Help

Skipper436

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have joined this forum seeking advice.
I have had my pet cockatiel for over a year, we were getting on great he would come out if his cage and whistle and sing, we would play peek a boo and he would sit and dance on my shoulder, he always had a bit of an attitude but recently this last couple of weeks he would start screaming and then would fly and try and bit my face and the only way I can get him into his cage again is with a towel as he bites until I bleed, why is this?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have joined this forum seeking advice.
I have had my pet cockatiel for over a year, we were getting on great he would come out if his cage and whistle and sing, we would play peek a boo and he would sit and dance on my shoulder, he always had a bit of an attitude but recently this last couple of weeks he would start screaming and then would fly and try and bit my face and the only way I can get him into his cage again is with a towel as he bites until I bleed, why is this?
How old is he?

OP
S

Skipper436

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hmm he could be hormonal, if you could post a pick of his cage that would be helpful ;)
This is the only pic I have as it is night at the minute but he is usually out more than he would be in, only at night time or when I leave the house, I would put him in to eat and drink this was video in October.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
This is the only pic I have as it is night at the minute but he is usually out more than he would be in, only at night time or when I leave the house, I would put him in to eat and drink this was video in October.
View attachment 33554
Hmm, for some reason I can't view the video

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Stop towel. Its going to take time to re earn trust after that.

You can train to return to cage hands off. I was able to train my un tame budgies and at first my hand phobic quaker to do this. They caught on really quick.
For the budgies I put the millet by the door, put a bright light over the cage, and shut shades and made rest if house dim. Then I always used the same phrase ( time to go back) and stood behind them with their cage in front. I gentle herd them using their fight or flight distance, I stopped and praised as long as they were moving towards tge Cage, I walked towards them using the phrase when ever they stopped. When they finally went in I praised and praised. I thinknit only took 3 days for them to have it figured out. After that when I started to put up the other burds they would just put themselves up
Same technique for the quaker.

On the behavioral part, it could be a hormones surge, or its so easy to have something happen that breaks their trust. Its happened to me. I just worked to regain trust and did lots and lots of hand feed treats. Other members have called it just starting over. Like its the first day you brought them home and work to get to know them and build trust again.

Because of this toweling, your are definitely going to have to work to regain trust again. In my opinion toweling is only life and death safety situation. At first yiu are going to need to set a side a big chunk of time and patience to work to get him to return to cage when asked. But he will figure it out and with lots if bribes and praise shoukd get good at it

OP
S

Skipper436

Dec 31, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Stop towel. Its going to take time to re earn trust after that.

You can train to return to cage hands off. I was able to train my un tame budgies and at first my hand phobic quaker to do this. They caught on really quick.
For the budgies I put the millet by the door, put a bright light over the cage, and shut shades and made rest if house dim. Then I always used the same phrase ( time to go back) and stood behind them with their cage in front. I gentle herd them using their fight or flight distance, I stopped and praised as long as they were moving towards tge Cage, I walked towards them using the phrase when ever they stopped. When they finally went in I praised and praised. I thinknit only took 3 days for them to have it figured out. After that when I started to put up the other burds they would just put themselves up
Same technique for the quaker.

On the behavioral part, it could be a hormones surge, or its so easy to have something happen that breaks their trust. Its happened to me. I just worked to regain trust and did lots and lots of hand feed treats. Other members have called it just starting over. Like its the first day you brought them home and work to get to know them and build trust again.

Because of this toweling, your are definitely going to have to work to regain trust again. In my opinion toweling is only life and death safety situation. At first yiu are going to need to set a side a big chunk of time and patience to work to get him to return to cage when asked. But he will figure it out and with lots if bribes and praise shoukd get good at it
Thank you this was really helpful and I will try to start over with him again and I will stop the towel thanks so much

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've done things that broke trust myself. Like trying to stuff my burd in a harness.....I really had to work to earn back her trust. But we overcome it and become buddies again.

We have mommy andcme time every evening. When we miss that she gets grumpy parrots are great at teaching us that relationships are continuous commitment and not to be taken for granted.

Spend extra time with him, just hanging out and telling him how great he is. Try for at leat 20 hand feed treats and hellos a day . Make a fuss over him first thing in the morning, make sure you always tell him goodbye when leaving, and as soon as you come home go over and say hello. This really strengthen the bond and makes them feel included and connected to you. Special bedtime routines are great as well.

I hope your update your progress here. I can't wait to hear about him being your buddy again.

Last edited:

Most Reactions