Sick lovebird. She can't open her beak/mouth

zana

Sep 14, 2020
My lovebird (3 years old) not been feeling well for several days. She is sleepy all the time. She has an appetite and want to eat, but it's hard to eat and drink water because she can't open her beak. I crushed (just a little) hagen hari pellets in one bowl and put in other bowl a water. My lovebird wets her beak and tries to ''byte''>eat pellets but she can't. Maybe she ate 5-10 granules for 30 minutes. What to do...how to feed her? Can't find any info when search for ''parrot can't open his beak/mouth''. Just two completely useless and unrelated google results.

I took her to the vet on Friday. The Vet told me to give her oxytetravit.
The vet told me that a stool sample should be taken, but the sample will be taken on monday because the lab is closed on saturday and sunday. Until then - Oxytetravit.

It hurts to see her sick and not be able to help.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My lovebird (3 years old) not been feeling well for several days. She is sleepy all the time. She has an appetite and want to eat, but it's hard to eat and drink water because she can't open her beak. I crushed (just a little) hagen hari pellets in one bowl and put in other bowl a water. My lovebird wets her beak and tries to ''byte''>eat pellets but she can't. Maybe she ate 5-10 granules for 30 minutes. What to do...how to feed her? Can't find any info when search for ''parrot can't open his beak/mouth''. Just two completely useless and unrelated google results.

I took her to the vet on Friday. The Vet told me to give her oxytetravit.
The vet told me that a stool sample should be taken, but the sample will be taken on monday because the lab is closed on saturday and sunday. Until then - Oxytetravit.

It hurts to see her sick and not be able to help.
I'm so sorry you're going through this, @zana! Are you able to get hold of any baby bird rearing formula at all? I'm not sure what brands might be available where you are but there are lots of good ones by Hagen/Hari, Passwell, Kaytee, Avione, and many others. You can feed it from a spoon, that's probably the most hygienic way to go in that you can just wash those up in hot soapy water whereas syringes are harder to keep clean. It'll probably be a messy way to feed but it might help you to get some nutrients and water into your lovebird. Or maybe you can put some of your Hari pellets into a blender with some water to make it easier to feed?

Hopefully some other members may have some ideas for you too. I hope your little one will be ok! 🙏 🙏 🙏

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Or maybe you can put some of your Hari pellets into a blender with some water to make it easier to feed?

Hopefully some other members may have some ideas for you too. I hope your little one will be ok! 🙏 🙏 🙏
I gave her hari pellets with warm water in her bowl, tried with spoon but she refused.
I put the water and food bowls next to each other. Only then she try to eat. She jump from onе bowl to the other every 5 seconds. She wet her beak in the water bowl then jump on the food bowl and trying with left or right side of her beak to bite/eat pellet. maybe because there is a space between upper and lower part of the beak.

It hurts to watch.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I gave her hari pellets with warm water in her bowl, tried with spoon but she refused.
I put the water and food bowls next to each other. Only then she try to eat. She jump from onе bowl to the other every 5 seconds. She wet her beak in the water bowl then jump on the food bowl and trying with left or right side of her beak to bite/eat pellet. maybe because there is a space between upper and lower part of the beak.

It hurts to watch.
I know, it's so hard to watch when they're sick! I would still try to get hold of some baby bird formula if possible though, because it's easier to digest and is nutritionally complete. I'm sorry you're going through this, it's very difficult when they can't tell us what's wrong :cry:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Need a second opinion? I hope this might help...
Most of us swear by our avian vets in the event of health concerns.
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
Link one - zero results.
Link two - three results.
There are just three certified avian vets in my country (Bulgaria) and zero in my city. Parrots are not popular at all.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zana

Sep 14, 2020
I gently tried to open her beak but she screamed. The Vet trimed her beak in friday, but my lovebird can't opened her beak since tuesday.
So...what could be the cause of this. What illness can do this?
Symptoms are:

1. Increased sleeping.
2. reduced vocalisation.
3. can't open her beak - maybe painful upper jaw.

The weird part:
1. she has an appetite.
2. When I touch her head or trying to clean her beak she become horny or something.
She lifts her butt up and spreads her wings. WTF?
Sorry for my english, but can't explain better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts