (I borrowed someone’s oxygen to be able to give oxygen support) . I did the oxygen support for the bird that was gasping and breathing heavily. This also happened during a power outage. I lined the cage with a instant hand warmer. And I check through out the night to make sure she wasn’t too hot and I’d offer her drinks of the water and apple sauce. Wishing your bird a speedy recovery!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds hide illness, so the fact that you are seeing something serious enough to make her less stable means something is very wrong. Agreed with the comments about the egg-binding, as well as concerns about the woodchips.

I hope your baby pulls through and I am not trying to stress you out, but with birds, there is little time to act by the time you SEE the sickness.

If a vet tells you a recommendation over the phone (unless it is a life or death/choose now or die for sure) then I wouldn't trust them at all. Even the exotics vets that Noodles visited wouldn't prescribe meds without a culture or blood work to back it up. The certified avian vets (much better than the exotics vets, for most birds) would also not do that.

I know sometimes in a life-or-death situation, gambles are okay, but you need to figure out their perspective--- are they gambling because things are so bad or because they just mostly see dogs/cats and the occasional bird and therefore don't know THAT much about them in comparison.

I know vets (especially exotic, or, more importantly, avian vets, are hard to find in a lot of places). If you cannot do avian within a 3-4 hour commute, go to exotics (after researching...quickly, mind you). Even a general vet MIGHT be able to help a bird in an emergency (depending on the issue) but you would need to talk to them about their level of experience/expertise etc.

Last edited:
OP
M.Mughal

M.Mughal

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks everyone for the replay but that egg not from her per from another pair wich i recently gave to my czN and make the cage heated with a 100 watt ceramic heater ...anyway she is not egg bound as for avian vets there arent any expert but mostly are Normal vets cats and dogs type ... that's why i am asking everyone here ....as for cage i just finish clean it up after making the video so no worries ...now Antibiotics didnt work at all ...so It could be fungal Infections, ? And can i use fluconazole With antibiotics ? Plus one of the pet recommended using Ventolin for her it it safe to use ?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I’m glad your bird is not egg bound! If I were you I’d try calling around to see if any vet has bird experience or sees birds kinda regularly. Also I have you tried calling the individual who you got the bird from? Maybe they have advice and experience they can share or point you in the right direction. Is your bird still breathing heavily? What does her boo look like? Does she breath heavily just sitting in the cage? What do you use as liner or to catch the poop? In the photo it looks like wood chips-what kind of woood chips do you use?

Last edited:
OP
M.Mughal

M.Mughal

Jun 15, 2018
I’m glad your bird is not egg bound! If I were you I’d try calling around to see if any vet has bird experience or sees birds kinda regularly. Also I have you tried calling the individual who you got the bird from? Maybe they have advice and experience they can share or point you in the right direction. Is your bird still breathing heavily? What does her boo look like? Does she breath heavily just sitting in the cage? What do you use as liner or to catch the poop? In the photo it looks like wood chips-what kind of woood chips do you use?

Well there arent specific Avian vet right now i can Get ...And about the person from i get is a humble person and an old friend with around 10-12 years of exp in Love bird ...but he cant come here cuz be was corona Postive last month and the doctors havent dicharge him from Hospital ....and as i talked him on phone he says thay because bloodline of Albinos didnt as strong as black eyed birds so they can catch infections and other diseases easily the only medicine he recommended was cipro + amoxil..... another friend recommended using Ventolin syrup but i dont know whether it is safe or not ...can anyone help me with ventolin thing ....and for heavily breathing when he was sitting idle and i dont disturb her she remain calm opening mouth for Breathing but not heavily but stillmouth opening and when she sits in box she became more stable and something stops opening mouth but sometimes not mostly and for wooden chips i am using ordinary chips from vet store usually use for my Exi budgies for breeding there are the same

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She breaths easier when resting because she us not exerting herself. Any stress ir movement taxes her.

As far as this drug ventolin I have no idea. A short search on inhaler has causes death. She doesn't have asthma, she has a disease that is causing this, whether viral, bacterial, or fungal, or airsac mites, or ( other , possibly
fluid build up, mass) we don't know... since she is still alive, im thinking fungal ....
As a indoor breeding setup , less fresh air and sunshine, build up of mold , fungal. I worked at a bird Quarantine, it was indoors, and we ended up have an aspergillosis problem.. her symptoms seem like that, as the fungal as csn invade and block air sacks.
I'm sorry she is sick, and I know yiu are reaching out trying to find help. Its just do hard to help from a far, with a complex health issue. I wish I could help more. I hope you will share her story as we will learn from you.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Can you get oxygen? Maybe create an oxygen chamber? I ll look thru my bird medication and see if something is the same. Amoxicillin is one of meds that I remember. Can you get a stool sample done by a regular vet who also deals with birds? What does you birds poop look like? Is she still eating and drinking? Do you have supplemental heater for her?

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
I do not have too many experiences. Maybe the crop swab would be good, or adding iodine to support thyroid problems. Does not she have a bound egg?
I hope she will be recovered very soon, let us know.
Laurasea says about vitamine D... what is the best supplement? The overdosing causes problems with kidneys.... the synthethic bulbs for birds are maybe not such reliable, and catching and stressing her in the summer to put on balcony need not be good.
So?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thanks everyone for the replay but that egg not from her per from another pair wich i recently gave to my czN and make the cage heated with a 100 watt ceramic heater ...anyway she is not egg bound as for avian vets there arent any expert but mostly are Normal vets cats and dogs type ... that's why i am asking everyone here ....as for cage i just finish clean it up after making the video so no worries ...now Antibiotics didnt work at all ...so It could be fungal Infections, ? And can i use fluconazole With antibiotics ? Plus one of the pet recommended using Ventolin for her it it safe to use ?

Excellent videos! Glad you are able to source a variety of meds, the dilemma is matching the correct therapy to illness. Without lab testing it becomes a guessing game with hope of targeting the correct med. This is precisely what many non-avian vets do.

A few articles on bacterial and fungal infections:
https://www.dvm360.com/view/fungal-diseases-pet-birds-recognize-infection-early
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/aspergillosis-in-birds
https://www.wikihow.pet/Treat-Parrots-for-Bacterial-Infections
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/pet-birds/mycotic-diseases-of-pet-birds

Last link to the Merck Veterinary Manual may be of most importance if you choose to attempt use of various meds. Dosing extremely important for a small lovebird!

Scroll down a bit for Fluconazole: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/pharmacology/systemic-pharmacotherapeutics-of-the-integumentary-system/antifungals-for-integumentary-disease?query=fluconazole%205#v3330975

OP
M.Mughal

M.Mughal

Jun 15, 2018
Hi everyone thanks for your Concers there as for heater i have the temps remain between 22-26 right now With a digital thermostat and now after using Cipro for more than 10 days didnt get her anywhere near healing so i can conclude that it isnt a Bacterial infection as i am going to Treat Fungal infections with Fluconazole ...anyone can recommend dosage ? And about poop testing thats the main problems arise as there arent any Reliable Avian vets most vets are of Mammals Mostly Cats n dogs and also cattle ...beacause There arent many Birds keepers as compared to other animals thats why i am asking here most of these vets recommend using Antibiotics well i am already using them Today i went to a vent and he recommended using Tylosin(tylan) injection goes by name of Tylopen u can serach on google about it as its the same medicine i am using using for my Aseel cocks and pigeons for most of bacterial infections and with almost 90 percent of effectiveness almost after first dosage but i didn't knew about that to be used in Parrots so anyone knew about tylosin or tylopen same name for same medicine

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Dosing for Fluconazole, page 507. You'll have to determine weight and carefully compute dosage: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9780470376980.app1

More information about Fluconazole, page 463. http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

Suggested once daily for weeks or months. http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

All of the above may he helpful for decisions in the absence of veterinary care. None of us at PF are vets or vet techs and cannot diagnose nor treat any illnesses.

If fungal infection, the duration of medication is lengthy. I once had a cockatoo diagnosed with fungus, believe the course of meds was 4 to 6 weeks.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've been watching for an update...Hopefully she recovered??

Most Reactions

Latest posts