HELP! my cockatoo chewed a glow stick

Storm278

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Sulphur-crested cockatoo
Hi all
I just discovered that my Sulphur-crested cockatoo somehow got a hold of a glowstick and chewed on it, its the middle of the night and there isn't any Vets open near me and I don't know what I can do? does anyone have any advice? he doesn't appear to be sick and is happy enough and eating fine, but I'm extremely worried.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Get him to a vet ASAP. It is very toxic, even for humans. You can check for an exotic vet if there is no avian vet.

Did he chew a lot of it? Or only a little bit? If he ingested some of it I'd be concerned.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums ❤️

I'd be worried too, since if I remember right glow sticks are a glass tube with hydrogen peroxide and an outer plastic tube with an alcohol type chemical and dye. Hopefully your cockatoo didn't actually ingest any and only got a teeny bit on his tongue! I would call a vet right away in the morning. Maybe you could try calling the vets around just in case any of them have a message with a 24 hour number to call? My local vets have messages on their voicemail with who to call for after hours emergencies and sometimes they can give first aid advice over the phone.

Hang in there, hopefully you'll get him seen and he keeps on being his cheery self ❤️

Or - does your country have a national pet poison hotline? In the US we have the ASPCS poison hotline ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435).

OP
Storm278

Storm278

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Sulphur-crested cockatoo
Get him to a vet ASAP. It is very toxic, even for humans. You can check for an exotic vet if there is no avian vet.

Did he chew a lot of it? Or only a little bit? If he ingested some of it I'd be concerned.
he only put afew holes in it then seems to have lost interest, I don't know that he ate very much if any of it because most of the liquid is intact still and he has a very healthy appetite still. I'm talking to his avian vet first thing in the morning when they open, I live in a remote area and there arn't alot of options

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think just keep an eye on him. If his condition worsens, contact your vet.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good luck, hope he is OK. Cockatoos are not very bright ( hence the interest in glowsticks) 😵‍💫

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Good luck, hope he is OK. Cockatoos are not very bright ( hence the interest in glowsticks) 😵‍💫

😝

I dunno, a Moluccan at my volunteer shift is the most deviously brilliant mind I've come across in a long time! He creates traps.....for me, the newbie..... :) I haven't outwitted him yet!

OP
Storm278

Storm278

Aug 11, 2022
Parrots
Sulphur-crested cockatoo
***UPDATE*** Thankyou everyone who commented! After we consulted the avian vet it appears he didn’t eat any of the glow stick, The avian vet said that flushing can be performed up to 2 hours after they eat something bad, after this point it is difficult to deal with. We are still watching him closely for any further symptoms but so far he has been a healthy and happy boy and seems to enjoy all the extra attention. I will be watching him much more carefully from now on to ensure he doesn’t thieve things that are dangerous for him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts