Help with Orphan

christinalea

Feb 15, 2018
Hi! On Tuesday, my daughter spotted this bird near the door of Chick fil A, and it ended up hopping down the sidewalk to our car as I was ordering...and then when I opened my door, it hopped right on my hand and the rest is history. Weā€™ve contacted all of the shelters and lost pet websites, and have an appointment with an avian vet next week (surprisingly hard to find!). In the meantime, I was hoping someone could tell us what kind of bird this is. Itā€™s about 8ā€ from head to tail. Weā€™re feeding it a mix of seed, pellets and veggies and fruit (loves bananas!), and try to give as much social time and handling as it likes (very happy climbing all up and down my arms and shoulders).

Also, it seems to have some discoloration on the beak. Is this common, and should we take it to an emergency vet? The poor thing are and drank like it hadnā€™t eaten in days, but seems well enough otherwise.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Attachments

• 5391C242-8969-4631-9390-87ED583240D7.jpg
    5391C242-8969-4631-9390-87ED583240D7.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 3CF84CDB-19CF-4127-A0F7-F6342C136FB1.jpg
    3CF84CDB-19CF-4127-A0F7-F6342C136FB1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 31A69BFB-58C1-4756-B5D3-B052FB5F233B.jpg
    31A69BFB-58C1-4756-B5D3-B052FB5F233B.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 126

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!!

Looks like a scaly breasted lorikeet, indeed a kind of parrot. Thank you for saving it! You could have a new best friend there, lories are very outgoing engaging little birds. Love to be part of the family.

Letā€™s begin with the assumption you may might nott find the family:

please do all the research you can on their diet. Lories are nectivores, primary diet being nectar and pollen. Your standard parrot mix will NOT be good for him at all, and will do damage to his health. Jump online and find, on Amazon even, Lorie or Lorikeet food. In the meantime fresh tropical fruits and assorted vegetables will be a fair substitute.

Watch their poop! Lorikeets are known as birds with watery poop they shoot out, not necessarily down. You might get poop on the wall near the cage. Towels!

Research this precious gem as much as you can! They are wonderful companions who need VERY specialized care.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
From your description and photos, not seeing a reason for a trip to an emergency Vet. The coloration of the Beck looks good. There is a minor chip on the end of the upper Beck and have the Avian Vet trim /smoothen that end.

Be watchful of breathing problems /difficulties over the next several days.

As an Amazon Snob, I can state that you do not have an Amazon!

Thank-you for bringing this Parrot into your home!

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
first, thank you for rescuing this wayward bird.
I notice it has a band on it's leg. That's a good place to start to identify where it might have come from. I don't know how to decode the info on it but the avian vet you have an appointment with should be able to help.

and as stated above these birds do take a special diet.

texsize

OP
C

christinalea

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks so much for your help, guys!! Iā€™d never even heard of a lorikeet! I just removed all of the seed and have only romaine, banana, raspberries and strawberry in the dish. Poor thing mustā€™ve been starving to have eaten so much seed! I hope it is ok after the homeless stint and my seed feed! :eek: I also just ordered the special nectar food to arrive tomorrow from Amazon. This is seriously the sweetest bird!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
What an absolutely beauuuutiful burd you have there! Thank you for saving Orphan's life. :)

From phone

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Thank you for taking this little one in and reaching out for help!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It can also be viewed as the Honeymoon Period. Assure your Parrot spends time with everyone! It's called socializing and is important to assuring that everyone can handle the parrot and everyone including the parrot are equally comfortable.

Vantage Point:
- It is NEVER the fault of the Parrot!
- It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human!

Any problems or issues when looked at from this Vantage Point will allow you to quickly see what you (the Humans) are doing wrong and quickly correct it.

Moving at the Speed of the Parrot:
- At some point, your Parrot will pull back, lung or bite. It is likely that you have exceed your Parrot's comfort zone. Slow-down, back-up and proceed at a slower pace.
- Parrot's work from a position of Trust! Remember, near everything wants to eat them. Always work to build Trust!

Enjoy!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Bless you for taking this little guy in. He is indeed a lorikeet. This forum will become one of your best resources , filled with knowledgeable folks who will always put a parrots best interests first. Read, read, read and use the search function. Got a name for the little one yet?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Again, if you donā€™t find itā€™s original owners:

What sailboat just said is so key here. A lot of times you see this pattern with new birds:

1. New birds are often on their best behavior
2. After a month or two, you MAY see a change in behavior, possibly towards more aggression. This bird has the intelligence of a two year old, and understands the concept of boundaries. So they often push their limits in a new unfamiliar environment to see whatā€™s acceptable and what isnā€™t. Set clear boundaries and stick to them. It will learn and begin honoring those boundaries.
3. Bird calms down to super sweet again once they learn their place.

Above is common but not absolute. This bird may stay super sweet. But if it does start acting up, itā€™s becuase itā€™s being the toddler it actually is.

If youā€™ve never had a parrot before, understand parrots are like dogs in that they crave to be with you. Very sociable. As such, please donā€™t keep this bird couped up in the cage 24/7. They arenā€™t finches or canaries. this bird would want to be out and about with you all when youā€™re home. Hold it often. What most parrot owners do is have the birds out on a playstands that are separate from the cage.

KEEP THE CAGE IN A COMMON AREA WITH LOTS OF TRAFFIC. Living room is ideal. This will go a long way to helping the bird feel part of the family. New owners make the mistake of putting a cage in a separate room then leaving the bird there never letting it out. That encourages screaming.

Speaking of screaming: PARROTS ARE NOISY. You just have to cope with a certain level of noise. That said, there are limits, boundaries. When the bird screams, DO NOT COME RUNNING. If youā€™re in the same room, leave immediately, wait out of sight until there is a slight break in the noise then come running with treats.

1. Screaming is rewarded with people leaving
2. Quiet is rewarded with lots of love and attention.

This is a common mistake parrot owners make: bird screams, people come running to shut it up. Birds LEARN, hey are trained just like dogs are. When you come running he learns that screaming gets people to come to him, and he screams more and more for attention.

Cause and effect.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

If heā€™s a permenant resident, make sure you get an appropriately sized cage. A ā€œparakeet cageā€ is far too small. This bird will need a cage with a minimum footprint of 30ā€x32ā€ for a permanent residence.

OP
C

christinalea

Feb 15, 2018
You all are the best, thank you! :D My daughter named it Citrus. As of right now, Iā€™m the only one actually handling it because sheā€™s just not ready. So, for now sheā€™s just spends most of her time after school and before bed sitting with Citrus and reading him/her book after book...after book. This is pretty exciting stuff for a seven year old! (And her mom!)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Can I tell you, thatā€™s how we often recommend starting off with a new bird who might be scared? Just sit by the bird and read to it. Let it become familiar with your voice, learn your presence is a positive experience.

Youā€™re already off to a rip roaring start :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
all sound advice. Also try joining 911parrotalert on facebook and let them know you found a Lorikeet. Avoid posting info like the leg band as less than reputable people will say it's their bird using googled pictures so they can then go flip the bird for some quick cash

Especially good finding an Avian vet! They'll be able to find anything wrong with them if there is anything. Plus if the owner is from the area they almost certainly went to the same vet or a nearby one and the vet might be able to help re-unite them with their family!

Hey, who knows if you find the family you may suddenly get some pangs to go find a different feather baby ;) Welcome to the crazy bird club

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello, Welcome & Bless You! :heart:

Thank you so much for taking him in & for joining us!

I will continue to follow his story!

Most Reactions

Latest posts