Help, my bird is Dumbo!!

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
OMG i dont know how I am going to handle this. Its the same panic i have for my 6 yr old to start losing his teeth! :p

Jerzey (green wing)is starting to so called "fly" from object to object as in wall, glass door, shelving. I was told to let him learn to fly before we clip the wings but how do you do this safely? we are petrified to do the park thing as my husband and I aren't ready to lose our new best friend who cost way over a grand in cash.

someone at the pet shop said tie some string to his leg as a leash so we dont lose him. but all i am picturing is the bird getting caught up in the string or rope during flight.

how is this done?

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Don't clip his wings just yet.
Somebody did that to Marigold and it has taken me a year to get her back in the air. And she is still my weakest flier with not much confidence.
It makes the wing and chest muscles very weak, and can cause them to be... fat.
I would not go for the string approach either.
Instead you could get a flight harness :)
As he's so young he will hopefully adjust to one quite easily :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
flight harness! as said above!
the string idea is idiotic!!!
as the string can cut circulation, damage skin or even break his bones in ankles if he takes of with enough lift

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I agree with the flight harness as well. They need to build that muscle from early on. Then you can clip him once he's learned how to fly.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Making you home safe for birds to fly involves covering the windows and removing things that would fall. The bedroom is a good place because the mattress will be there. Not to offend people who work in pet stores but sometimes their suggestions are just not the best for the bird. I would never tie a string to any part of my bird. The pet store person is the dumbo not the bird.

http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/bird_advice/is_it_safe_for_a_bird_to_fly_around_the_house_/378

Last edited:
OP
ticklemebink

ticklemebink

Mar 6, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Green wing macaw
yea i just looked at my husband l like the guy was crazy when he said "tie a string as a leash to his leg" lol
i have been wanting a harness but havent found one around. i will keep looking.
thank you everyone, today his habit is landing on my head and actually landed on my arm 1 time on accident so im not getting my hopes up just yet :p

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Google. There everywhere. I found all mine in seconds. Took a week to ship. And none of my birds where there's. Were in training still. But all my birds are over or almost 2 years of age. So it's difficult. But with a baby there more tollarable at such a young age. Essp macaws. Iv heard amazon bites have more pressure. But those silly giants aren fooling me lol. I actually might be getting 2 sometime next week. My first foster. Or I might keep em idk.

But the harness. I'd suggest this. I'm not even gonna comment on the string idea. Enough said already.
Everyone I know with a macaw has one and it's amazing to watch fly with it as well never have to worry about your fid leaving you.

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots
Violet - Black Masked Lovebird hatch date 2-26-11

Jessie - B&G Macaw hatch date 4-3-11
I'm glad I read this trend! I have not gotten my B&G yet but I have seen advertisements for the harnesses and to watch your bird do something SO NATURAL and healthy for them is a gift in itself! It was amazing seeing such huge birds flying so happily. I'm not pro wing clipping never have been I like my birds to be able to fly around if they would like to. To each is own though. I'm totally 100% pro harness! Maybe someone has a preference as to what "type" of flying harness as there are many different ones out there. Best of luck to you and your baby!

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots
Violet - Black Masked Lovebird hatch date 2-26-11

Jessie - B&G Macaw hatch date 4-3-11
So after reading a bit I would go with the "AVIATOR" harness here is one site that has it... and it has all sizes and tells you what birds fit in which size!
Aviator Harnesses

Most Reactions