Help with new budgie!

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
Hello! So I'm just inquiring about this hand fed english budgie my sister recently purchased. He is 4 months old. I just have a few questions

-he steps up pretty good, but he is super flighty about basically everything. Its been about 3 weeks now since we got him but he still is very dormant. He doesn't really move at all in his cage except to go to his food. Is this just something that might happen or is it worrying?

-Hes been really unpredictable. We can take him out of the cage in front of the door and he will sit seemingly fine for a bit, but then out of the blue glide off our finger and go into panic mode. We have been using millet to try to comfort but it's not seeming to help much.

-He came clipped, but we were wondering if the way his tail is from the clip?

Also he has no name so any name suggestions would be great :)
f4d79a2e0d00294f1e9401cb00e62413.jpg
df2376c523fa06e683ea4e5112837ac3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't know anything about budgies, but welcome back! Still have contact with Sammy's family?

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
I don't know anything about budgies, but welcome back! Still have contact with Sammy's family?
Thank you!! Absolutely. I receive pics and videos all the time of the little devil bird. I plan to visit them this summer [emoji16] I'm excited!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Here's a recent picture of him [emoji16] plus me and his new parronts have gained such a great and unprecedented relationship. They're like my second parents LOL
eeec00292c49cd56bd66380dcab94854.jpg

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
He is so beautiful! Sorry but he is older than 6 months old. In age of 4 months the cere isn't blue yet
The tail seems to be destroyed, nobody clip it

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Hello! So I'm just inquiring about this hand fed english budgie my sister recently purchased. He is 4 months old. I just have a few questions

-he steps up pretty good, but he is super flighty about basically everything. Its been about 3 weeks now since we got him but he still is very dormant. He doesn't really move at all in his cage except to go to his food. Is this just something that might happen or is it worrying?

-Hes been really unpredictable. We can take him out of the cage in front of the door and he will sit seemingly fine for a bit, but then out of the blue glide off our finger and go into panic mode. We have been using millet to try to comfort but it's not seeming to help much.

-He came clipped, but we were wondering if the way his tail is from the clip?

Also he has no name so any name suggestions would be great :)
f4d79a2e0d00294f1e9401cb00e62413.jpg
df2376c523fa06e683ea4e5112837ac3.jpg

Such a fantastic Budgie. What a pity his tail is not there! His markings and spots are close to perfect.
Are you sure he is an English Budgie? He is probably a hybrid between English and normal budgies.
Amazing beauty. What kind of a name are you looking for?

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
he has the body of a english budgie but the head of a normal budgie like roza said he is defo older then 6 months one thing i need you to know about english budgies is that they dont live as long as normal budgies that is because they have been inbred to much i would advice you start right away with the best and healtiest diet you can get because this type gets liver diseases faster then the normal budgies so keep him wel exercised every day the breeder you got him from should know better by clipping him so short theres really no need in clipping birds you can tame easiliy without doing that however since hes already around 6 months old taming and learing would be a bit harder then when you purchase or get a much younger budgie . dont worry thought i tamed wild budgies myself it is possible i have a budgie who looks a bit like him and i named him blue

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Here's a recent picture of him [emoji16] plus me and his new parronts have gained such a great and unprecedented relationship. They're like my second parents LOL
eeec00292c49cd56bd66380dcab94854.jpg

He's really cute and full of personality. Thanks for sharing the pic!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
"Its been about 3 weeks now since we got him but he still is very dormant. He doesn't really move at all in his cage except to go to his food. Is this just something that might happen or is it worrying?"

^ Try not to think of this a dominance-- birds aren't really "dominant" (that's sort of a myth that old-school bird people helped to spread). They move in slow motion so you really want to build trust and over time, that will be what changes behavior. Don't push him to do things like step up etc until he is ready. If you push the issue or ignore their cues, you will end up scaring your bird and seeing more undesirable behaviors. I will try to find a thread on building trust-- I know there is one around here...Basically you want to focus on keeping interactions positive and low-stress. Pair yourself with things the bird likes---if he will take food from your hand (treats) then that is already a sign of trust, but if he is skittish when you offer, don't press the issue. Just let him see you put the treat in the cage.

That tail looks pretty odd---does he over-preen it? It doesn't look clipped...I wonder if another bird went after it or something?

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
"Its been about 3 weeks now since we got him but he still is very dormant. He doesn't really move at all in his cage except to go to his food. Is this just something that might happen or is it worrying?"

^ Try not to think of this a dominance-- birds aren't really "dominant" (that's sort of a myth that old-school bird people helped to spread). They move in slow motion so you really want to build trust and over time, that will be what changes behavior. Don't push him to do things like step up etc until he is ready. If you push the issue or ignore their cues, you will end up scaring your bird and seeing more undesirable behaviors. I will try to find a thread on building trust-- I know there is one around here...Basically you want to focus on keeping interactions positive and low-stress. Pair yourself with things the bird likes---if he will take food from your hand (treats) then that is already a sign of trust, but if he is skittish when you offer, don't press the issue. Just let him see you put the treat in the cage.

That tail looks pretty odd---does he over-preen it? It doesn't look clipped...I wonder if another bird went after it or something?
Firstly, thank you all for the replies! Much appreciated :)

We called them today and they insisted that he was both an English budgie and 4 months old. They did however say that the tail was not from a clip but was caused by something else, though they didn't specify.

Also I didn't mention dominance, just that he was acting dormant. Like he's not really doing much at all. But he isn't scared of our hands at all, even up close to his body. This is probably because he was handfed. He steps up very easily now, and will sit on our finger for as long as we won't move too close to the door. He will take millet from hand right away, and we have been feeding him some millet every time we handle him at any capacity. Its just a matter of why he hasn't really been exploring his cage and why he seems okay being out of the cage for a moment but will randomly flee. No visible warning signs beforehand.

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
We called them today and they insisted that he was both an English budgie and 4 months old. They did however say that the tail was not from a clip but was caused by something else, though they didn't specify.

A

Hi Glitch Town

Nice signature at the end of your post. They may say he is an English Budgerigar but he looks like a Classical Budgerigar

Check the photographs of how English Budgies look from above link and compare him to your bird. I don't see any resemblance.

You have got a really beautiful bird with a good head, superb plumage and the cheek spots of the necklace beautifully placed.

:blue2::blue2::blue2:

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots

A

Hi Glitch Town

Nice signature at the end of your post. They may say he is an English Budgerigar but he looks like a Classical Budgerigar

Check the photographs of how English Budgies look from above link and compare him to your bird. I don't see any resemblance.

You have got a really beautiful bird with a good head, superb plumage and the cheek spots of the necklace beautifully placed.

:blue2::blue2::blue2:
Oh, yeah it definitely doesn't add up. They didn't really even seem to check anything when we asked them about it.. either they lied to sell him better (though I don't see why) or he's a mix, but I've not seen any of those before. Regardless, at the end of the day, we still love him so much :)

And, thanks. You helped me catch a typo i had made in the signature as well LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts