Hi - I need suggestions for rehoming a lovely goffins cockatoo.

Janicev

Jun 8, 2015
Can anyone provide suggestions on how to find a good home and how to ensure it is a safe place for my girl?

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
1. Set a reasonable adoption fee
2. Require a home visit if you really want to
3. Try to find adoptees with parrot experience and handling medium sized birds
4. Ask lots of questions and whatever you're curious about! If you get a weird vibe, please go with your gut and do not adopt your baby to just anyone you get a bad feeling from!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry you are having to rehome your bird.
All of the stickies in this forum are good ones, they are the ones at the top in pink.
I would suggest reading through them all, and hopefully it will give you some tips on how to make sure the home they are going to is a good one.
I wish the best of luck to you.

It will also help if you put your general location. Many birds have gone to wonderful homes with other forum members.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Vet references are a good way to go. If they can’t name an avian certified vet near you that’s a bad sign. We are hopefully about to adopt an older amazon parrot and the first thing we disclosed was our preferred vet. I also like to offer to keep the previous owner up to date on vet tests & results if they’d like for the first couple months or so, but that may be because my experience so far has been with an older bird. I know if it were me it would make me feel more assured they were in a good place.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
let people know where you live would be my first ask.....

Most Reactions