Help with bar sizing on a cage please

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
A long story short, one of my clients has a beautiful little budgie that's in its cage all the time. It's a sweet little thing. But it's cage is tiny with only 2 toys and wooden dowls for perches. I'm looking at getting a new cage and offering it her as a "I bought this but it's too small for albie" kinda thing so she doesn't feel like I'm accusing her of being a bad birdie owner.

But I dont want to get one where the spacing is too wide. Any suggestions please?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ò€œScreeҀ� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Aw, such a nice thing to do for your client! I’ve heard that no greater than 1/2” bar spacing for budgies. They are such adorable little birds :)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
They are adorable. She doesn't get him out and I feel so sorry for him being stuck in this dinky little cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The approach that we use is to place you hand near the Parrot's head and determine the Parrots head size (between the eyes) compared to the size of your knuckles. The goal is to get the bar spacing smaller than that distance.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I commend your plan!

I think 1/2 inch is the recommendation for budgies. Mine are in a cage with official spacing of 5/8 and it works great for them (I think it is slightly closer however), but certainly Nothing Wider than 5/8 for budgies.

(Also take into account, where will your friend place the cage? Consider its footprint so she does not reject it and will actually use it. Also, the bigger the cage-door, the easier it will be for her to clean inside it, and therefore the more desirable. )

Most Reactions

Latest posts