Help Please - CAG will not eat correctly

Iko

Nov 30, 2021
Parrots
CAG. GCC. Cockatiel
I am looking for some help with my Congo African gray. I am struggling to get her to eat much of anythingā€¦

My apologies about the length of this post but I feel her back story might be helpful in solving this.

I have had my CAG for about 2.5 months now. She was transported up from Kentucky to Maine, she is approximately 7 or 8 years old. She came to me on a seed diet (some unknow mix that has seeds, peanuts in the shell, and dried fruit) She more or less converted herself over to natural zupreem pellets within a few weeks without any issue (she LOVED them) she liked to drop them in her water to make soup. I was also attempting to get her to eat chop without much success.

About November 9th she was acting a bit off and didnā€™t seem to be making as much ā€œsoupā€. By Nov. 11th she was really sick. She was sinking... best way I can describe it as her head was very heavy, she would hang her head way below her feet catch herself sit back upright and repeat the process. By this point she was completely off her food and wouldnā€™t eat anything. She never fell off her perch but I thought she wouldnā€™t make it through the night. On November 12th I was able to get her into the only avian vet around. She had blood work and a poop testā€¦ her results came back that she was anemic. Vet wasnā€™t sure why, so they gave her fluids along with an iron shot and a shot of B vitamins. They also put her on 2 weeks of Doxycyline Monohydrate, and said whatever she will eat give it to her.

In an attempt to not have to towel her and destroy the relationship we had built. I opted to give her her meds in toast, as I knew she would eat the toast and getting the meds in her somehow was the most important thingā€¦.

During this time, I was also cooking / fixing different things for her to try everydayā€¦

So farā€¦.

She will not eat: eggs (cooked all the ways), beans, peas, kale, broccoli, apples, pears, berries, spinach, pine nuts, almonds, pasta, oatmeal cooked and uncooked, baby foods of all types, baby puffs, smoothies, juicesā€¦ Iā€™ve made 3 different types of bird breadā€¦she will also not touch Zupreem natural pellets (both large and small), Zupreme nut blend, we picked up some Mazuri pellets yesterday and nopeā€¦ (I was hoping it was just the Zupreme she didnā€™t likeā€¦) Pellets have been offered hard as well as soft with and without extra waterā€¦ I also got some nutra-berries yesterday and she wants nothing to do with themā€¦

She will eat: Toast (whole wheat per the vet), Cheez-it crackers, sometimes she will eat a plain cheerio, peanuts, walnutsā€¦

She has now finished her meds and doesnā€™t ā€œsinkā€. she is however still sleeping in a weird position balanced between perches with her head propped upā€¦.

I am at a loss ā€“ I donā€™t know what else to tryā€¦. I know she needs to eat healthierā€¦

Is she just being a Diva? Should she go back to the vet? Is there something else I should offer her? Any help, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be very helpful and much appreciated!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would get in her for a re check, sometimes medicine needs to be given longer. Or different meds.. I would be weight check daily.

Chronic heavy metal poisoning is possible, might need x-ray and blood work to check that

I would try offering baby burd formula. Complete nutrition, and support sick burds in addition to what are eating

And you can try offering veggies this way, it usually will at least tempt them to destroy them, and start getting them use to textures. Use a millet holder, burd skewers, or something to suspend them at head or chest height
20211130_104552.jpg

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I would absolutely go back to the vet, or at very least, call and talk with them for ideas. There's clearly something going on. Parrots are prey animals, so they'll hide illness until they can't any longer. If she's showing any kind of symptoms, she's very unwell, and weak. She needs to eat, so for the short term keep offering anything she'll take. Being sick and just maintaining body temperature burns a tremendous amount of calories, and she needs everything she can get.

Curious what vet practice you're using. I'm in Maine also, so I know choices are quite limited, especially as you get further north.

Last edited:
OP
I

Iko

Nov 30, 2021
Parrots
CAG. GCC. Cockatiel
Thank you both!
I have tried the suggestion of baby bird food with no luck. I have several kabobs on the way so hopefully she will at least play with her foodā€¦
In an attempt to try every option I did give her some seed mixā€¦ she ate every last seed minus the little pellets.
I have reached back out to the vet (river road) explaining everything and she believes at this point is playing the diva card. So her suggestion is to continue to give her a seed based diet (which would be better for her then toast) get her back on track and attempt to covert her to pellets again in a few months. (Of course keeping a very close eye on her in the process. )

I have yet to start researching the best seed diet (if there is such a thing) Do either of you have a suggestion? I did pick up about a pound of Higgins from the local shop but that was an impulse buy.
Thanks again!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Everyone has preferences on the subject, so take it for what it's worth. I like Higgins California Blend, mostly because it doesn't have peanuts or sunflower seeds, but again, right now it's important to feed something she'll eat. Get her stable, and work on converting later, and very slowly. In the meantime, keep offering other things, fresh veggies and such. She's probably going to thumb her nose st it for a while, but eventually might start trying some.

Reactions: Iko

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You definitely do not it want to starve them , and some will if not given seeds.

All of mine came to me as seed esters only except pets store bird that was pellets only. They all still get seeds but absolutely love their veggies. They come running when I put them out.

Part of that is probably flock learning from each other. So play video of African greys eating veggies fir her, why not? And of course make a plate and eat them together

Reactions: Iko

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I would get in her for a re check, sometimes medicine needs to be given longer. Or different meds.. I would be weight check daily.

Chronic heavy metal poisoning is possible, might need x-ray and blood work to check that

I would try offering baby burd formula. Complete nutrition, and support sick burds in addition to what are eating

And you can try offering veggies this way, it usually will at least tempt them to destroy them, and start getting them use to textures. Use a millet holder, burd skewers, or something to suspend them at head or chest height
View attachment 32607
I would take the bird to the vet--pronto. Go in on an emergency basis, if need be. You may very well have to pay extra just to walk in the door with your pet, but it's worth it, especially if it means saving your pet's life. All the best of luck, and keep us all posted.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I am looking for some help with my Congo African gray. I am struggling to get her to eat much of anythingā€¦

My apologies about the length of this post but I feel her back story might be helpful in solving this.

I have had my CAG for about 2.5 months now. She was transported up from Kentucky to Maine, she is approximately 7 or 8 years old. She came to me on a seed diet (some unknow mix that has seeds, peanuts in the shell, and dried fruit) She more or less converted herself over to natural zupreem pellets within a few weeks without any issue (she LOVED them) she liked to drop them in her water to make soup. I was also attempting to get her to eat chop without much success.

About November 9th she was acting a bit off and didnā€™t seem to be making as much ā€œsoupā€. By Nov. 11th she was really sick. She was sinking... best way I can describe it as her head was very heavy, she would hang her head way below her feet catch herself sit back upright and repeat the process. By this point she was completely off her food and wouldnā€™t eat anything. She never fell off her perch but I thought she wouldnā€™t make it through the night. On November 12th I was able to get her into the only avian vet around. She had blood work and a poop testā€¦ her results came back that she was anemic. Vet wasnā€™t sure why, so they gave her fluids along with an iron shot and a shot of B vitamins. They also put her on 2 weeks of Doxycyline Monohydrate, and said whatever she will eat give it to her.

In an attempt to not have to towel her and destroy the relationship we had built. I opted to give her her meds in toast, as I knew she would eat the toast and getting the meds in her somehow was the most important thingā€¦.

During this time, I was also cooking / fixing different things for her to try everydayā€¦

So farā€¦.

She will not eat: eggs (cooked all the ways), beans, peas, kale, broccoli, apples, pears, berries, spinach, pine nuts, almonds, pasta, oatmeal cooked and uncooked, baby foods of all types, baby puffs, smoothies, juicesā€¦ Iā€™ve made 3 different types of bird breadā€¦she will also not touch Zupreem natural pellets (both large and small), Zupreme nut blend, we picked up some Mazuri pellets yesterday and nopeā€¦ (I was hoping it was just the Zupreme she didnā€™t likeā€¦) Pellets have been offered hard as well as soft with and without extra waterā€¦ I also got some nutra-berries yesterday and she wants nothing to do with themā€¦

She will eat: Toast (whole wheat per the vet), Cheez-it crackers, sometimes she will eat a plain cheerio, peanuts, walnutsā€¦

She has now finished her meds and doesnā€™t ā€œsinkā€. she is however still sleeping in a weird position balanced between perches with her head propped upā€¦.

I am at a loss ā€“ I donā€™t know what else to tryā€¦. I know she needs to eat healthierā€¦

Is she just being a Diva? Should she go back to the vet? Is there something else I should offer her? Any help, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. would be very helpful and much appreciated!!!
I'd take her to the vet, even if you have to go in on an emergency basis and pay extra to walk in the door with your pet. It could definitely spell the difference between life and death for your bird.

Most Reactions