Hi from Western Washington

Bri1090

Aug 17, 2020
Washington
Parrots
Kakariki
Hi, I currently have a green pied female kakariki. :green1:
Hoping to get her a boyfriend in the future. And on the look out for a brown headed parrot. Had one when I was a kid/teen and that bird was my best friend.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you - what is your kakariki’s name? Nice to have another WA peep on here :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Make sure you get a second (or third) parrot because YOU want one, not to keep the 1st on company. Add'l birds can backfire sometimes. And of course 2 (or 3 ) times the work and expense, and you split your attention to each.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome!

As mentioned above, only get another bird for you...because your bird may not like the companion you choose for her, and they could fight. The other issue is that they could like each other too much and then you could have complications to your relationship, as well as potential hormonal factors that could impact health/aggression etc (even if they can't procreate, they can still get"weird" and that can lead to issues).
Either way, they may have to have separate interaction time for each (depending on the dynamics), so make sure you have to time to do that.

Whatever you decide, it's really crucial that you quarantine the new bird for 45 days in room far from your other bird and wash hands/arms/ even consider changing clothes between handling etc. They can be carriers of very serious illness without ever showing any symptoms. Your current bird could make the new bird sick and vice-versa.

That's why it's so important that you only do this if you are fully on-board and have the time for another bird, because it could complicate your life. I am not saying it can't be done, but just trying to provide some food for thought.

How old is your current bird?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts