Help choosing a birb

Vdoskyy

New member
Joined
Jan 14, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
5
Hi everyone. I’ve had experience with birds - i’ve taken care of macaws, indian ringnecks, cockatiels, and a sun conure. However this was at my parent’s place and I’ve since moved out.

I have witheld getting a bird after my sun conure passed away but now I’m ready.

I live with my husband, we live in a big apartment so I do need to take neighbors into consideration (noise). I’d love to go for a cockatoo but obviously that isn’t ideal. I also don’t have kids.

I’d like to hear some suggestions. I was thinking of a green cheek conure or a quaker, even though i am a bird person and know exactly what to expect regarding certain behaviors my husband has never owned one,
anyway, if anyone has other suggestions i’d love to hear them. I’ll be home majority of the day, only out for around 3hours. I have a big cage from when I still had my sun conure which i’m planning on using again. I do like playful and cuddly birds, but i would never 100% expect any sort of “ideal” behavior from any bird
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0766.webp
    IMG_0766.webp
    165.9 KB · Views: 157
Let the bird pick you.....sometimes a bird will just come to the edge or the cage or glass thing and say I want you. Pick the one that comes to you. Ask if you can stick your arm in in a pet store.
 
I agree. Shop around. Sometimes you two see each other and click.
I went to 3-4 places today until I found the click and after hours of driving & interacting I found a little pineapple conure, we arrived home around an hour ago - he’s eating, lets me pet him and looks comfortable so far so we are off to a great start <3 he’s also a rescue so that’s a bonus
 
Anytime someone expresses interest in getting a parrot, I always recommend green cheek conures. I have 5 parrots, including a rose breasted cockatoo, b&g macaw, and african grey, and my favorite species - hands down - is still a green cheek conure. So much love and personality in a perfect pocket parrot size! They also make excellent apartment birds. Very quiet and manageable.

Highly recommended! 👌
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom