HELP! MY Budgie Ate Cannabis!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Last night I caught my beloved budgie Rocky eating a cannabis bud that had fallen on the floor. I obviously took it away from her. She was her normal self until I woke up this morning. She was sitting all fluffed up on her perch and unsteady on her feet. I didn't put two and two together at first. I thought she was suddenly sick until I remembered that she ate cannabis the evening before.
I took her out and held her for a short while and put her in the kitchen table where she like to hang out in the morning. I offered her some food and water and she eagerly ate and drank (munchies?) She managed to fly back to her cage but is sitting on her perch all fluffed up and unsteady. It's Sunday and no vets are open.
I'm very upset. Is my baby going to die?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I donā€™t know the effect of cannabis on a little bird, or any bird, and I donā€™t want to say wait until tomorrow to get an appointment either.

How much did she eat? And is she eating/drinking normal amounts?

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I donā€™t know the effect of cannabis on a little bird, or any bird, and I donā€™t want to say wait until tomorrow to get an appointment either.

It's hard to say how much she actually ate but I caught her chewing on a small bud. She couldn't have eaten a lot but I'm sure it wouldn't take much. She is definitely eating and drinking, maybe to excess. Her poops are pretty wet but not diarrheal (a lot of urine). She can fly but she sits all fluffed and unsteady. Her spunky personality gone. I can't get her to a vet on a Sunday. There isn't an avian vet anywhere here in Maine on a Sunday.
When I woke up this morning and saw her looking puffed up and unsteady, at first I thought she had suddenly gotten sick (perfectly fine last night) but then I remembered the week and thought "oh God, she's stoned"! I feel so horrible for her! I don't use cannabis because I hate the effect but my husband smokes before bedtime to sleep better.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
All Iā€™d can recommend until tomorrow is keeping her warm, giving her anything sheā€™ll eat lots of, and maybe moving her to a small travel cage and move her to a quiet room.

Keep us updated on her condition!

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
All Iā€™d can recommend until tomorrow is keeping her warm, giving her anything sheā€™ll eat lots of, and maybe moving her to a small travel cage and move her to a quiet room.

Keep us updated on her condition!
I pray she recovers! She's my baby and I'll be devastated if she doesn't make it.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
I Will have the church pray for you this morning! Along with another member named Max. We are ALL praying!!!

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I Will have the church pray for you this morning! Along with another member named Max. We are ALL praying!!!
We had to go to work at 8am but just came home to check in Rocky at 11:30am and she is doing better. She's still very quiet and drowsy but less wobbly. She has normal poop and eating normally. I think she's coming out of it, thank God! I love my baby Rocky so much. Thank you for your advice and prayers! I'd never forgive myself if my baby bird had died. We must watch her more carefully when she's walking around on the floor pecking at things.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I tried googling it and it seems like thereā€™s no definitive answer on what cannaboids do to parrots other than ā€œdonā€™t do it on purposeā€. However, one guy on Reddit claimed he lets his parrots eat the plants. Iā€™d take that with a massive grain of salt.

I am so glad to hear Rocky is feeling better. I hope they make a full recovery! I suspect itā€™s not as bad for them as alcohol or truly toxic things like avocado, but because they are so small the effects of consuming it are going to be significantly magnified.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I tried googling it and it seems like thereā€™s no definitive answer on what cannaboids do to parrots other than ā€œdonā€™t do it on purposeā€. However, one guy on Reddit claimed he lets his parrots eat the plants. Iā€™d take that with a massive grain of salt.

I am so glad to hear Rocky is feeling better. I hope they make a full recovery! I suspect itā€™s not as bad for them as alcohol or truly toxic things like avocado, but because they are so small the effects of consuming it are going to be significantly magnified.
And better to have eaten it than be exposed to the smoke. Her little lungs couldn't handle that. I thinks she's going to be okay but it was a real scare!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)

I could believe it. Very different but I recently read a story about a man who rescued a dog from a family that would force the dog to drink large amounts of wine daily to the point the dog had a medical and mental dependence on alcohol. The new owner was able to wean him off after a few months with help from vets thankfully from the sounds of it the dog is doing well. In short alcohol is typically very dangerous for dogs yet he was able to survive (though I doubt without physical damage to his liver and such). Sometimes things that are typically dangerous for animals isn't as dangerous with certain individuals. Kind of how humans have varying dosage needs when it comes to medication. We are all slightly different.

I think it would also vary greatly on the strain of cannabis. Isn't hemp a form of cannabis and that is completely safe for birds?

This is not to promote intentionally feed marijuana to animals, just to start a conversation on how its not always immediately lethal. Please keep cannabis and alcohol away from your beloved pets!

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I could believe it. Very different but I recently read a story about a man who rescued a dog from a family that would force the dog to drink large amounts of wine daily to the point the dog had a medical and mental dependence on alcohol. The new owner was able to wean him off after a few months with help from vets thankfully from the sounds of it the dog is doing well. In short alcohol is typically very dangerous for dogs yet he was able to survive (though I doubt without physical damage to his liver and such). Sometimes things that are typically dangerous for animals isn't as dangerous with certain individuals. Kind of how humans have varying dosage needs when it comes to medication. We are all slightly different.

I think it would also vary greatly on the strain of cannabis. Isn't hemp a form of cannabis and that is completely safe for birds?

This is not to promote intentionally feed marijuana to animals, just to start a conversation on how its not always immediately lethal. Please keep cannabis and alcohol away from your beloved pets!
Poor Rocky was definitely affected by eating some. I thought I was going to lose her. She's not completely over it yet but is better. People are crazy to deliberately intoxicate their animals.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Poor Rocky was definitely affected by eating some. I thought I was going to lose her. She's not completely over it yet but is better. People are crazy to deliberately intoxicate their animals.
Poor girl, I'm glad to hear she's feeling better. Make sure she's getting a lot of water to help flush her systems. Feeding fruit (or veggies) with high water content could help.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So sorry @DonnaBudgie but I'm glad to hear she is doing better. I know how much you love Rocky and can only imagine how worried you were. Are you still planning on taking her for a vet check just to be safe? If it were me I would just for peace for mind. How awful to have something like this happen when vets are closed. I am VERY fortunate to live close to an avian vet practice with emergency services.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's hard to say how much she actually ate but I caught her chewing on a small bud. She couldn't have eaten a lot but I'm sure it wouldn't take much. She is definitely eating and drinking, maybe to excess. Her poops are pretty wet but not diarrheal (a lot of urine). She can fly but she sits all fluffed and unsteady. Her spunky personality gone. I can't get her to a vet on a Sunday. There isn't an avian vet anywhere here in Maine on a Sunday.
When I woke up this morning and saw her looking puffed up and unsteady, at first I thought she had suddenly gotten sick (perfectly fine last night) but then I remembered the week and thought "oh God, she's stoned"! I feel so horrible for her! I don't use cannabis because I hate the effect but my husband smokes before bedtime to sleep better.
L
So sorry @DonnaBudgie but I'm glad to hear she is doing better. I know how much you love Rocky and can only imagine how worried you were. Are you still planning on taking her for a vet check just to be safe? If it were me I would just for peace for mind. How awful to have something like this happen when vets are closed. I am VERY fortunate to live close to an avian vet practice with emergency services.
Checked on Rocky again at 3:30pm and she was sleeping but I woke her up to see how she was. She looks more alert but a bit dazed. She flew over to the other birds' cage for a short visit. I put her back in her cage and she went back to sleep. I think she's going to be sleeping this off for a couple days but is definitely improving. I'll call and try to get her in to see the vet tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the support. I thought I was going to lose my baby!

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
L

Checked on Rocky again at 3:30pm and she was sleeping but I woke her up to see how she was. She looks more alert but a bit dazed. She flew over to the other birds' cage for a short visit. I put her back in her cage and she went back to sleep. I think she's going to be sleeping this off for a couple days but is definitely improving. I'll call and try to get her in to see the vet tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the support. I thought I was going to lose my baby!
It's been 13 hours now since I noticed Rocky wasn't herself. She's better but still sluggish and a bit vacant looking. She came out of her cage this evening but she still isn't her usual self and I'm worried about her. If she's not better in the morning I'm going to try to get her in to see the vet.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How is Rocky today?
I've been checking on her (coming home from work and going back) and she is coming back to normal but is still a bit "slow". She took a bath this morning and she's eating normally but sleeping more than usual. I'm off tomorrow until 3pm so if I need to take her in I can but I don't think it will be necessary.

OP
DonnaBudgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I've been checking on her (coming home from work and going back) and she is coming back to normal but is still a bit "slow". She took a bath this morning and she's eating normally but sleeping more than usual. I'm off tomorrow until 3pm so if I need to take her in I can but I don't think it will be necessary.
I just got home from work after a 12 hour day and Rocky is back to her usual self, thank God! She's flying around, being annoying, trying to eat our dinner, visiting with the other budgies, beating up her toys and tossing them off her cage, and just being Rocky!
We are going to be much more careful and watch her more closely (especially in the floor) to make sure she doesn't get into things that could harm her. Birds are so small, even big birds, and things like weed, alcohol and toxins can affect them profoundly. Don't take chances! I feel lucky she didn't die. Thanks for your support, my PF friends!

Charlie71

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
parakeet

New to pet world of birds but have had pets and been outdoors all my life. Animals fairly smart about what they eat and drink except for dogs, to much breeding I think. Your bird will be ok but you should watch a stray bud laying around, bird might of liked now looking for. LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts