HELP needed for GCC that has become aggressive to my 7 year old som

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
In this situation, because it involves your child being bitten, I would highly recommend you get your conure's wings clipped. The way you describe it, he flies to and bites him. Sounds like its time for an attitude adjustment for your little bird who wants to be boss!

Take his ability to get to your child away and his attitude WILL change.
im very against that please dont clip the only reason to clip is when an avian vet says so

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hi again,
So over a year later, our bird has become unmanageable. He will fly and attack my kids given any chance and today he started biting me when I was changing his water. He seriously hurt my daughter a few weeks ago.

The kids went back to school two days a week so his only cage free time is now Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'm around the house.

I feel terrible for him, I'm at the point where I think he should be with someone without kids.

Or we could get another Conure for him so he's not lonely in his cage. I can barely stand the though of him being in a cage the rest of his life.

My kids are not mean, they love animals and he sees them as a threat because they're wild and unpredictable, like kids are when they're playing.

My son is very much against finding him a new home but he also can't spend any time with him without getting bitten, he can't clean his cage or even feed him.

I don't think its fair to the bird.

I wish the person who bought him this bird would have researched it more. Our local bird store guy suggested that conures are not appropriate pets for kids and I now totally agree.

I really don't think birds should be in cages in general.

Help!
its a known fact that conures are not suitaable for kids i would definatly rehome your gcc to someone that doesnt have kids and has time to interact with him

OP
A

Aerial

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you all. I did take him to the area bird expert (1.5 hour drive) to get advice and have his wings clipped a few months ago. Now they're growing out again and I have to decide what to do, again. He's at the point where clipped or not he can't be out of the cage when the kids are home so it almost doesn't matter. The parrot expert basically said it's hopeless, he may change over the years as the kids grow up and aren't so wild but also possibly not.

I sneak him upstairs each night with me to the bathtub and that's our only time together without the cage except the two days the kids are at school. I guess that's better than all cage time.

He's so sweet with me usually, after he bit me I decided instead of getting mad (after I did get mad and posted on this forum!) I would be super sweet and smother him with love and that really worked, he was so sweet last night. I can also handle a hard bite, unlike the kids.

I'm going to keep trying. It seems like many of us get these birds that we have no business having and then they have all the stress of being in a bad situation or the stress of re-homing.

I will also stay open to finding him a better home if possible. Poor birds! I hate this.

Although it's too late for us, I'm glad this forum is here to hopefully prevent people from getting birds they shouldn't have.

Thank you all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts